Myth or Truth? Topics that are actually not covered on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You would be surprized. A few topics I found that are not in the MCAT topic list:

1) Ortho/para/meta directors for benzene
2) E1/E2 is not in the list (Sn1 and Sn2 are)

What else?

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen elimination on the practice AAMC exams. The otho/para on the other hand I haven't yet.

B.
REACTIONS, REACTION MECHANISMS, AND THE PRINCIPLES INVOLVED

Found on the last page under "General Concepts in Organic Chemistry." I'm sure this includes E1/E2 as well as Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution (which implies the knowledge of ortho-/para- and meta- activating/deactivating groups).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is all that ductous venosus or foramen ovale stuff on it? My Kaplan instructor last year told me it wasn't, but it shows up on old tests.

Yes, you should know fetal circulation. This isn't a myth, more a question. Other than Sn1/sn2, E1/E2 and aldol condensation, what other mechanisms should we know? The Halofrom reaction? Hoffman?

the haloform rx is so unpopular that even if it was covered, it would be introduced in a passage. As for the rest of the concepts, they are fair game but the chance that any particular one will show up is little. So just have an idea of all concepts, don't think you have to know everything about them, just that if it shows up in a passage, u can think to urself that you are familiar with it.

EK says that no questions about benezene rings will be on the MCAT. If there are any on aamcs practices it is probably because those are exams from administrations prior to 2003...

EK says that no questions about benezene rings will be on the MCAT. If there are any on aamcs practices it is probably because those are exams from administrations prior to 2003...
I had one on my April 12th administration. The question was along the lines of "The X substituent is ________ and thus _____" with options for electron-donating/withdrawing for the first blank and activating/deactivating for the second. I was REALLY glad I had read through the aromatic section on EK anyway, obviously, and also really PO'd that the AAMC would say benzenes wouldn't be on the MCAT and then put them there.:mad:

the haloform rx is so unpopular that even if it was covered, it would be introduced in a passage. As for the rest of the concepts, they are fair game but the chance that any particular one will show up is little. So just have an idea of all concepts, don't think you have to know everything about them, just that if it shows up in a passage, u can think to urself that you are familiar with it.

Well, I am glad I learned halform and the above reactions, I wish I hadn't wasted my time memorizing them. Well, at least I don't have to memorize hoffman....I think it would extremely helpful to know what groups are electron donating and electron withdrawing. Learning ortho para meta takes 30 seconds at most...