Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
1. DO school is essentially MD school lite
No. Osteopathic school curriculum is the same as allopathic, except osteopathic students take an additional class. It is the same rigor, and graduates of both MD and DO have the same end point: A doctor.

2. All DO grads go into primary care.
Wrong. More so than MD grads, but I've seen/know of/met DO vascular surgeons, neurosurgeons, dermatologists, plastic surgeons, general surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc.

3. Everyone at a DO school just didn't get into MD school.
I have a friend from undergrad who had a 4.0 (Exactly. He showed me his transcript) with exceptional MCAT scores who got into a few MD and a few DO schools. He went to a DO school because he wanted to stay close to home. It was also the cheapest option. He is one of the smartest people I know.

4. Osteopathic doctors almost always work in rural regions.
No. Osteopathic doctors work at academic medical centers, in large cities, in rural towns, and in specialty centers. Wherever you can find MDs, you can probably find DOs too.

5. "Prestigious" places won't hire osteopathic doctors.
Tell that to the 100 osteopathic doctors working at the Cleveland clinic. Maybe one of the former surgeon generals of the army would like to hear that too. Maybe the current chief medical officer for the US Coast Guard. Also some of the olympic chief medical officers.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
most of the time though...this is accurate, I hate to say. And sorry, but n=1 anecdotes are worthless.
Its a generalization that isn't helpful or necessary nor completely true. So STOP IT

Reactions: ems2doc
OP
ems2doc
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
most of the time though...this is accurate, I hate to say. And sorry, but n=1 anecdotes are worthless.
Stop pretending to know anything. There are many reasons one would choose an osteopathic school:

- Belief in osteopathic manipulation and a desire to learn it.
- Location: An osteopathic school might be closer to home or a spouse/SO
- Cost: Maybe it's a better option financially.
- Better feel socially/academically.
- Better campus/location.

Last edited:

OsteopathicHopeful

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
yeah because mission doesn't matter at all. people only become doctors for their own good.
considering my stats, this may not mean anything to anyone but I choose D.O. because of the strong relational focus and primary care objectives osteopathic medicine takes. I believe osteopathic medicine fits in well with the change in health care and the need for more less expensive treatment options like OMT. Even if my stats were off the chart, I still would choose osteopathic medicine.

OP
ems2doc
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student

RTchill

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Since we're throwing names around: Jim Weinstein, the current CEO of the medical center I work at (Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center) is a DO, I believe he went to CCOM.

We get emails from him weekly, and I didn't realize he was a D.O. until one of the residents told me very recently because he just goes by and signs all of his emails with "Dr. Jim Weinstein" (no D.O. or M.D. after his name)

https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/faculty/facultydb/view.php?uid=220

Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
1. DO school is essentially MD school lite
No. Osteopathic school curriculum is the same as allopathic, except osteopathic students take an additional class. It is the same rigor, and graduates of both MD and DO have the same end point: A doctor.

2. All DO grads go into primary care.
Wrong. More so than MD grads, but I've seen/know of/met DO vascular surgeons, neurosurgeons, dermatologists, plastic surgeons, general surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc.

3. Everyone at a DO school just didn't get into MD school.
I have a friend from undergrad who had a 4.0 (Exactly. He showed me his transcript) with exceptional MCAT scores who got into a few MD and a few DO schools. He went to a DO school because he wanted to stay close to home. It was also the cheapest option. He is one of the smartest people I know.

4. Osteopathic doctors almost always work in rural regions.
No. Osteopathic doctors work at academic medical centers, in large cities, in rural towns, and in specialty centers. Wherever you can find MDs, you can probably find DOs too.

5. "Prestigious" places won't hire osteopathic doctors.
Tell that to the 100 osteopathic doctors working at the Cleveland clinic. Maybe one of the former surgeon generals of the army would like to hear that too. Maybe the current chief medical officer for the US Coast Guard. Also some of the olympic chief medical officers.
This is a bad a** post.

Reactions: JPickos9989

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
The only people who give two craps about DO/MD are pre-meds. Your patients will not care.
they likely won't even know what the difference is.

end of the day, you walk in the room say hi i'm dr. x and treat them and they leave feeling better. that's all they care about. they don't care what school you went to. just be a good doctor and a decent person and you will have a good patient base.

Reactions: OsteopathicHopeful
May 3, 2014
Status
The only people who give two craps about DO/MD are pre-meds. Your patients will not care.
Yeah, but what about other people in the medical profession? They may not think of DOs equal to MDs. Some may not even think DOs are "Doctors"

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, but what about other people in the medical profession? They may not think of DOs equal to MDs. Some may not even think DOs are "Doctors"
People in the profession who matter know full well that DOs are doctors. If they didn't, they wouldn't pay them as much, they wouldn't fill physician jobs with DOs, etc. What matters to those people are where you trained (i.e. residency) and whether you're board certified (i.e. how much money you can bring in and how much they can talk about your credentials).

Now getting a competitive residency may be harder as a DO, but no one is questioning whether DOs are physicians, and some do get competitive residencies in competitive programs.

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student

This is genuinely how I feel about your post...

OsteopathicHopeful

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Haha....yeah but nobody educated or truly involved in the profession of healthcare feels that way. JimmyB123 is just ignorant :)
I guess I should preface besides some older MDs and maybe a few D-bags.
At my hospital I see no discrimination between MD and DO....in fact the large orthopedic group in town is run by 2 D.O. The group has 4 D.O. and 4 M.D. in the group. A D.O. runs the journal club for the group and basically has all authority of the practice.

Sep 26, 2014
Status
Mike Sampson, head physician for World Wrestling Entertainment, is a DO.
A typical day at the office: "Hey Doc, I just got hit in the back twice with a chair, thrown out of the ring and then a 300 pound dude belly flopped on me from the top rope. I still won the match though - some buff chick stormed in and slapped the other guy unconscious. Could you do some OMM on me? My back is a little stiff."

Tirian

5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2013
Georgia
Status
A typical day at the office: "Hey Doc, I just got hit in the back twice with a chair, thrown out of the ring and then a 300 pound dude belly flopped on me from the top rope. I still won the match though - some buff chick stormed in and slapped the other guy unconscious. Could you do some OMM on me? My back is a little stiff."
Or...."Hey, Doc? Jerry isn't feeling so good," and Jerry Lawler is having a heart attack during a live pay-per-view, and they get him out and treat him and he lives. :)

Reactions: MaduNotSoff

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know you just got a lot of crap for saying this, but it unfortunately happens. I've worked with two MDs so far in 3rd year who bashed their DO colleagues in some way. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that those MDs don't think of the DOs as actual doctors, they absolutely did not see themselves as equal to their DO colleagues. Thankfully the vast majority of MDs I've worked with do not share this view.

I've also had a couple patients tell me that they were seeing a DO as their PCP in the past but prefer an MD.

It's not at all common, but it happens.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
I know you just got a lot of crap for saying this, but it unfortunately happens. I've worked with two MDs so far in 3rd year who bashed their DO colleagues in some way. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that those MDs don't think of the DOs as actual doctors, they absolutely did not see themselves as equal to their DO colleagues. Thankfully the vast majority of MDs I've worked with do not share this view.

I've also had a couple patients tell me that they were seeing a DO as their PCP in the past but prefer an MD.

It's not at all common, but it happens.
Thank you for recognizing its not at all common. I assume you corrected those patients and said they are in fact equal?

Side note I have heard people prefer DOs. Its not at all common but from my time shadowing it happens. I guess some people like the idea of an alternative.

karling

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for recognizing its not at all common. I assume you corrected those patients and said they are in fact equal?

Side note I have heard people prefer DOs. Its not at all common but from my time shadowing it happens. I guess some people like the idea of an alternative.
I have also heard people prefer DOs. I think it can be summarized like this: Some people have preferences (for either MD or DO) and most don't care either way.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
I have also heard people prefer DOs. I think it can be summarized like this: Some people have preferences (for either MD or DO) and most don't care either way.
Yep. I find it interesting that some people only bring it up that some people prefers MDs. I think they try to use it as proof that DOs are inferior? I will let ismet explain why she wanted to bring that up.

But do some people's preference for DOs prove that DOs are better? Does it prove people are prejducied towards MDs? I don't think so. I would say that somes preference for MDs doesn't prove MDs are better are that there is DO prejudice. At most you could say some are ignorant towards DOs and will just assume they are MDs. So who cares about that?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I've worked at a level 1 trauma for a few years now. Only heard this one time by a nurse. Patients usually don't care. What I have seen (which is horribly wrong) is that some patients think any male who enters the room is the doctor and female being the nurse. Pretty upsetting but it was mainly older patients who have said this.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
I've worked at a level 1 trauma for a few years now. Only heard this one time by a nurse. Patients usually don't care. What I have seen (which is horribly wrong) is that some patients think any male who enters the room is the doctor and female being the nurse. Pretty upsetting but it was mainly older patients who have said this.
I would say that's much more of a problem in the hospital then anything else.

Reactions: ptr28 and TactFR44

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yep. I find it interesting that some people only bring it up that some people prefers MDs. I think they try to use it as proof that DOs are inferior? I will let ismet explain why he wanted to bring that up.

But do some people's preference for DOs prove that DOs are better? Does it prove people are prejducied towards MDs? I don't think so. I would say that somes preference for MDs doesn't prove MDs are better are that there is DO prejudice. At most you could say some are ignorant towards DOs and will just assume they are MDs. So who cares about that?
I'm a girl.

I brought it up to go along with an earlier post that someone made about patients not knowing the difference. Some do. And as an MD student working with primarily MD physicians, I have yet to hear a patient say they prefer DOs. I'm sure plenty of people do, I just haven't experienced that.

Be careful about reading too much into what people post. Just because I mentioned my experience regarding MD/DO does not mean I think DOs are inferior...

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
I'm a girl.

I brought it up to go along with an earlier post that someone made about patients not knowing the difference. Some do. And as an MD student working with primarily MD physicians, I have yet to hear a patient say they prefer DOs. I'm sure plenty of people do, I just haven't experienced that.

Be careful about reading too much into what people post. Just because I mentioned my experience regarding MD/DO does not mean I think DOs are inferior...
Well I was just wondering what your objective was of bringing up that point?

Neveretheless when you see DOs being trashed (as you claim you do) do you correct people or ignore it?

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well I was just wondering what your objective was of bringing up that point?

Neveretheless when you see DOs being trashed (as you claim you do) do you correct people or ignore it?
I already told you my objective. That "patients don't know the difference" is false.

I did not correct either attending who made comments about DOs. My response would not have changed their opinions (both were very opinionated in many other ways and seemed very set in their ways), and would probably have negatively affected my evaluation and grade. The couple times a patient has said something about it, I simply say that a DO goes through the same training and is just as qualified as an MD, and then I get on with what I need to do with the patient, because I don't have time to go into a lesson about it.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
I already told you my objective. That "patients don't know the difference" is false.

I did not correct either attending who made comments about DOs. My response would not have changed their opinions (both were very opinionated in many other ways and seemed very set in their ways), and would probably have negatively affected my evaluation and grade. The couple times a patient has said something about it, I simply say that a DO goes through the same training and is just as qualified as an MD, and then I get on with what I need to do with the patient, because I don't have time to go into a lesson about it.
Well would you agree that most patients don't know and don't care about the difference? Only a small fraction know about the difference and an even smaller fraction of that small fraction care?

I think your explanation to the patients is more then adequate. Nor do I expect you to fight with attendings. I was just worried that you confirmed those patients fears that MDs are better.

Last edited:

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well would you agree that most patients don't know and don't care about the difference? On a small fraction know about the difference and an even smaller fraction of that small fraction care?

I think your explanation to the patients is more then adequate. Nor do I expect you to fight with attendings. I was just worried that you confirmed those patients fears that MDs are better.
No, most don't know or care about the difference. But I wouldn't say it's an absolute "patients don't know." Small fraction yes.

I would not confirm someone's fears that MDs are better because I don't believe that MDs are better. I actually worked with a lot of DO residents on my family medicine rotation and got to try my hand at some OMT for back pain. While I would not feel comfortable in my abilities to perform those maneuvers myself in the future as a practicing physician, I think that experience has made me more likely to suggest OMT to patients instead of the usual "rest, NSAIDs, PT" suggestion for musculoskeletal lower back pain.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
No, most don't know or care about the difference. But I wouldn't say it's an absolute "patients don't know." Small fraction yes.

I would not confirm someone's fears that MDs are better because I don't believe that MDs are better. I actually worked with a lot of DO residents on my family medicine rotation and got to try my hand at some OMT for back pain. While I would not feel comfortable in my abilities to perform those maneuvers myself in the future as a practicing physician, I think that experience has made me more likely to suggest OMT to patients instead of the usual "rest, NSAIDs, PT" suggestion for musculoskeletal lower back pain.
I said most not all but w/e. I get your point and agree with it.

I think it's awesome you got some OMT experience. I heard about it happening but really cool to get some confirmation from an MD about this.