na

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

researcher554

Reaction score
na

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD is extremely unlikely with a 504 mcat and very little clinical experience. If you want to apply md, retake and get a 510+ and beef up your clinical hours. You’re competitive for most DO, but still increase clinical hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is too low for MD programs, and you don't have any rural health experience for NEOMED, LSUS, CMU, or Marshall. Meharry and Morehouse are HBCU's and I don't see a fit with their mission.

What do your clinical and nonclinical hours comprise?

Your chances for MD interviews are limited with a MCAT of 504 and only 90 hours of clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Oakland Beaumont
West Virginia
Medical College Wisconsin
NOVA MD
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Your best chances are at DO schools and I suggest these:
OU-HCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
UP-KYCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
TUNCOM

Smell the coffee. Your best hope is getting into the Ohio DO school. It's cheap, enormous and has some decent training sites. It's got a decent reputation and, from what I've seen on SDN, they aren't over the top crazy about osteopathic therapy.

Whatever you do, don't jeopardize your Ohio residency. That is your ace in the hole.

Reactions: 1 user
Smell the coffee. Your best hope is getting into the Ohio DO school. It's cheap, enormous and has some decent training sites. It's got a decent reputation and, from what I've seen on SDN, they aren't over the top crazy about osteopathic therapy.

Whatever you do, don't jeopardize your Ohio residency. That is your ace in the hole.
It’s affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic, which is a plus.

One thing to keep in mind is that Covid shut almost everything down for clinical volunteering. I graduated early so Covid hit my freshman year. Thank you for the suggestions! Anything regarding Chicago and other regions outside the Midwest for MD?
Also thoughts on schools like Wayne State, Michigan State, Uni of Wisconsin, University of Louisville, OSU, and Cincinnati etc?

Clinical hours for volunteering was assisting in over 4 units. Also shadowed neurosurgery and pulmonary. One thing that was very limiting was the start of Covid early on in my college career. Especially in the North East Ohio Region, they had just brought people back on campus about a year ago - which is when I started to focus more on research.

Also, I thought neomed focused on urban health, rather than rural?
Definitely not a "rather than" rural. Underserved communities yes, so you will have some rotations in Youngstown, Akron, Canton, and Cleveland. But the campus is in Rootstown, which you probably know is not in an urban setting. As usual, take the advice from current students and admissions representatives more, but the focus is community-based interprofessional healthcare.

Definitely not a "rather than" rural. Underserved communities yes, so you will have some rotations in Youngstown, Akron, Canton, and Cleveland. But the campus is in Rootstown, which you probably know if not in an urban setting.
Okay, I was asking as I know they have partner programs with local universities that aim at Urban health. Thus why I was confused. Thank you for clearing this up.

Also thoughts on schools like Wayne State, Michigan State, Uni of Wisconsin, University of Louisville, OSU, and Cincinnati etc?
One thing to keep in mind is that Covid shut almost everything down for clinical volunteering. I graduated early so Covid hit my freshman year. Thank you for the suggestions! Anything regarding Chicago and other regions outside the Midwest for MD?
Your clinical exposure hours are far to low for Chicago schools such as Loyola or Rush.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing for you to keep in mind is that absolutely every applicant has faced issues and restrictions caused by Covid. Yet somehow, despite the limitations, most have figured out how to get it all done and done well. So your 90 hours are not impressive and need to be expanded. I know this is upsetting to you because you have been viewing your application as top notch outside of the MCAT. ( Outside my MCAT, I have a pretty solid application, I compared mine to a Med Student who scored 520, my application is as good as his outside the MCAT”).
You do have lots of research so why MD/DO and not PhD.?
Can you tell us about your 500 hours of nonclinical volunteering.
I assume you are at least thinking about applying this current cycle. Is that correct? If so, You might want to put it off until the 23-24 cycle. This will allow you to retake the MCAT and buff up your clinical experience hours.

Reactions: 3 users
One thing for you to keep in mind is that absolutely every applicant has faced issues and restrictions caused by Covid. Yet somehow, despite the limitations, most have figured out how to get it all done and done well. So your 90 hours are not impressive and need to be expanded. I know this is upsetting to you because you have been viewing your application as top notch outside of the MCAT. ( Outside my MCAT, I have a pretty solid application, I compared mine to a Med Student who scored 520, my application is as good as his outside the MCAT”).
You do have lots of research so why MD/DO and not PhD.?
Can you tell us about your 500 hours of nonclinical volunteering.
I assume you are at least thinking about applying this current cycle. Is that correct? If so, You might want to put it off until the 23-24 cycle. This will allow you to retake the MCAT and buff up your clinical experience hours.

In terms of community service, I spent a lot of time with an institution that aimed to organize events for local communities to bring people together and host both educational and social events.

When I mentioned the Covid, it was more about the local area here where I live. They wouldn’t allow anyone and there was very limited online opportunities given by hospitals - most of which were for students who have not had any experience at all. But I do understand your point in that 90 is not as much as those who have completed 200+ hours of clinical experience. So thank you for pointing that out and I do acknowledge it as a weak point.

In terms of the PhD question, while I do enjoy and like research - my intent isn’t fully research. As in I would rather be a MD/DO with no research than a PhD without a medical degree.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Last edited:
Your clinical exposure hours are far to low for Chicago schools such as Loyola or Rush.
thank you for the feedback! Any feedback on the other mentioned schools in either the original post or comments?

thank you for the feedback! Any feedback on the other mentioned schools in either the original post or comments?
Faha's list is good, and I'd even say he was being generous. MD is going to be difficult with your MCAT, unless you are a perfect mission fit - something that only you would know from doing your own research. If you don't plan to take a gap-year, it would be advisable that you accept early on that your best chance will come from your IS DO school.

Unless you get a screaming score on an MCAT retake, you have no shot at any of those places. Have you signed up for an MSAR? You need to look at the admissions profile for every school you are considering. I don't subscribe anymore but I think you'd find the MCAT averages really discouraging.

If you get into OU's DO School, you can still have a great career. Go look at OUCOM's residency placement. Start shadowing a DO NOW! Make your application look like you've always wanted to be a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
The only MD schools worth applying to with a 504 MCAT are Toledo and Wright State. If you are going to apply (which I would not suggest with only 90 hours of clinical experience), you would need to apply to 10-15 DO programs.

I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but with 90 hours of clinical exposure, my student interviewers would eat you alive.
This would be under the assumption they get that far

Status
Not open for further replies.