NADDS and promotions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm former Navy HPSPer now NADDS in Anesthesiology. When I was getting my paperwork together for superceeding to LT, the folks back in Bethesda mentioned that's important to go LT as soon as possible as my time in NADDS counts towards my time in grade as an LT, and could affect my future promotions.

So, my question is, how long do most residents/attendings remain 0-3 before going 0-4? I noticed a fair number of PGY-2's and above who were at O-4, they all seemed to have been prior GMO's. Does a GMO tour just get make them more likely to be promoted when they are below zone? For me, an out of the loop NADDS guy, will I still make O-4 the first time I am in zone, and how long is that, usually. If I get my deferment extended for fellowship how will that effect things besides increasing my time in grade.

Members don't see this ad.

MTGas2B said:
Hey all,

I'm former Navy HPSPer now NADDS in Anesthesiology. When I was getting my paperwork together for superceeding to LT, the folks back in Bethesda mentioned that's important to go LT as soon as possible as my time in NADDS counts towards my time in grade as an LT, and could affect my future promotions.

So, my question is, how long do most residents/attendings remain 0-3 before going 0-4? I noticed a fair number of PGY-2's and above who were at O-4, they all seemed to have been prior GMO's. Does a GMO tour just get make them more likely to be promoted when they are below zone? For me, an out of the loop NADDS guy, will I still make O-4 the first time I am in zone, and how long is that, usually. If I get my deferment extended for fellowship how will that effect things besides increasing my time in grade.

Only about 1 in 50 get promoted below zone. For the rest of us, figure 5 years before promotion and another 6 months before putting it on/getting paid. Regardless of whether you promote in zone or below zone (not happening), you want that time to start ASAP.

GMO_52 said:
Only about 1 in 50 get promoted below zone. For the rest of us, figure 5 years before promotion and another 6 months before putting it on/getting paid. Regardless of whether you promote in zone or below zone (not happening), you want that time to start ASAP.

So, for example. Four years in NADDS then if I did a fellowship a year in fellowship, so when I finally go join the fleet five years later I'm already up for O-4?

Members don't see this ad :)
MTGas2B said:
So, for example. Four years in NADDS then if I did a fellowship a year in fellowship, so when I finally go join the fleet five years later I'm already up for O-4?

This is correct. A friend recieved a full deferment for Neurology, then EMG fellowship (1-year). When she entered the Navy she was in zone for O4 and was promoted near the tail end of her first year.

NavyFS said:
This is correct. A friend recieved a full deferment for Neurology, then EMG fellowship (1-year). When she entered the Navy she was in zone for O4 and was promoted near the tail end of her first year.

although waht is said is correct... there is one thing to add. That you are an O3 when you finish medical school. Thus any years after medical school ( doing nothing, taking a break, out in of the military, in the military, NADDS, FAP..... ) whaterver, all count towards promotion. Thus after that (5 years later) you get selected (virtually 100% of MC get selected to O4), then then about 3-12 months later (depending on your serial number) you get to put the O4 rank on and get paid for it.

hope this helps..
A.