NADDS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does time spent in civilian residency on NADDS count towards the reserve time payback requirement? I am HPSP, currently being paid by civilian hospital as a resident. I will owe 3 years active, plus 5 years IRR when finished with residency. Someone told me that my residency time will count towards the 5 year payback. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Does time spent in civilian residency on NADDS count towards the reserve time payback requirement? I am HPSP, currently being paid by civilian hospital as a resident. I will owe 3 years active, plus 5 years IRR when finished with residency. Someone told me that my residency time will count towards the 5 year payback. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for any replies.

I have had multiple arguments with M1 (BUMED's Personnel department) on this subject. the instruction is not clear and arguements can be made both ways. The general opinion by those who make the decision as to when you are done, is that your 8 year clock of total comissioned service starts when you enter active service. The rationalle is that while you are training in NADDS, you are not available for recall and use to the Navy.

In the end, it is not of great significance. The Navy has not recalled any doctor from the IRR in my lifetime (and I am old. :D) and there is no evidence this will occur in the future.

Your mileage may vary on this one. However, my colleague did a surgery residency x 5 years and then completed his 4 year commitment. He did not need to enter the IRR afterwards. The IRR time was completed during residency.

When you come onto active duty you will get creditable service time for residency and so you'll enter as O-3 with 3 years creditable service - pay will be O3, 2-4 years of service. When you leave active duty after 3 years of service you should only need to be IRR x 2 years.

Your mileage may vary on this one. However, my colleague did a surgery residency x 5 years and then completed his 4 year commitment. He did not need to enter the IRR afterwards. The IRR time was completed during residency.

When you come onto active duty you will get creditable service time for residency and so you'll enter as O-3 with 3 years creditable service - pay will be O3, 2-4 years of service. When you leave active duty after 3 years of service you should only need to be IRR x 2 years.

I haven't separated yet but soon. I would think this would apply. HPSP time is this weird time defined by clear rules, the US code says HPSP time doesn't get promoted, time in service for pay, etc. NADDS is and afterthought and they put you in IRR. You comission as an O-3, you gain time in grade and can even be selected for promotion, I was. The thing I want to know, in hind site is if I could have done NKO or unpaid drill and gotten enough retirement points to get my NADDS years to count towards a reserve retirement.