Nagging profs for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraazy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 of the profs I emailed requesting LORs have yet to respond to me, after 4 days. I had emailed one of them 2 weeks before also. I was thinking at first that they were too busy and didn't get my email or something, but I really don't know what to do now. Both of them have written great recommendations for me before (for summer progs, scholarships, etc...), so I don't think they suddenly decided that I am no longer worthy.

So basically my question is: Should I (1) Let it go and ask someone else for LORs, or (2) corner them and ask in person.

If I decide to ask them in person, what is the protocol? Can I just show up unannounced and tell them? What's the protocol?

Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your profs could just be really busy as a lot of ppl are asking for LORs this time of year. Maybe you could follow up with a phone call.

I've asked for LORs in person before. First of all, it should be someone who you know would have no problem writing you an EXCELLENT letter. I then scheduled an appt with them, asked them for the letter, and provided them wtih a CV, and a rough draft of a personal statement. You should also provide them with all of the necessary materials/info to submit the letter once theyre done.
:luck:

2 of the profs I emailed requesting LORs have yet to respond to me, after 4 days. I had emailed one of them 2 weeks before also. I was thinking at first that they were too busy and didn't get my email or something, but I really don't know what to do now. Both of them have written great recommendations for me before (for summer progs, scholarships, etc...), so I don't think they suddenly decided that I am no longer worthy.

So basically my question is: Should I (1) Let it go and ask someone else for LORs, or (2) corner them and ask in person.

If I decide to ask them in person, what is the protocol? Can I just show up unannounced and tell them? What's the protocol?

Thanks for your help!!!

DON'T Email to request a LOR. Email them with a request to set up a meeting. You really ought to go ask for all your LOR's IN PERSON.

Members don't see this ad :)
DON'T Email to request a LOR. Email them with a request to set up a meeting. You really ought to go ask for all your LOR's IN PERSON.

I asked them in the email if we could set up a meeting, but I made it clear that the point of the meeting would be the LOR. That's what I've always done, and it's worked quite well. I don't know if it would be fair to just ask for a meeting and blindside them with a LOR request. Meeting them in person would also be quite difficult, since I'm no longer in school; I figure since they've already written recs for me (which have been kept on file) they really only have to update them and change "xxx scholarship" to "med school".

I agree with all the advice here. Call to set up a meeting. Maybe they can't remember who you are?

I would think that these people know you fairly well since you are asking for an LOR, but I went to a big school so I understand if maybe they don't know you too well or they are busy or forgot... whatever the case, make your face seen!

Personally, I just dropped by my profs' office. But also, I have known them for over 4 years and they were fully aware for the past 2 years that the LOR request was coming. I gave them notice in April, requesting for May just to be sure. Of course my PI's LOR didn't come 'til much later since I don't like pushing him cause he is so busy--hence the uber early deadline. That way when you ask again-- while it's still early for you-- they will be like oh crap, and get on it! (and your LOR will be on time =)

You really need to make yourself seen. Bring a CV in to help them out. Even if someone knows you really well, it helps jog their memory and remind them of the things that you would like them to address. It also helps so that each of your letters addresses different qualities, not overlapping on the 'you are so great' part too much.

Absolutely do this. It's hardly blindsiding them, they know that students ask for LORs all the time. And be sure to have with you your resume, transcript, personal statment (if you have it written), a list of schools that you're applying to (you never know if their college roomie is now dean of admissions), and a list of what you would like said about yourself. Be proactive in your LORs! Don't wait and hope that they write something nice.

Good advice here. Ask in person, but it's okay to follow-up with emails once they've agreed. Offer your CV, transcripts, and personal statement, along with the waiver of access, and "anything else they might need." Tell them when you need the letter.

I didn't need mine right away but I told the writers I needed them in 6 weeks. I felt that was plenty of time for them to work a couple of hours into their schedule to write the letter without feeling like they had to scramble to make room. Too far out and I was worried I'd have to badger them forever.

I followed-up in three weeks with a "thank you for agreeing to write my letter" note. That is a good non-offensive reminder that they've got a letter to write. In fact, I got one reply that the letter was done and another reply that it was on his todo list (and he finished it two days later). I hope they were good ones!

Turns out one prof was traveling, other was just busy. Meeting with them this week and next!

You know what's embarassing? When your prof has to explain what a CV is to you because you don't realize that a resume is also a curriculum vitae :(

More embarassing is the fact that it's your favorite prof, who up till that point thought you were a smart kid. lol

Thanks for your help!!!

Well, you are getting to the end of the spring semester for many of them...which usually can be very stressful time for them. I think the best route is to go see them in person, getting an appointment.