Nail care in podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bill2022

Reaction score
Hi!

New doc here.

I’ve been struggling with the topic for years now, and I can’t find the right answer. I get different takes depending on who’s talking.

What’s the deal with nail care in podiatry?

Currently we see patients and just bill a 99213 or a 99203, regardless of DM or not.

Toe pain codes and office visit. F/u 2 months

Never used 11722/20.

What’s the correct way to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I do only 99212 for non-DM nail care (I always include the R54 ICD10 + B35.1).

Otherwise, DM get 99213 + 11720/21 so long as supportive neuropathy, PAD, etc. and comprehensive foot exam.

I never bill 11719 as it never pays.

I do only 99212 for non-DM nail care (I always include the R54 ICD10 + B35.1).

Otherwise, DM get 99213 + 11720/21 so long as supportive neuropathy, PAD, etc. and comprehensive foot exam.

I never bill 11719 as it never pays.

Do you get paid for the E&M plus the procedure code? I was taught to only bill either an E&M or a procedure code, but never both. And that if you do a procedure, it's better to bill that over the E&M code. Just curious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a lot of confusion around this topic. I've been told to only combine 99213 with 11721 if there is a 'new' diagnosis to support the E&M code. Otherwise just bill the 11720/11721.

Definitely a lot of confusion around this topic. I've been told to only combine 99213 with 11721 if there is a 'new' diagnosis to support the E&M code. Otherwise just bill the 11720/11721.
You bill for what you services you provided

New patient for nails. Never seen before in practice. 99203 plus 11721.

If they sit down for follow up appointment. Say hello i'm here for my nails and you debride 6 or more nails you bill a 11721

If they sit down say hello im here for my nails and I have a rash between my toes. Rx antifungal and debride nails that 99213 plus 11721.

Billing 99213 when you are provided follow up care for nails only is not legal billing and would not pass an audit.

Reactions: 6 users
Per my biller - “comprehensive DM foot exam” warrants 99213. I went thru this with her in good detail and she states it’s legit 🤷🏻‍♂️
...once every 6 months per medicare laws (unless something new pops up, ulcer, etc).

Be careful with billers. They don't necessarily read all the documents before giving you "legit advice"

Reactions: 4 users
When I ask my partner he says no big deal it’s justified with “pain”

Hence 99213 for a nail debridement q 2 months until the end of time.

But it sounds like this is incorrect

Some of the patients has no class findings
I suggest you read and understand this document in detail. If you are playing with medicare you have to know their rules.

Reactions: 1 user

Do they all actually come in and say I have pain (my experience with patients is no)?

How do you know in exactly 2 months time they will have pain again?

Does the pain limit ambulation?

Why did you bill a 99213 when you actually performed service for a 11721.

Auditors will be asking these questions.

You will probably get away with it/never be audited. But it would keep me up at night myself.

There have been "fierce" arguments in the past on this forum over this issue. Some DPMs read medicare laws exactly as written. Others bill ways to get things covered. Personally, I follow how they are written.

Initial visit: Office E&M plus nail debridement. 11720 unless they actually have all dystrophic nails in which case 11721.

Follow ups: 11720 or 11721. Any new complaint gets a return E&M and nail code.

That's what I do anyway

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks dyk343. been thru this doc several times that’s where the confusion comes in.

The doc is clear. But it seems like
Do they all actually come in and say I have pain (my experience with patients is no)?

How do you know in exactly 2 months time they will have pain again?

Does the pain limit ambulation?

Why did you bill a 99213 when you actually performed service for a 11721.

Auditors will be asking these questions.

You will probably get away with it/never be audited. But it would keep me up at night myself.

There have been "fierce" arguments in the past on this forum over this issue. Some DPMs read medicare laws exactly as written. Others bill ways to get things covered. Personally, I follow how they are written.
Doubt they all have “pain” and “can’t walk”, but it’s still noted as such.

99213 vs 11721 : believe EM reimburses higher. Might be wrong

Pain in exactly 2 months: per Medicare service is covered 6x a year. But that is probably referí g to patients with the class findings as such.

Ah such a crazy world to navigate tbh

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dyk343. been thru this doc several times that’s where the confusion comes in.

The doc is clear. But it seems like

Doubt they all have “pain” and “can’t walk”, but it’s still noted as such.

Pain in exactly 2 months: per Medicare service is covered 6x a year. But that is probably referí g to patients with the class findings as such.

Ah such a crazy world to navigate tbh
It is crazy and different DPMs will see things differently.
How you see it is up to you.
Just be careful.
Google "podiatry nail care fraud" and you will see those who read the laws in a bendable fashion.

Worst is when someone comes to me with no legal way for me to bill and they get upset because another DPM used to provide the care. Thats a crappy situation to be put in.

Last edited:

Fraud. Period.

Reactions: 2 users
Worst is when someone comes to me with no legal way for me to bill and they get upset because another DPM used to provide the care. Thats a crappy situation to be put in.
Better than jail

It does which is why you have been told to bill the E/M code. But, as others have already pointed out, y’all are committing fraud.

Let me know where you practice so I can collect the whistleblower recovery fee.

I follow Medicare class findings including appropriate Q modifiers. Period. And make sure patients have been seen by PCP in the past 6 months for active management of DM, PVD, whatever. Patients will cry because some other TFP in town cuts their nails every 3 months on the dot and throw tantrums because you/I won’t. I tell them I’m not going to commit fraud and they can blame Medicare for setting the rules.

Reactions: 3 users
Initial visit: Office E&M plus nail debridement. 11720 unless they actually have all dystrophic nails in which case 11721.

Follow ups: 11720 or 11721. Any new complaint gets a return E&M and nail code.

That's what I do anyway
I have never gotten any reimbursement for 11720. (Edit 11719) Its charity care at that point.

"But my PCP says since I'm diabetic only you can cut my nails"

Edit I had my codes wrong.

Last edited:
It does which is why you have been told to bill the E/M code. But, as others have already pointed out, y’all are committing fraud.

Let me know where you practice so I can collect the whistleblower recovery fee.
15-25% of what the government recovers.

Thats serious cash.

• Haha
This is hilarious....

Ask a surgery question, residency match concern, job question, etc and get a few replies. Ask a nails Q and you will have a multi-page thread in less than a half day!

...just like and ACFAS coding once they open it to Q&A :)

Already covered, but you can bill covered debride 117xx and 1105x callus codes for MCR/MCA and carrier payers that follow those rules. You can bill cash for those services for other insurance and ppl who don't qualify at-risk. You can absolutely do appropriate E&Ms if you are managing other stuff. The whole idea of either E&M or proc code but not both is asinine unless you want to work until you're 80... there are many instances every day where RFC 11xx codes (or many, many other codes) and E&Ms are perfectly appropriate together.

Last edited:
This is hilarious....

Ask a surgery question, residency match concern, job question, etc and get a few replies. Ask a nails Q and you will have a multi-page thread in less than a half day!

...just like and ACFAS coding once they open it to Q&A :)

Already covered, but you can bill covered debride 117xx and 1105x callus codes for MCR/MCA and carrier payers that follow those rules. You can bill cash for those services for other insurance and ppl who don't qualify at-risk. You can absolutely do appropriate E&Ms if you are managing other stuff. The whole idea of either E&M or proc code but not both is asinine unless you want to work until you're 80... there are many instances every day where RFC 11xx codes (or many, many other codes) and E&Ms are perfectly appropriate together.
To be fair lapidus unbundling thread got a lot of attention

To be fair lapidus unbundling thread got a lot of attention
Everybody loves a scandal.

Business Working GIF

I'm covering to much ground here and trying to hit some things we discussed in other threads recently.

#1 - The majority of nail/callus patients should be seen at 3 months. The only people I see more regularly than that are people who had an ulcer that healed and recurs before they reach 3 months. If you want to see people more regularly than that and you have ever questioned your existence or thought - man, my life sucks, why do people only refer to me for nails? Guess what. You created an additional encounter or two a year in which you agreed to cut someone's toenails. If you are busy enough to fill those spots - fill them with something else. Stimulate yourself.

#2 - That said - I'm in PP and I know exactly what nails and calluses are worth. For all of the ego stroking and the high-paid-hospital people, a 11056+11720 pays better than most commercial insurance in my area. A decent-BCBS 99213 pays like $76. A Medicare nail/callus (earlier) pays over $110 and sometimes you don't even have to talk to the patient. If they complain you tell them treatment will make them feel better. I derive zero joy from it, but with the direction reimbursement is going from many insurance plans I sometimes see a block of diabetics on the schedule and think - let's pound this out. Beats a $50 99213 from a trash commercial insurance.

#3 - Nails by themselves are essentially worthless. Unti lthe audit comes it assuredly a wonderful thing to be paid $90 for these visits rather than $30. Theoretically you can bill 11720 + G0127 if they have a few fungal nails + some dystrophic nails. Something tells me this door will be closed in the future as it pays higher than 11721 and the nursing home people are hammering it. Treating a bunch of people just for nails ie. nail pain is the path to having to see 40+ people to survive.

#4 - Everybody's reimbursement is different. In a recent thread another podiatrist said their BCBS 11750 spread is $180 to 280 (something like that). My spread is $150 to $240. Were I to drop the 1 marketplace plan I cover my matrixectomy spread would be $220-$240. Where I'm going with this is everyone will have different financial motivations/incentives based on their contracts.

#5 - I think we need to stop using terms like "red flags" for legitimate behavior. I am in general for the vast majority of instances paid appropriately when my procedure and E&M(25) are appropriately performed, documented, etc. We should bill for what we do, but some people will have to recalibrate what is reasonable. Everyone is going to have to have a plan for what you do when a patient wants a nail or callus dealt with during an exam for something else. The Medicare/commercial insurance software is going to flag encounters if every single visit is a E&M+procedure ie. injection or whatever. Private insurance will ask for notes. If every plantar fasciitis injection follow-up visit gets an E&M because you reminded them to stretch - that's going to be a problem at some point.If you have a complicated patient you may have to find a way to "control the encounter". I had a bizarre 2nd opinion, already had surgery elsewhere, has an MRI, nerve study, known disk impingement, diabetic, has plantar fasciitis, sinus tarsi syndrome, PTTD, tarsal tunnel patient. I remember thinking - I'd kill for one of these visits to just be an injection both for my sanity, my desire to stop documenting, and my concern about how insurance will perceive it. She shows up intermittently requesting injections, unable to walk, wanting more care. We're changing meds, we're trying new offloading, boots, imaging - whatever. BCBS denies the E&M on one of the visits, but the visit was documented out the wazoo and I got paid afterwards. Its not a perfect system. There are unfair payor practices. Strong documentation is your friend. If you want to be paid for every word you say,every single thing you do - set strong guidelines and be prepared to make people pay cash.

#6 - Whenever I hear someone write as part of a complaint - "I Performed a Comprehensive Examination" etc - I always know I'm on the way to hearing a story about an encounter that will not be paid. There was a recent one on PM News. You did a plantar fascial injection and then the patient complained about a callus so you performed a comprehensive examination and determined you needed to trim the callus. Horror of horrors your 99213 was denied. Bad news, the callus probably isn't covered, using callus as a diagnosis code is always on the path to a denial, your comprehensive examination took 3 seconds, and you skipped the "management" side of the E&M. Also, best case it was a 99212. I don't want to hear patients gripe and complain about extra stupid stuff either but you're not going to get paid for everything and again people need to be conditioned to pay cash for calluses and nails. And can't say it enough - Management.

#7 - Back on track. Use class findings. Treat people with systemic conditions. Get their diabetic doctor. Understand the Q codes. The rules on this are unfortunately tigher than most people realize. Like if they only have findings on one foot theoretically the other foot isn't covered. There's all sorts of rules about if the callus is located on the tip of the toe and you are already charging for debridement of the same nail. Medicare Advantage plans will routinely refuse to pay the 1172x with calluses and claim the services are bundled. Interestingly, they do this every other visit demonstrating their own fraud. Just fired Humana btw. Goodbye!

#8 - My experience with commercial insurance, diabetics with class findings, and nail/callus codes is that private insurance has no idea what to do with it. These cases just get trapped in billing hell with them paying and then not paying etc. I'm open to being wrong but I would only use the 1172x/1105x codes with Medicare. I don't like this situation, but I don't have an answer at the moment.

#9 - I tell commercial insurance with no systemic diagnosis / class findings to pay cash. I charge $70 for nails calluses etc. Its increasing to $75 this year. If you look it up most commercial insurances have a document clearly derived from Medicare describing nails and calluses as routine care and uncovered.

#10 - I have zero interest in using the "nail debridement" + pain codes. You can only use 1172X. If you read the LCD they believe using 11721 for this is very questionable. You can only bill for "painful nails". So even if you cut all the nails only the painful nails are billable. To me this seems like a billing trap waiting to happen. Read the LCD and they want you to explain why every nail needed treatment and what was wrong with it.

My experience with these patients in residency was that they were VA type guys with a big thick nail who showed up at the first visit and were in pain, wanted their nails to be crumbled, and then came back for the rest of forever not in pain. I tell these patients at their first visit that all future nails and calluses will be uncovered.

There is no pathway for calluses to be treated except through a systemic diagnosis.

#11 - To me a 99213+ at a diabetic/PVD nail/callus follow-up visit needs to have a new problem/worsening/something different. Worsening claudication, worsening neuropathy desiring medication, worsening arthritis, new onset wound/cellulitis etc. In general, I aim to have 1 good appointment a year where I reiterate the patient's complications ie. you are diabetic, you have deformity, you need diabetic shoes, etc I talk this out while doing the cutting. That said - this visit doesn't have high level decision making - its basically counselling. If nothing is changing or worsening then I commit the SDN horror of only doing 99212 for this.

#12 - Last final bringing it back together. Document. I've been looking back through time on some claims that got denied. I had fallen behind on notes. I really had truly provided some sort of 25 modifier service ie. procedure + E&M during the visit. I said screw it and wrote a quicky line for my E&M rather than discussing the thought process that went into it ie. patient complications, medication interaction, systemic condition. That was the note they read and that was the note where they said documentation doesn't support E&M. And it didn't - I had cut the note short and thought - eh, its good enough.

LOL...wow...

You are not permitted to bill an E/M every time you see a patient for nail care. If you do, and get audited, you will get killed.

An E/M visit requires a separate and identifiable diagnosis and treatment, except the once a year Medicare allows for a complete history and physical on at risk nail care patients.

You should be billing the service you provide.

11720, 11721 or 11719 for nail care, unless the nail is dystrophic only and that bills a G Code.

I have yet to have someone explain what separate and identifiable diagnose code they are using when performing simple nail care to justify an E/M visit.

I have never gotten any reimbursement for 11720. (Edit 11719) Its charity care at that point.

"But my PCP says since I'm diabetic only you can cut my nails"

Edit I had my codes wrong.
When I bill 11719 with 11720 (Hallux nails are mycotic and other nails are normal) I get paid every time for trimming the non-mycotic nails. It's only $10, though. I don't think I've ever just billed 11719. That's a non-covered service alone in every instance.

I don't think I've ever just billed 11719. That's a non-covered service alone in every instance.
playing devils advocate: if they have a diagnosis + class findings, arent they entitled to that service as covered? it's you that has to suck it up and waste an appointment slot on $20 or commit fraud and bill and e/m

...An E/M visit requires a separate and identifiable diagnosis and treatment, except the once a year Medicare allows for a complete history and physical on at risk nail care patients...

...I have yet to have someone explain what separate and identifiable diagnose code they are using when performing simple nail care to justify an E/M visit.
There are a million diagnosis codes. A lot depends on how you look at it, whether you have MA/resident do all of the encounter, and whether you spend a bit of time with the pts and with your documentation or not.

If your nails pt comes in and also complains of hammertoe and you give a pad, that's E&M. If you write a pain crm for neuropathy, E&M. If they have tinea and you Rx a cream, E&M. If you Rx diabetic shoes and eval risk factors to determine custom vs prefab insoles, E&M. If they describe arch pain and are given arch supports or stretch advice, E&M. If they don't like ciclopirox and you explain a change to ketoconazole crm and explain how PO treatment works for toenail onycho, E&M. The list is as endless as the ICD book is.

There does not necessarily have to be any diagnosis and treatment whatsoever. It can simply be a dx and Rx or recommendation documented. If you take XRay of the 1MPJ pain and discuss but they defer on inject or NSAID, still E&M. If you comment on a suspected verruca or heel fissure or exostosis or whatever on exam and they decline treatment, E&M. If they have rubor and you give a handout and advise Vasc testing, E&M whether they follow up or not. If they ask about bunions and you advised XRay or spacer, both of which they decline, E&M. If they have a 6+mm nevus and you advise biopsy and they decline, E&M. Again, an essentially endless list.

Unless we are blindly walking in and not even doing any exam or conversation, there should usually be legit E&M with the 117xx more times than not (no E&M when the pt has zero new complaints, zero existing issues to check progress of, zero injuries, zero inquiries or needs, exact same PE as last time). It all depends on the patient population, but we see what we know.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I would say at least 50% of the time I am billing an E&M with a 11721 because I am treating them for or discussing other life threatening illnesses such as xerosis, tinea pedis, interdigital maceration, etc. I only treat one condition at a time due to concerns for interactions between different treatment modalities. For example, has anyone ever studied if there might be a fatal interaction between lamb's wool and ketoconazole? Exactly.

There are a million diagnosis codes. A lot depends on how you look at it, whether you have MA/resident do all of the encounter, and whether you spend a bit of time with the pts and with your documentation or not.

If your nails pt comes in and also complains of hammertoe and you give a pad, that's E&M. If you write a pain crm for neuropathy, E&M. If they have tinea and you Rx a cream, E&M. If you Rx diabetic shoes and eval risk factors to determine custom vs prefab insoles, E&M. If they describe arch pain and are given arch supports or stretch advice, E&M. If they don't like ciclopirox and you explain a change to ketoconazole crm and explain how PO treatment works for toenail onycho, E&M. The list is as endless as the ICD book is.

There does not necessarily have to be any diagnosis and treatment whatsoever. It can simply be a dx and Rx or recommendation documented. If you take XRay of the 1MPJ pain and discuss but they defer on inject or NSAID, still E&M. If you comment on a suspected verruca or heel fissure or exostosis or whatever on exam and they decline treatment, E&M. If they have rubor and you give a handout and advise Vasc testing, E&M whether they follow up or not. If they ask about bunions and you advised XRay or spacer, both of which they decline, E&M. If they have a 6+mm nevus and you advise biopsy and they decline, E&M. Again, an essentially endless list.

Unless we are blindly walking in and not even doing any exam or conversation, there should usually be legit E&M with the 117xx more times than not (no E&M when the pt has zero new complaints, zero existing issues to check progress of, zero injuries, zero inquiries or needs, exact same PE as last time). It all depends on the patient population, but we see what we know.

As I said, if you have a completely separate and identifiable diagnosis and treatment, it justifies an E/M code. Which is exactly what you're describing. And again, if all you are doing is cutting nails, and nothing else, no E/M code is justified.

Not sure why you felt the need to expand...

playing devils advocate: if they have a diagnosis + class findings, arent they entitled to that service as covered? it's you that has to suck it up and waste an appointment slot on $20 or commit fraud and bill and e/m

What nail diagnosis code would go with 11719? As far as what they are entitled to, I don't decide that. Their insurance does.

So what exactly are you billing? If they have PVD, and you diagnose I73.9, what justifies you cutting perfectly healthy nails with no other issues?

If they don't like ciclopirox and you explain a change to ketoconazole crm and explain how PO treatment works for toenail onycho, E&M.
Actually no, it doesn't. If you get audited you will lose that fight. The DIAGNOSIS and TREATMENT have to be separate and identifiable. Not sure why this is such a problem for some people.

What nail diagnosis code would go with 11719? As far as what they are entitled to, I don't decide that. Their insurance does.

So what exactly are you billing? If they have PVD, and you diagnose I73.9, what justifies you cutting perfectly healthy nails with no other issues?
ICD10: L60.9 (the non specific code for nail issue is all you need) + Supporting diagnosis i70.203 or whatever you want to put in. The nails are elongated and irregular in shape which you put in your objective examination and need trimming which is what 11719 is for.

ICD10: L60.9 (the non specific code for nail issue is all you need) + Supporting diagnosis i70.203 or whatever you want to put in. The nails are elongated and irregular in shape which you put in your objective examination and need trimming which is what 11719 is for.

I have never gotten paid for 11719 with L60.9. Even with a pain or PVD diagnosis. Are you getting paid for this every 62 days? To me, that's an initial E/M, and then a non covered service if patient wants it done regularly.

Last edited:
My main problem is there is this myth where i practice (...and im sure everywhere) that if you are diabetic (regardless of any risk factors) you must have your nails only cut by a podiatrist. I get a nauseating amount of non qualifying referrals I send them back and they STILL send me more. Most of the time its a PA that does it but plenty of MDs too.

So I get a lot of nail trims (not debridements) sent my way. Its frustrating.

I think it’s sad that there are all these answers and opinions about cutting toenails.

Can’t we get back to all the fraudulent unbundling of surgical procedures?

The local pedicure shop does whatever they want and bills whatever they want. And that’s even sadder.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I have never gotten paid for 11719 with L60.9. Even with a pain or PVD diagnosis. Are you getting paid for this every 62 days? To me, that's an initial E/M, and then a non covered service if patient wants it done regularly.
That is really surprising. I think its a -59 issue then; you must have the -19 and -20 affixed with a 59 for some reason for it to go through.

So it should look like this

11720 59 Q9 B35.1 I70.203
11719 59 Q9 L60.9 I70.203

That is really surprising. I think its a -59 issue then; you must have the -19 and -20 affixed with a 59 for some reason for it to go through.

So it should look like this

11720 59 Q9 B35.1 I70.203
11719 59 Q9 L60.9 I70.203

Oh boy...Q9...

You don't have to add the L60.9 when you are billing WITH PVD and Onychomycosis. I implore you to read what I write a bit more carefully. What "nail deformity" are you documenting? If you are documenting nail dystrophy, then you should ne coding a G Code to cut those nails. So what deformity is there exactly? Why are you adding a -59 modifier to the 11720 code? Or at all in this situation or that matter? If they are showing up for nail care, you don't a -59 modifier at all.

If ALL YOU ARE BILLING is I73.9 and L60.9 and expecting to be paid for 11719, you will not. Folks, we are all educated here. Please read what others write.

Oh boy...Q9...

You don't have to add the L60.9 when you are billing WITH PVD and Onychomycosis. I implore you to read what I write a bit more carefully. What "nail deformity" are you documenting? If you are documenting nail dystrophy, then you should ne coding a G Code to cut those nails. So what deformity is there exactly?

If ALL YOU ARE BILLING is I73.9 and L60.9 and expecting to be paid for 11719, you will not. Folks, we are all educated here. Please read what others write.
fiesty today

fiesty today
Having one of those days. Just not willing to deal with stupid today. This topic is beaten to death. It's not that complicated and trying to conceive of every way to make an extra $10 isn't worth the potential liability of it. Nor is fabricating excuses to bill E/M codes. This is that last thing we should be talking about. It hasn't changed in decades.

Last edited:
Having one of those days. Just not willing to deal with stupid today. This topic is beaten with a dead horse. It's not that complicated and trying to conceive of every way to make an extra $1`0 isn't worth the potential liability of it. Nor is fabricating excuses to bill E/M codes. This is that last thing we should be talking about. It hasn't changed in decades.

Nails. Nails never changes.

Nails. Nails never changes.
They really don't. The rules haven't changed since I was in school 25 years ago. It's stupid how much energy people put into this.

You have three CPT codes to deal with. And just a very small variety of ICD-10 codes to deal with to get these service covered. If all you are doing is cutting nails in a visit, you can't bill an E/M code. Except once a year. That's all there is to it. Period.

They really don't. The rules haven't changed since I was in school 25 years ago. It's stupid how much energy people put into this.

You have three CPT codes to deal with. And just a very small variety of ICD-10 codes to deal with to get these service covered. If all you are doing is cutting nails in a visit, you can't bill an E/M code. Except once a year. That's all there is to it. Period.
Haha. I used to tell people that the rules must have gotten more strict since they saw Dr. X. I stopped doing that because yeah, I didn't think anything had changed, but also because they'd go off on a rant about Medicare and for all of its flaws I still find Medicare superior to most commercial insurance.

fiesty today
HA!

Oh boy...Q9...
Not sure what is wrong with Q9. It explains what to do with someone who has pulses and painful neuropathy. They have all the trophic skin/nail changes for the class B and two items in class C (burning + paresthesias).
You don't have to add the L60.9 when you are billing WITH PVD and Onychomycosis. I implore you to read what I write a bit more carefully
ROFL I should say the same. Because if you read that again L60.9 isnt onychomycosis. You might want to read what YOU wrote a bit more carefully.
What "nail deformity" are you documenting? If you are documenting nail dystrophy, then you should ne coding a G Code to cut those nails. So what deformity is there exactly? Why are you adding a -59 modifier to the 11720 code? Or at all in this situation or that matter? If they are showing up for nail care, you don't a -59 modifier at all.

Medicare carrier for us requires a nail code + systemic code for each routine foot care item on the CMS1500. If you list a -19 and a -20/G0127, then each needs a -59 or claim gets denied. For commercial insurances they could care less, no 59 or last PCP hogwash. Hell just billing the condition as you mentioned gets the claim paid.

You asked what deformity to use L60.X; its unspecified so trimming of a non-dystrophic nail so if the nail is yellow or elongated or incurvated pick your poison (Just not L60.3... thats nail dystrophy)
Folks, we are all educated here. Please read what others write.
Seems like others need a bit more: https://www.apma.org/files/TVCS2020CPTCodingDF.pdf
Here is a powerpoint to help ya along!

We can chat when you're out of probation jail

If they have PVD, and you diagnose I73.9, what justifies you cutting perfectly healthy nails with no other issues?

My MACs LCD on routine foot care does.

11719 is a covered CPT code when they meet criteria for routine foot care. They only need a systemic diagnosis as the definition of 11719 is that the nails are non-dystrophic and you are trimming them, meaning reducing their length. Further, Any neuropathic systemic condition does not require a Q modifier in my region, that is only for vascular disease. I’ve been paid for 11719 in 3 states now, all 3 with different MACs, though at least one of them still required Q modifiers on every patient, not just vascular disease.

Article - Billing and Coding: Routine Foot Care (A57957)

I think you need a nice pour of a fine single malt scotch. That will take care of your stressful day and make you forget about those friggin’ nails.

And by the way, you didn’t happen to look in the car mirror on the way home and realize you had a fly away nail clipping stuck in your hair, did you?

Oh my, I think we may need a facility referral for the treatment and recovery of a severe burn. Burn center - Wikipedia

Back when I was an Associate I would sometimes see my boss' patients when he was out of the office. The above scenario was especially awkward since the patient was seeing me for one visit only then would return to the other guy the following visit. Oh what a mess.