Nailpolish in non-surgical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is nailpolish acceptable in non-surgical rotations? That is, not Surgery or Ob/GYN. Of course with the premise that it won't be chipped, nails won't be very long, and the color choice is mild (not super bright or dark).

I've always gone with the most conservative choice when it comes to these things, but I noticed all the peds residents in my team wearing them (some of them bright red, others super glittery!) so I started wondering if this is okay.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nail polish is completely banned where I work for anyone that deals with patients. It's a hospital by hospital thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nail polish is completely banned where I work for anyone that deals with patients. It's a hospital by hospital thing.
I concur, we had nail inspections by the nurse managers on the floor to make sure we did not have polish on. Polish traps bacteria and fungus that you can spread to the patients.

Please don't wear nail polish. Wash your hands and keep your nails clean. Why have a lesser standard of hygiene and infection precaution when on non-surgical subspecialties?

I concur, we had nail inspections by the nurse managers on the floor to make sure we did not have polish on. Polish traps bacteria and fungus that you can spread to the patients.

Actually, clean nails with un-chipped nail polish don't pose additional infection risk. I and many other female surgeons get manicures every week! (Rocking cobalt blue tonight). Obviously as a student you need to follow the rules of the hospital you are at and the other doctors on your team, however.

(Artificial nails, on the other hand, can indeed pose an additional infection risk and are prohibited in most clinical settings)

I'll follow the rules on rotations, of course, but I have to admit I'm kind of dreading going polish free. Without that protection my nails seem a lot more prone to splitting and so on, which'd also provide places for grime to gather.

Actually, clean nails with un-chipped nail polish don't pose additional infection risk. I and many other female surgeons get manicures every week! (Rocking cobalt blue tonight). Obviously as a student you need to follow the rules of the hospital you are at and the other doctors on your team, however.

(Artificial nails, on the other hand, can indeed pose an additional infection risk and are prohibited in most clinical settings)
I was actually thinking along the lines of the acrylics. Big no no on the medical floors.