Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Name one/some of life's little tortures

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Turkeyman, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I'll start off pre-med related, but take it aywhere you wish :D:

-Final exams =[
    -Cold toilet seats
    -Car interior being 1,000,000,000 degrees celcius in Summer

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    The possible prospect of living with my in-laws next semester

4. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    - Having to work with someone less intelligent, but just as confident, in a peer-to-peer situation. I hate the feeling of having to convince someone of something you already know to be right, while you're eager to move on.

5. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    -Every time I have to interact with slow or stupid sales people/clerks, or stupid students I die a little inside.
    -When my time is wasted due to someone not following instructions.
    -Watching fat people get french fries, a big soda, a chick-fil-a sandwich, and a dessert for lunch at the school cafeteria
    -The laughter of rich women in public places
    -The way that dryer machines make one sock per wash vanish out of any given pair that you are drying.

6. angietron3000

angietron3000 *black magic soul power*
    10+ Year Member

- kelly clarkson

7. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member
    10+ Year Member

bahaha, where to start :(

8. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Abu Ghraib

9. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How irreverent! And entertaining....

10. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your hell is my reality. Doing it as we speak (please kill me :scared: )

11. BMW M3

BMW M3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

unkempt private parts ....

12. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    -American Idol is one of my most exquisite personal tortures....I keep hoping it will never come back, but it always does.

13. Its_MurDAH

Its_MurDAH The DaVinci Savant
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you think that the car interior being hot is bad...

maybe you should try driving in chicago right about now...it takes 10 minutes just to scrape off the layer of ice from the windshield and the windows, another 15 minutes to warm up the car.

its so f*cking cold that i can't even think straight

i hate winter :thumbdown:

14. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    It rained tonight and I think the roads are now frozen. If the inclement weather persists till the morning, our final exams will have to be rescheduled.

15. pschmom1

pschmom1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Nothing compares to the in-law thing :eek: , my heart goes out to you both :laugh: , and Lord help me that I never have to even think about such torture :smuggrin:

I really am serious, but since you are only reading my post, I't may have sounded sarcastic, but I'm really serious!

16. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is nothing worse than when someone else wastes a bunch of your time for nothing....grrr that pisses me off

17. Gavanshir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The guy talking loud in the library, I'll kill you.

18. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you are in a hurry, and only need one thing from the grocery store/department store/whatever. Its Holiday Shopping time, and the checkout lines are a mile long. You patiently wait your turn, and happily see that the person in front of you (inevitably an old woman) has only one or two things to buy. Or perhaps its 10,000 cans of cat food, it does differ sometimes. Anyways, she proceeds to pay with nickels. And then has too few. And then hears incorrectly the total. And then finds some more pennies in the bottom of her shoe. And then you offer to help to speed things along, but she mishears you and yells at you to be patient. And then the store manager, seeing her frustration, blames you for being inconsiderate. When you finally get outside, there’s a fresh parking ticket on your car. And the old lady is getting into her car next to you, but takes the time to beat you with her cane first.

OK, so maybe I consolidated several stories, and made up others, but shopping pisses me off.

19. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

I hate the following things:
    - hollywood movies (Almost every movie is either boring, predictable, or has a stupid storyline.)
    - many TV sitcoms (Too many to list, but shows like Friends, King of Queens, American Dad. I think you get the picture.)
    - ******ed drivers who slam the breaks to match the speed limit when it changes (ie. 50 to 30 mph).
    - People who think the saftey buffer between you and the car ahead is open for someone to cut in front of you.
    - People who race past you and cut in front to get onto an exit instead of simply slowing down and getting behind you.
    - Like others, keeping up the slow people gets on my nerves as well.
    - The Bush Administration, all the Neo-Cons, talking heads - Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Robert Novak, Tucker Carlson, etc. (I'm not a huge democrat either, both parties are screwed up. The GOP is royally messed up though.)
    - Ignorant people who don't know that their rights are being stolen from them in the name of terror. Read: Patriot Act I and II, Victory Act (If people knew the whole truth about Al Qaeda and the war on terror, they would see it is just a huge machine to drum up public fear. It is all an illusion, I can back it up.)
    - Pre-med sharks that are all up in your grill about what is going on with you and bragging about what they have done. And the ones that would pimp out their sister for an A or any small advantage.

I have many more pet peeves and beefs but I can't think of them all. I will update later.

20. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

nausea.
    -mota

21. DarkFark

DarkFark Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    People who drive slowly in the left lane.

Edit: Oh, and people who drive and talk on their cell phones! you can spot them a mile away...

22. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1) If you listen to talk radio:
    When you can hear the saliva "smacking" in people's mouths when they talk. Erg this drives me crazy, sometimes it is so subtle and so, so annoying.

2) TA's that don't speak English, and hardly speak EnGrish.

3) Bio tests with essay format, graded for specific vocab words.

4) Popped collars, Uggs, Louis Vuittan backpacks and basically the Greek system in general.

23. Its_MurDAH

Its_MurDAH The DaVinci Savant
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hate commercials :thumbdown:

I have stopped watching TV because of them.

Thank god for hdtv rips of my favorite tv shows that i can watch on my 100-inch projector screen with NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS!

24. tank you

tank you 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

- not having signal when u want to make an impt phone call.
    - having the hot water in the shower turn cold bc someone is using a faucet elsewhere in the house.

25. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

-Country music
    -Pop trash
    -Rap
    -Heartwarming stories
    -Weeds
    -Stale food
    -Stubble
    -Pork
    -Stuffy noses
    -Fake sneezes
    -PEOPLE WHO KEEP SNIFFLING DURING CLASSES AND TESTS WITHOUT CLEARING THEIR NOSE.

26. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't stand watching womens basketball. WNBA? please. I'd rather dig my eyes out with a pair of chopsticks. :eek:

(for tonight) I can't stand people who use the ER as a freakin clinic "I stubbed my toe and it hurts" (only in spanish)
    DUDE, IT'S FREAKIN 3 a.m.! Get a life!:mad:

Oh yea, I hate it when people with nasty-ass feet always wear open-toed shoes/flip flops. Major hammer time. Like they have been kickin' bricks or something. You know the ones with the second toe 2 inches longer then the big toe. ewww! :scared:

Feel better now. :p

27. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Oat-Packing Dadaist
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Being mocked.

28. Turkeyman

5+ Year Member

I can imagine...it's bad enough here in MD but I've been in the Chicago area during two winters some years ago and man... -60....haha yeah, kill me. I was trying to look forward to what I wish was happening now =[.

29. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    What about the waiting game for MCAT scores to be released? Is that tortuous?

30. Em1

Em1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    People leaving cell phone ringers on when it's inappropriate. Especially in the library, where there are a MILLION signs reminding you to turn them off!

31. isobel

isobel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    women who refuse to sit down on the toilet in public bathrooms and therefore end up spraying pee all over the seat. they are the reason the seat is dirty in the first place. they are probably also the same women that do not wash their hands before leaving the bathroom so that they can purell once they are out. they are the reason the door is dirty. btw, purell does not kill some very nasty fecal bactera. soap and water do.

bad drivers of course.

when you hold the door for someone and they walk through without ever taking it from you, like you are the doorman.

slow walkers.

people who even let their cell phones ring in public. in my opinion, they should always be on vibrate.

homophobes and their closed-minded brethren.

intelligent design...... arrgh.

32. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, no more coffee for you. ;)

33. DownonthePharm

DownonthePharm Chillin' n Fillin'
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    - Cheap toliet paper
    - Listening to people chew
    - Walmart
    - Having to drive 20 mph just because it started to drizzle and everyone else on the highway is freakin out. :confused:
    - Having to wait on someone with horrible nausiating body odor.
    - Cheese grater feet with flakey cuticles in strappy sandles (only painting the toenails is NOT a pedicure folks).

34. silverjelly

silverjelly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Where do I start?

-Crazy ass pre-meds who try to figure out your student number so they can find out your grades and ask your firends what score you got on the MCAT. Yes - there are some big-time loonies out there.
    -People who chew food and you can hear every bite. This includes those who eat with their mouths open and those who smack their teeth together so you can hear those molars collide!
    -When you hold the door for people and they don't say thank you.
    -People who deliberately try to cut you off by proving that their car can go 0 to 60 faster than yours (I'm talking km/h).
    -People in my house who take 30 minutes showers and then proceed to spend an extra 15 minutes in the bathroom JUST WHEN I NEED TO USE IT!!!!! :smuggrin:
    -People who brag and somehow twist it too look like they're humble ("Yeah, I got a 99% on that 100-question multiple-choice test on Friday. But I'm so stupid - how did I get that other question wrong?")
    -Girls who insist on wearing the sluttiest things to school. This is university - not the bar! (I guess you can tell I'm not a guy).
    -People who use their cell phones in the library. Totally inconsiderate!

I think that's it for now. :D

35. Em1

Em1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good to see that so many other people are so annoyed by the same little things I am. For some of them I thought it was just me.

36. RunnerMD

RunnerMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

#35 RunnerMD, Dec 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  37. CuddlyKumquat

CuddlyKumquat simply scrumpcious
    5+ Year Member

- People who say the word "like" 10,000 times in a 50 word conversation.
    - that small minute nagging headache that isn't a full blown jackhammer but is enough to make you want to unscrew your head and shake it really hard
    - Last minute requests from my current boss at 4:59pm on a Friday.
    - random acts of violence on the subways (aka hit in the stomach by an umbrella, jostled around by people much bigger than I am, cut off by some eager lady to get to the exit 20nanoseconds before I do) as I am going to work at 7am in the freezing cold

38. Turkeyman

5+ Year Member

-People who tailgate even though they won't get anywhere. Get the F*CK OFF MY BUMPER B*TCHA*S MOTHER**CKER

^--Haha, I was just tailgated on the way home from my last final...it was rush hour traffic and the guy wasn't going anywhere no matter what he did. I countered by slowing down to a crawl where I could have gone faster -- when he finally got the chance to pass me, I made sure to laugh heartily as he peered in my car :D.

...And then I followed him to his house and set him on fire. OK JUST KIDDING ABOUT THIS LAST ONE TEEHEEEE! :smuggrin: :cool: :D :rolleyes: :thumbup: ;)

39. isobel

isobel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    oh, i totally slow down to a crawl when someone tailgates me really closely when we are in a line of traffic. it's gonna get me killed one of these days.... i also have a very bright rear fog light i like to use from time to time to freak people out since most cars don't have them.

funny, i live in MA and when my bf and i go visit my parents in ME and he drives, i have to tell him to back off b/c he is following people at a normal MA distance which is a very aggressive following distance by ME standards.

40. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    *sigh* i love you all for being as impatient and intolerant of everyday crap as me. :love: without further ado, and in no particular order:

-retaining a ****load of water while pms-ing when all you've done for the past 3 days is eat low-sodium foods and drink tons of water
    -people who step on your shoes or brush you with their filthy bags on the train
    -teenagers/ruffians who run and chase each other up and down the train like idiots, smacking into people without saying sorry
    -slurping
    -constipation
    -having to stay at work until the minute of quitting time even when you don't have anything to do
    -crunching
    -neighbors who continue to play loud music at 11pm when you call them every week at the same time asking them to please turn their music down
    -people in front of you who walk slower just because they know you want to pass them
    -homophobes (bears repeating)
    -when the cashier throws your fruit into the bag and bruises it without a second thought...

41. RunnerMD

RunnerMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

#40 RunnerMD, Dec 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  42. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    - Women who talk about PMS in mixed company, like everyone wants to hear about it. I don't talk about the nasty f-ing diarrhea I had the other day, I don't want to hear about your nasty personal problems.
    - Having to jump more hurdles to go to med school than I should. Get permission to apply from military, get accepted, pass military physical (again, despite being in the military), have to wait on physical waiver, have to wait for final acceptance, have to get orders before I can make moving arrangements. What a stupid bureaucracy.

43. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    These are in no order:

1. When a student who has been failing all semester comes up the day before finals and asks if there is any extra credit--dude, you have to HAVE credit to get EXTRA credit.

2. People who yell at you because their MP3's are on too loud and they won't take out their ear plugs.

3. MP3 ear plugs. I most have the most F'ed up ear canal shape because those things never fit my ears.

4. War.

5. Wars based on deception.

6. Wars against countries with militaries equivalent to the Boy Scouts.

7. People who don't clean up their messes.

8. Seeing pictures of the hurricane/tsunami vicitms. I still cry. Truely torturous.

9. When my son is whining/crying and I don't know why.

10. People who feel entitled. What ever happened to please and thank you.

11. When I am doing stand-up and I make a joke and NO ONE laughs. TORTURE!!!

44. isobel

isobel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    my friends and i totally talk about diarrhea/constipation and everything in between. male and female.

45. godawgs39

godawgs39 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's hilarious, I do that all the time and each time I do it, I wonder if it's going to be the guy that's in a hurry because he just snuffed someone and needs to get out of town fast.

Also, along with wanting to kill the obnoxious bastads in the library that talk on their phones, I often wonder if my school the only school where people think that it's okay to have the volume on their iPods so loud that everyone can hear the music....THROUGH THEIR HEADPHONES!??! I mean wtf? How can these people hear anything that's not first sent through a bull horn? I try and give them dirty looks, but that never works, so I guess one of these days I'm just gonna start flicking people in the eyeball.

46. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

That has never happened...ever.... :D

47. karirunner

karirunner Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    -being charged $2 for a can of soda just b/c I'm in an airport
    -war
    -child abuse
    -people who take two carts full of food through the express self check out a Kroger. 15 items or less people!
    -drivers who see how close they can get to hitting you while you are running
    -sinus infections
    -living in a city where streets flood every time it rains

48. Em1

Em1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just go ask them to turn it down. Sure, I get some dirty looks, but they usually oblige and then I'm happy :)

49. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just last month at amature night at Comedy Works. I have been drinking ever since! Sometimes **** just ain't funny. I was trying to talk about juxtaposing characters from the Bad News Bears on the cast of Carmen. But I think it was wrong to assume a few things:
    1. That people had seen the Bad News Bears (old Walter Mathau one)
    2. That people had seen Carmen
    3. That people recognized that the Bad News Bears stole all its music from Carmen's score. So when I first saw Carmen, I immediately thought of BNB and it was funny to me. Me and only me, apparently.

50. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    - bad grammar
    - PeEpZ wHo TyEp lYkE tHiz!!! (not l337 hax0|2z. I'm fine with them.)
    - cramps
    - when vending machines don't give you your change
    - itches
    - bad hair days
    - when you buy a really nice top and then realize it's dry-clean only.
    - when you buy a really nice top that isn't dry clean only but when you wash it normally it either shrinks, stretches beyond recognizion, or fades like crazy
    - bad coffee baristas "I paid $3 for this?! But I asked for a double dry extra hot percent cappucino and you've given me a full-fat 160 degree singe caramel macchiato made from an old shot!" (In other words, any barista not trained in Seattle.)
    - scholastic dishonesty
    - Profs who think their classes are much harder than they are so that when you walk out of their 75-question MC final exam after 20 minutes they say "Are you sure?!" and you can respond with "I did every question three times, and I'm taking this class P/NP. I'm sure."
    - jackhammers at 7 am
    - garbage trucks at 7 am
    - weed whackers at 7 am
    - leaf blowers at 7 am
    - buses at 7 am
    - sirens at 7 am
    - helicopters at 7 am (note: if you go to UCLA, don't live on the South end of Hilgard or you'll never sleep - it's right next to the helipad)
    - stores that only sell shoe sizes above 6 1/2.
    - stores that sell size 0 jeans with a 34" inseam. Who the hell can wear those?!
    - blisters
    - when your utilities randomly get turned off without warning
    - when your entire apartment building runs out of hot water
    - when you're 2 minutes late getting back to the laundry room and someone has already piled your wet clothes on top of the dryer.
    - paper cuts

Wow, I wasn't planning on making my list this long.
    I'm sure I could think of more. . .

51. somewhere2010

somewhere2010 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. i echo complaints of slow walkers!
    2. purse straps that slip off your shoulder...ahhhhh!
    3. touching something fuzzy before your nails dry
    4. wind + rain = sideways rain, no way to stay dry
    5. skinny people who say they're fat in order to hear something to the contrary