Named med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinsanity

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if going to a named med school would have a better impact on the future career of a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

As opposed to the unnamed med schools?

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

I think if you do well at a named med school it may be easier to get the specialty you want and the residency you seek, but if you do well at a second tier med school you'll still be able to....I think it's like saying will a named undergrad get me into a better med school? Sometimes.

I plan to go to the best med school I can get in to, but "best" has a lot of definitions and depends on the applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my Doctor told me that if you really want to be a doctor, you can become one anywhere. I think it's quite true. But getting into the residency of your choice, now, that is a different story. Those are years of your life that you just don't want to spend somewhere you don't want to be. So in that case, going to a big name school does make a difference.

But in the end, once all the bureaucractic baloney is dealt with and you are working in the real world, it's all up to you and not to where you went to school. If you were a lawyer, you'd have more of a likelihood to get a crappy job unless you went to a big name school. But a doctor? Nah.

Mr. :mad:

but when you do become a private practice doctor, you'll hang your diploma in your office. and patients prefer it be harvard or yale...

it's especially true for optometrists and cardiologists since there are so many of them here in ny!