Names of doctors shadowed for AMCAS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by frickonastick, May 16, 2007.

1. frickonastick

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For the activities section of the AMCAS, should I include the names of doctors I've shadowed, or just descriptions and number of hours? I feel odd giving the names, especially since most of the people I've shadowed work at one of the schools I'm applying to.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    I'll leave this for more "authoritative" members to respond to officially, but my gut instinct would be to include at least one name. Gives your work credibility and a way for medical schools to verify your claims (if they so chose). Especially if you make any big statements "...I held a heart in my hands," or "...watching him try not to cry as he told the patient's wife he had died cemented my decision to pursue medicine," etc.

-z

4. tredici

tredici Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd at least include the name(s) if you got LOR(s) from one/some of them.

5. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Let me add a follow-up question here: how do you guys handle mentioning a very short shadowing experience? (i.e. observing just one surgery under a particular physician). My inclination is to just do one big shadow/volunteer section so that it doesn't look like you're over-exaggerating the shorter experiences.

6. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    That sounds like a reasonable plan. If your Work/Activities section is sufficiently stocked, you could even live without mentioning "mentoring".

-z