1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Names of well-known DOs?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by lumbrical, Apr 5, 2000.

1. lumbrical

lumbrical Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys:

I applied for a private loan program that I'm eligible for (due to where I grew up) that provides low-interest loans to students of medicine, theology, and nursing. It requires a LARGE amount of documentation and legwork to get approved. So, I went through the 14 inches of paperwork, got all the letters of rec/credit, everything was okay, fully approved and on-line. When I gave them the school name (osteopathic), I was told suddenly "oh, we're sorry, we don't loan money to osteopathic schools, or chiropractic, or dental, only MD or RN..." You get the drift.

So, I think a little education is in order to persuade them the evil of their ways. I thought a little PR never hurts, so I was trying to list all the well-known, highly placed DOs I could think of; I couldn't remember NAMES, though, just titles. HELP!

Surgeon Gen of Army
    Surg Gen of Coast guard
    Steve? Salvatore, CNN? med correspondent
    R. Mackenzie, pres of Amer Soc of Anesthesiologists

Now there must be more contemporary DOs that I can name drop as part of my efforts to prove that I'm eligible for these monies...

Any assistance is mucho appreciated!

[This message has been edited by lumbrical (edited 04-05-2000).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. reed99

reed99 Member
    10+ Year Member

Surgeon General of the Army is Ronald Blanck, DO and he assumes the presidency of TCOM in August. Good luck with your campaign. That kind of ignorance is simply ridiculous!

4. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Murray Goldstein, DO, MPH is a big shot at NIH (I think that he's doing cerebral palsy research...I'm not sure). Also, call the AOA, they can probably help you out...

5. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good luck on your search. Please share your information when you are done.

I definately understand what you are saying. I qualified for a scholarship from where I am from also. Luckily they do give money to DOs but DO's only get about half the amount of money that MDs get for the exact same service agreement (to practice primary care medicine in a medically underserved area of the state)

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

6. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician
    10+ Year Member

Contact the American Medical Student Association and ask for the legislative section. AMSA represents both MD and DO students. They were pretty helpful few years ago with writing an official objection letter on behalf of 35,000 MD and DO students to the INS for a similar situation. Contact info for AMSA can be foun at www.amsa.org . Also, contact the AOA, I am sure their PR dept will be able to assist you?phone number for AOA is 1-800-621-1773.

7. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I agree with RB, contact the AOA and AMSA.

Please let us know the outcome of this issue!

8. Deb

Deb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In addition to being the new prez of the ASA, Dr. Mackenzie (UHS alum) is
    also the Chair of Anesthesiology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. Also,
    there are some DO's at the Cleveland Clinic (sorry, but I don't know any
    names). You might try calling administration at UHS...I'm sure we have a
    couple of other well known alums but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

9. MSW2DO

MSW2DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Okay, now I'm worried. I am a premed, so far I have been staunchly in favor of going DO. But if we don't have the same opportunities to have our loans repaid by these various programs, I might have to take the MD route.

I'm not exactly wealthy, and it seems like getting an MD would be a much more economically sound decision. Osteopathic schools, being mostly private institutions, tend to cost a lot more than allopathic schools. Furthermore, they tend to have weaker hospital affiliations for clinical rotations. THis results in the student having to travel all over creation to do his/her rotations, which I'm sure isn't cheap. And then to top it all off, the newly graduated DO is treated like a mere chiropractor when applying for these loan repayment programs.

I really like the osteopathic philosophy, and I would certainly prefer pursuing a DO over an MD. I wan't even planning on applying to allopathic programs. Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to get a DO degree. Any feedback?

10. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

The last poster is sadly disillusioned. I don't know how many DO schools are public, but I know that TCOM is public and costs as much as most of the other allopathic schools in Texas. Although most DO schools are private and thereby cost more, who is to say that you will not be accepted at a private allopathic school. Those schools will cost just as much as any private DO school. To my knowledge, there is no problem with repayment loans. I don't know where you get your information, but it's grossly incorrect. Strength of affiliations with hospitals vary with the school. I have asked current students at my school about this exact concern, but they tell me that it is possible to complete your rotations in the same area of the school, but most prefer the change of scenery. Even allopathic schools have elective rotations outside their city limits. I cannot speak for all DO and MD schools, but this is my experience. DOn't be too quick to dismiss osteopathic medicine.

As far as osteopathic luminaries? I think you have most of them by now. IF you ask your school, Im sure they would be glad to provide you information on their "distinguished" alumni. It's a great marketing tools for the schools! Good luck.

11. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DO's qualify for the same state and federal loans that MD's do. Occassionally, there are specific (usually privately funded) loan programs for either MD's or DO's only.

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 04-10-2000).]

12. MSW2DO

MSW2DO Member
    10+ Year Member

"Sadly Disillusioned"? I think that's a tad bit harsh. I am quite aware that there are a number of private allopathic schools out there. However, it seems to me that the vast majority of osteopathic schools are private. In my state (CA), there are two osteopathic schools, and if I'm not mistaken, they are both private. However, there are a number of allopathic state schools, and the tuition would be significantly less.

Please don't perceive my previous comment as being an attack on osteopathic medicine. It was simply an observation regarding what I perceived to be a drawback to getting a DO vs an MD. I could care less about some of the other so-called "disadvantages" to getting a DO (i.e., less brand-name recognition, less "prestiege", blah, blah, blah). However, it does appear that a student could spend significantly less money pursuing an MD at a state school, unless he or she is fortunate enough to live one of the states that have state-supported DO programs. Those people are LUCKY!

It would be really nice if this board could truly function as a forum for a dialogue on the profession of osteopathic medicine. Why is it that whenever someone innocently questions the potential drawsbacks to getting a DO, people respond with defensiveness and anger? It does nothing to bolster the profession's image, and it makes many osteopathic students seem like nothing more than rabid fundamentalist Christians, or even worse, chiropractors.

Let the evisceration commence....

13. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

The problem with message boards is that it is too easy to read into things that people post. IF you actually knew me, you would no that i have never and will never incite the differences between DO vs MD. What "anger" are you talking about exactly? Hopefully you are not responding to me. so relax..because it just seems that you may be a little defensive yourself. if you read my post, you would realize that i fully recognize that most DO schools are private.

as far as your efforts to attend an allopathic school in CA...will you still refuse to go into a private osteopathic school there in CA if you do not get accepted into MD schools? i know that the competition there is VERY difficult!!! on top of that, the admission standard is sometimes very strange. i dont want to discourage you, but my best friend was a CA resident, but did not get accepted anywhere the first year after college. he had a 38 MCAT and 3.5-3.6 GPA at a pretty selective school. thats scary. fortunately, he established residency here in TX where he went to college and got accepted the next year.

Im not "attacking" you, but i only intended to say that getting into a medical school(ANY medical school) was a greater priority for me than the tuition cost. but it would certainly be nice to get several choices and decided based upon sticker price among other factors.

14. MSW2DO

MSW2DO Member
    10+ Year Member

In my original post, I stated that I prefer DO schools over MD schools. So no, obviously I wouldn't turn down an acceptance to an osteopathic program if it was the only school that accepted me. You are sadly disillusioned if you think I would do so. I never even hinted that I would do that. In fact, if you had read MY post, you would know that I prefer osteopathy.

HOWEVER, if I were accepted into both a state MD program and a private DO program (hey, I can dream can't I?), I would probably go with the MD program. Is it really so wrong for me to be concerned with my finances?

If you weren't attacking me, then I apologize. However, "sadly disillusioned" sounds a litle strong. ANd you have to admit, there are a lot of people out there who are extremely insecure about having (or pursuing) a DO. These individuals tend to be MD bashers who do not react well to a discussion of osteopathy's weaknesses.

Sorry if I mistook you for one of them.

15. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

its no big deal. yes, i do realize that many people get worked up about osteopathic medicine. its pretty crazy sometimes.

for the original post...i was looking at my father's plaque, his board certification for family practice(fyi, he is an MD, and noticed that either the chair or vice chair is an osteopathic physician. unfortunately, i dont remember his name.