deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whether your last name is included depends on how easy it is to say. I would also lean towards the shorter rather than longer. I don't know if I like institute. It just sounds so... institutional. Ultimately, the name isn't as important as the job you do for people and the reputation you would build.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a strong opinion against "institute." Don't cheapen the word. Besides, it comes off as pompous if it's really only your individual practice.

This is just an observation, but in my city most of the practices with words like "thrive" and "flourish" in their names are owned by counselors or other master's level therapists.

Most of the psychologists I know have used either just their names or something straightforward like "LastName Psychological Services" or "LastName and Associates." The practice name doesn't have to be catchy, merely descriptive. It probably doesn't matter that much in the end because word of mouth will hopefully be your best marketing tool, and most of the time referral sources will use your actual name, not the name you give your practice. If your goal is to create a multidisciplinary practice, "LastName Pediatric Therapy" or something like that could work.

If you use your name, you won’t be able to sell the business very easily when you’re ready to retire.

But the previous poster is right, people will find you by name in the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user
The number of potential names you are considering is a bit overwhelming!
This is all personal preference, but....the nice thing about "X" Psychological Services is that it's all encompassing (psychological services can refer to therapy, assessment, consultation, etc.) without being verbose. If you want to sell it later, you can use a non-name for "X" Psychological Services, such as a geographic feature nearby, neighborhood name, etc. (i.e. Greater Lake Psychological Services).

Good luck!

Naming a private practice is an exciting time. It can be hard to imagine, but also try to think about what is possible for the evolution of your practice 5, 10, even 20 years from now. Will your name encompass your services? I have something related to mental health in the name of my company. This fall a primary care physician will be starting who will be caring for diabetes, asthma, hypertension, etc. at the clinic. My clinic has “outgrown” it’s name.

Tying the name to a geographic area is a great idea as long as you don’t see a satellite office in another far off location: Montana, Hawaii, US Virgin Islands, etc. Who knows where semi retirement can take you while your primary office back home is making passive income.

I decided to not have my last name in the name of the company because I thought 1) I didn’t want to do all the work 2) easier to sell later if I were to sell without my name, and 3) I didn’t want the public to prefer to see me instead of someone else in the practice. Dave Ramsey has moved to Ramsey Solutions I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user