naming names in the PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikachu

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just started battling with writing my personal statement (why is it so hard to write about yourself???) and I have a quick question: is it considered a faux pas to mention a mentor by name in the PS? what if there are a couple people who have helped you out? is it looked on as name-dropping to mention them in the PS? also, it's such a small field, do you run the risk of offending someone you've worked with by NOT mentioning them?

yes, i am a big neurotic who over-thinks things! thanks for any advice...

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't name drop for the sole person of name dropping. The exception I think would be if you worked in someone's lab extensively and you wanted to mention, "In the summer of...I ran 1,000 Western blots in Dr. ( )'s lab". I wouldn't throw out something like "In this rotation, I worked with so and so". The people that helped you out a great deal would be writing you a rec anyway, correct? Concentrate on selling yourself as your own unique candidate on the PS.

I agree. Unless you have worked with someone extensively (ie have gotten a PhD from them, or have ran the "1000 western blots") there is really no need to name drop. That will come out better from the letters of rec. State generally the rotation and concentrate on what YOU have gotten out of it that makes you a good candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
RadOncFever said:
I agree. Unless you have worked with someone extensively (ie have gotten a PhD from them, or have ran the "1000 western blots") there is really no need to name drop. That will come out better from the letters of rec. State generally the rotation and concentrate on what YOU have gotten out of it that makes you a good candidate.
i think thaiger has it right; you can say you worked in Dr Johnson's lab but if Dr Johnson gets a call and doesnt know who you are, wont write you a letter, or if on questioning its clear you were one of 100 people cleaning beakers, dont embarrass yourself.
s

i think its ok to drop names if you did research for the person, but not if you only did a clinical rotation with them. there are 'more pc' ways and 'less pc' ways of doing it...just do it with some tact.

thanks as always for the good advice. i will be playing it safe and not mention anyone by name.

now another PS question: has anyone out there written different statements for different programs? is this necessary?