Naplex standardized test after Nov

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackpcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...the NAPLEX will make a progressive transition to a new administration model in 2016. At that time, the NAPLEX will increase in length from 185 items to 250 items. and increase the depth and breadth.....So the new version NAPLEX will begin on Nov 2016, any input ? so scary!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yeah apparently the new NAPLEX (effective Nov 1, 2016) will:
  • increase from 185 to 250 questions
  • increase from 35 to 50 non-scored pretest questions (~1% increase lol)
  • increase in duration from 4 hours 15 minutes to 6 hours (extra ~3.7 seconds per question)
  • increase from $505 to $575 (~43 cents less per question lol)
  • change from adaptive exam (where the questions will change if you get a previous question wrong) to pre-assembled exam
Source: https://www.nabp.net/system/rich/ri.../001/302/original/march2016nabpnewsletter.pdf

IMO 6 hours sounds way too long. I'd be so exhausted. The good thing is that with more questions, you can afford to get more wrong. lol. The price hike is a bummer though. At the very least I like that it's getting rid of the adaptive style exam

Don't quote me on this but I hear there might be a live patient-counseling section added to the exam competency statements. I don't know how this will play out or when this will take into effect, but then again, as a pharmacist you should be able to communicate to a patient how to use their inhaler device...

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to retake it in November. Im thinking more questions would be better but not sure about the non-adaptive part. I want to say its better since the exam will be more evenly distributed. Regardless, im glad the materials or the content wont change dramtically. At least we still know what to expect.