NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP2009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I passed with 120!!!

I visited this forum a lot for study tips. My turn to share with you guys. I studied for 5 weeks straight. I had a few days off where I didn't study because of vacation and etc. My school provided us one free Pre-Naplex in May, and I got a 76 before studying. I took the Pre-Naplex again a week before the exam and got a 107.

I took the exam today, and I did not feel too great about it. I guessed on a lot of questions. I am really bad at taking standardized exams. I used up the whole 6 hours, so make sure to use your time wisely. I only had 10 minutes to spare at the end. I won't find out my score until next week :(. I regret not practicing enough math calculation the day before the exam.

• 1/3 of the exam was math calculations. More than half of the math calculations were fill in the blank. They were either similar questions from Rxprep or incorporated into your patient case. They provide the lab values for you but most of the ABG questions did provide the reference value except for two questions.
  • I had a lot of oncology questions. They only asked about the general chemo drugs and did not ask any monoclonal or TKIs. Know main side effects and calculation with BSA. They used the generic name for the chemo drug. Some patient cases may already provide you the BSA.
  • I had <5 total questions on HIV and hepatitis. Know the specific drug class within the combination drugs.
  • I had a lot of psych and neuro questions, maybe about 20 questions total (bipolar, schizophrenia, seizure, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer).
  • Make sure to always know the alternative recommended regimen for ID and OIs! The patient is always going to have a PCN allergy or QTc prolongation.
  • Of course, know your biostat, drug references and compounding chapters inside out. There were at least 20 questions from those three chapters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
This looks exactly like my format when I took it in June, sending u positive vibes I hope u pass

@obe1 check out this format

The exam is tricky, but just focus on all the underlined materials and study the bolded brand and generic. Maybe 97% of the brand names matched Rxprep's bolded brand names.

I used Rxprep videos and test bank. I only watched 1/3 of the videos and practiced 3/4 of the test bank because I ran out of time... I believe oncology and HIV Rxprep video should cover most of the questions. Biostat Rxprep video was really helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I took naplex on July 14th and passed! I used passnaplexnow material only to study for the naplex, which I thought was sufficient. The material is easy to read and go through. I still have all the material if anyone interested. It comes with chart book, slides, and question book.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: I passed with 120!!!
  • know your biostat, drug references and compounding chapters inside out. There were at least 20 questions from those three chapters.
For drug reference, do you think those bold and underlined in RxPrep are enough?
TIA

Thought I'd share my experience here since many users shared their experiences which helped me a lot.
I passed NAPLEX with three digit score. I don't remember much about the percentage of questions that came from particular topics. But what I can say is that they can ask you questions from any topics. I took mine on July 5th, and I had topics from Oncology to ID, HTN, BPH, Overactive Bladder, OTC stuff, and lots and lots of calculations and Biostat.
The source that I used to prepare myself was RxPrep and then took RxPrep 150 questions exam about a week before the exam and scored 70% which made me very very nervous, however, then I realized RxPrep scores different from NAPLEX. I covered all the topics however there were some at chapters at beginning which I overlooked such as drug resources, medication safety and quality improvement, drug allergy and adverse reactions drug mech, drug formulations, IV drug compatibility, etc for which I mainly focused on the Key Drugs guy and Study Tips Gal for those chapters.
I could not sleep the day before the test due to so many thoughts about the test.
The day of the test: I filled myself with a small cup of Starbucks coffee and took a can of soda just so that the caffeine and sugar keep me up until the test finishes. I had enough time to finish the exam and took entire 6 hours, I had enough time to do math problems at least twice to verify my answer. I got out thinking I failed the exam, I guess mainly because it's 6 hours and because I was sleep deprived.
A week later, I found out I passed.
Thanks to many users who helped me by sharing their thoughts and experiences.
I hope this helps others.

Reactions: 1 user
My pre Naplex before I study anything was 70 and real score was 86.
I only studied Rxprep book. There are some chapters I did not even look. I did not do most of quizzes (no time) I did calculation and biostatics parts twice though.
I only have 15min left out of 6hours.
Be comfortable with calculations, memorize all equations.

Natural1235: would you consider review/quizzing study sessions virtually (GoogleHangouts/Skype/FaceTime?
I'm just now creating a study schedule. If so, please PM me.

Natural1235: would you consider review/quizzing study sessions virtually (GoogleHangouts/Skype/FaceTime?
I'm just now creating a study schedule. If so, please PM me.
hi, I'm interested...please let me know more

I took the exam on Sep. 7 2017 , I expected the questions to be more straight forward. Well, the vagueness of the questions was a real obstacle. On the other side the questions were not too complicated and finding the answer was easier given you look up for the information you need from the case fast and apply it.
*I had about 20% of the questions as Select all that Apply.
*Many from Calculation which was easy to master.
*Less than I expected from Infectious Dz, but quite a bit.
*Not too many form HIV Chapters.
*Many from Biostat which was a surprise for me.
*Antipsych, Antiepileptic, Antidepressant, these are so important.
*Drug references like every other four questions, I really messed up in that!!!!.
*Diabetes, Ht, HF, Dyslipidemia, Anticoagulant, CKD, Drug Dose Adjustment usually come together in one case.
*Mechanism of action not too many.
*Chemical Structure probably one or two.
I used RxPrep only for my preparation and passed with 86. Didn't do the PreNaplex, and I felt I can do better on the exam. But it's still passing grade. Study Study Study, this is my only advice. I read the book three times took me about 6 month to finish, but hey I work two jobs and my average daily studying time was 7 hours. The video lectures were really helpful especially when you look at the book while you are listening to the lecture. Do yourself a favor don't be too resourceful in your studying rely on one book do the question banks more than one, try to master the chapter before you start with next, and read the feedback after you answer these about 20% of the Knowledge you need. For those who is interested in Rxprep Resources I have my subscription valid until 01/30/2018.

Last edited:
I took the exam on Sep. 7 2017 , I expected the questions to be more straight forward. Well, the vagueness of the questions was a real obstacle. On the other side the questions were not too complicated and finding the answer was easier given you look up for the information you need from the case fast and apply it.
*I had about 20% of the questions as Select all that Apply.
*Many from Calculation which was easy to master.
*Less than I expected from Infectious Dz, but quite a bit.
*Not too many form HIV Chapters.
*Many from Biostat which was a surprise for me.
*Antipsych, Antiepileptic, Antidepressant, these are so important.
*Drug references like every other four questions, I really messed up in that!!!!.
*Diabetes, Ht, HF, Dyslipidemia, Anticoagulant, CKD, Drug Dose Adjustment usually come together in one case.
*Mechanism of action not too many.
*Chemical Structure probably one or two.
I used RxPrep only for my preparation and passed with 86. Didn't do the PreNaplex, and I felt I can do better on the exam. But it's still passing grade. Study Study Study, this is my only advice. I read the book three times took me about 6 month to finish, but hey I work two jobs and my average daily studying time was 7 hours. The video lectures were really helpful especially when you look at the book while you are listening to the lecture. Do yourself a favor don't be too resourceful in your studying rely on one book do the question banks more than one, try to master the chapter before you start with next, and read the feedback after you answer these about 20% of the Knowledge you need. For those who is interested in Rxprep Resources I have my subscription valid until 01/30/2018.
Hi, I am interested in trying Rxprep, how can I get it ?