1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Narcissistic Personality Disorder = ???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Alexander99, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Hello fellow SDNers. I'm taking a clinical psych course and I ran into the criteria for diagnosing an individual with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Does any of this sound familiar?

1. Has grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g. exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superiour without commensurate achievements)

2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. Believes that he/she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (institutions)

4. Requires excessive admiration

5. Has a sense of entitlement, (e.g. unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations)

6. Is interpersonally exploitative (e.g. takes advantage of others to achieve his or her ends)

7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him/her

9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

So, does this sound familiar??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JohnnyOU

JohnnyOU Slow like Honey
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I could never be Narcissistic ..... I'm far too great to be like that.

(soooooo joking) :)

Johnny

4. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    NPD...developed by doctors, for doctors. I'd add that rock stars and pro athletes may find themselves here too.

dc

5. sdude

sdude Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, Christopher Lasch argues in his classic *Culture of Narcissism* (published in the late 1970's) that postwar American culture promotes the development of narcissistic personalities because they are best suited to success in our present society.

His argument is pretty convincing, especially when you consider that many financially and socially successful people have narcissistic qualities. (Bill Clinton is pretty much a textbook case, as is Rudolph Guilliani, and any number of doctors, lawyers, politicians, premeds :), businessmen...).

The problem with having a narcissistic personality is that such people rarely have deep, satisfiying friendships or long-term intimate relationships. Their children tend to be narcissistic or borderline.

6. I took a forensic psychology course and a bunch of serial killers were diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder.

7. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds like the personality of most 8 year old children..... and most surgeons.

;)