Narrow down O-Chem rxns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkiBabeUSF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Seriously, I've heard/read lots of different answers to this question....all of which vary quite a bit....

Which O-chem reactions do we need to know???

What I've been doing is going thru my O-chem book and writing down what I think are "important" reactions. But the list I've made is approaching 70+ reactions!!!! I know this is WAY over DATs scope.

Can someone please tell me what the deal is B/C I need to STOP being ignorant and wasting time.

THANKS A TON

Members don't see this ad.

SkiBabeUSF said:
Hey there,

Seriously, I've heard/read lots of different answers to this question....all of which vary quite a bit....

Which O-chem reactions do we need to know???

What I've been doing is going thru my O-chem book and writing down what I think are "important" reactions. But the list I've made is approaching 70+ reactions!!!! I know this is WAY over DATs scope.

Can someone please tell me what the deal is B/C I need to STOP being ignorant and wasting time.

THANKS A TON

you dont need to memorize every single reaction in the orgo book. work on understanding the concept behind the sn2/sn1 and E1/E2 mechanisms and you will solve a lot of reactions without memorizing them. it works the same way with the functional groups for example ketones and aldehydes follow the same general reaction mechanism etc etc
the only ones you should memorize however are the specific ones like Zellinski or phospho illid etc etc

Notoriousjae said:
you dont need to memorize every single reaction in the orgo book. work on understanding the concept behind the sn2/sn1 and E1/E2 mechanisms and you will solve a lot of reactions without memorizing them. it works the same way with the functional groups for example ketones and aldehydes follow the same general reaction mechanism etc etc
the only ones you should memorize however are the specific ones like Zellinski or phospho illid etc etc

Yeah what they said. I thought i was in pretty good shape for O chem, since I got the highest grade in the class. But since I've only taken the first part, when studying alot of these reactions where WOW, i started to panic. But after learning the reactions you start to see a lot of TRENDS. Like when I see LAH (LiAlH4) i know it reduces (adds Hs) same with Zn(Hg), and NaBH4. Or when you see KMnO4 and Cr303 it oxidizes all more Os. Know your Sn2 and Sn1 and E1 and E2s. Most the acid catalyzed reactions are pretty much very similar same with the Halide reactions.