Narrow down waitlist: Vanderbilt (WL) vs WashU (WL) vs Duke (WL) vs UCSD (PTE, 170k)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRentTooHigh

Reaction score
This might be getting ahead of myself but I wanted to narrow down my waitlist. If I am fortunate to receive additional acceptances, I would like to have my choices ready ASAP in consideration of deadlines and other applicants. I made this post a poll but I would be interested in knowing A>B>C>D>E or which would be worth choosing over UCSD if given the opportunity.

This is somewhat related to my previous X vs Y post (link), which I ended up choosing UCSD. My goals and priorities remain the same. In short, I am aiming to match at a "top" academic residency, preferably in the Bay Area (hence Stanford or UCSF), but would appreciate any "top" academic residency. I am willing to spend 4 years away from home for medical school if it helps me match at home for residency. Unsure of specialty, want to keep options open, plan to do academic medicine or at the very least work in an academic setting.

(Pros and Cons use UCSD as a reference unless specified)
Vanderbilt:
PROS:
-Slightly higher ranked. Match list arguably, but not definitely, better than UCSD
-True P/F for all 4 years
-1 year pre-clinical --> more time to do research
-People seemed nice

CONS:
-Current nice match list is before the P/F curriculum has been integrated (I think?)
-Southern heavy match list
-Not sure if the culture of Nashville fits me (I'm not saying it doesn't, I simply don't know)

WashU:
PROS:
-Highest ranked, seemingly incredible match list clearly levels above UCSD
-Likely to give generous need-based aid (low income)

CONS:
-I am still unsure how their new curriculum affects their rankings. Previous, I believe there were internal rankings dividing the class into thirds. Unsure if this remains with their new curriculum.
-Cutthroat rumors, AOA

Duke:
PROS:
-Higher ranked, only under WashU, excellent match list clearly better than UCSD
-Seemingly uncompetitive. Was told that they are very generous with clerkship grades (each rotation offers at least 50% of students Honors...or something like that)
-1 year preclinical + dedicated 1 year research time (potentially do research back home?)

CONS:
-Furthest
-Small city, somewhat gloomy
-AOA
-A handful of mandatory "filler" courses. According to the Med Student SDN, that's a bad thing, which I kind of agree.

UCSD:
PROS
-Great location
-No AOA

CONS:
-Lower ranked
-Cutthroat rumors
-Only about ~15% of the class matches into a "top" residency
-Rumors of declining prestige, how will it look 4 years from now?
-Less personal attention

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't sense anything special about UCSD at all besides location. For a "top" school they seem boring. I would go to Duke over UCSD. Not a fan of St Louis or Nashville that much

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Just wanted to point out that WashU got rid of AOA this year, which will make the academic/clinical environments even less stress. And in my experience I have had only positive vibes from my peers and classmates. If you’re into match lists (which it sounds like you are), WashU and Duke would stand out, with WashU sending more to the west coast (compared to Duke last year, couldn’t find a full match list for Duke this year) - but this could maybe be because more people from CA are at WashU vs. Duke. Also as far as m3 grades go, there is no limit on H, and the majority of the class gets Hs throughout clerkships :) Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Just wanted to point out that WashU got rid of AOA this year, which will make the academic/clinical environments even less stress. And in my experience I have had only positive vibes from my peers and classmates. If you’re into match lists (which it sounds like you are), WashU and Duke would stand out, with WashU sending more to the west coast (compared to Duke last year, couldn’t find a full match list for Duke this year) - but this could maybe be because more people from CA are at WashU vs. Duke. Also as far as m3 grades go, there is no limit on H, and the majority of the class gets Hs throughout clerkships :) Good luck with your decision!
That's very informative. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, Vanderbilt is P/F for the first two years (preclinical + core clerkships). You still get grades during your advanced rotations in years 3/4, but this still very unique and probably a good balance with step 1 being P/F. They've also been doing this curriculum since I think 2015, so they have graduated at least a class or two with it (edit: it was actually 2013, so they’ve graduated several)

Nashville is also a very fun city. In case this is your concern (no assumptions about you, but I understand it's probably a point of hesitation for some people): There definitely is a "southern-ness" to it, but it's also a liberal, cosmopolitan city with lots of good food, busy nightlife, hipster coffee shops, both country and non-country live music, etc;

FWIW I interviewed at these 3 (not UCSD though), and would say that for me, a huge part of the decision would be what you think about the 1-year curriculum. If that strongly appeals to you (like it did to me), my next question would be what do you want to do with the year you saved? If research--> Duke. If you'd rather get a split of research/clinical time--> Vandy. Personally, the switch to a brand new curriculum at WashU would make me a little nervous but idk how much to weight that. And location-wise, I think Nashville is probably the most fun of the three WLs you're considering, but there are probably very few places (in my mind) that could beat San Diego.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just FYI, Vanderbilt is P/F for the first two years (preclinical + core clerkships). You still get grades during your advanced rotations in years 3/4, but this still very unique and probably a good balance with step 1 being P/F. They've also been doing this curriculum since I think 2015, so they have graduated at least a class or two with it (edit: it was actually 2013, so they’ve graduated several)

Nashville is also a very fun city. In case this is your concern (no assumptions about you, but I understand it's probably a point of hesitation for some people): There definitely is a "southern-ness" to it, but it's also a liberal, cosmopolitan city with lots of good food, busy nightlife, hipster coffee shops, both country and non-country live music, etc;

FWIW I interviewed at these 3 (not UCSD though), and would say that for me, a huge part of the decision would be what you think about the 1-year curriculum. If that strongly appeals to you (like it did to me), my next question would be what do you want to do with the year you saved? If research--> Duke. If you'd rather get a split of research/clinical time--> Vandy. Personally, the switch to a brand new curriculum at WashU would make me a little nervous but idk how much to weight that. And location-wise, I think Nashville is probably the most fun of the three WLs you're considering, but there are probably very few places (in my mind) that could beat San Diego.
Great analysis. For me, I am struggling between location vs prestige. Getting out of CA would be a big change for me.

1 year preclinical at Duke is miserable from firsthand accounts I've heard.

-Duke undergrad who knows ~20 people in Duke med

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user