narrowing application schools - MSAR, gpa, competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wya2020

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Eh your advisor is a little ill-informed. Your GPA is competitive for most MD schools however if you get a 505 on the MCAT that will hurt your chances.

Can't build a school list until you have an MCAT score!

Reactions: 1 user
Eh your advisor is a little ill-informed. Your GPA is competitive for most MD schools however if you get a 505 on the MCAT that will hurt your chances.

Can't build a school list until you have an MCAT score!

i agree and am going to wait to apply until i have my mcat score so i can better chance myself. however, gpa-wise, what percentile makes some "competitive" at a school like if ur gpa s at 50, 60, 75-th percentile...because i am realizing my gpa doesnt fall at the 75th percentile for a lot of schools but would be competitive (?) at others

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence

i agree and am going to wait to apply until i have my mcat score so i can better chance myself. however, gpa-wise, what percentile makes some "competitive" at a school like if ur gpa s at 50, 60, 75-th percentile...because i am realizing my gpa doesnt fall at the 75th percentile for a lot of schools but would be competitive (?) at others

It doesn't matter. For NYU, your GPA will not be at their median however if you score a 523+ on the MCAT then that may catch the eye of a reviewer. Use your MCAT score to determine where to apply and see if your GPA falls within the percentile range.

You seem to understand how it works at a high level, but are glossing over the fact that there really is no such thing as having a "good shot" when 60% of all applicants are unsuccessful and each school has an acceptance rate comparable to Harvard UG! Common sense dictates that you are competitive at any school where your GPA is at or above the 50%-ile. Depending on what the rest of your application looks like, that can go down to 25%-ile or even 10%-ile, with the odds getting worse and worse the further below the median you go.

It's not like UG, and you're not going to get any more certainty that this!! That's why most people apply to 20, 30 or more schools, and half of the 40% who are successful only receive one A!!! That's your advisor's so-called "good shot" - if you are typical, you going to apply to 20-something schools, most of which will have median GPAs at or below your 3.8, and, if you're lucky, you'll receive one A.

What percentile should my gpa and science gpa fall at a school for me to consider applying - like what percentile would be considered a backup/safety, decent, and reach if we were to put it in undergrad terms. I realize that having a "backup" or "safety" med school may not be a thing as getting even 1 acceptance is a pretty big deal. my advisor said any school where u fall above the 50th percentile for gpa, u have a good shot...but i dont know if i believe that or how informed that info is.

Like what percentile should my gpa fall for me to be competitive at a school and not just chancing it? realize a school list isnt possible w/o a mcat.

my cumulative is at a 3.81 and my science is 3.76/3.77 from Indiana so if anyone could offer me a list of schools based on those stats that i would be ~competitive~ at would be amazing and insightful. i'm taking the mcat later this summer so chancing me anywhere without that may be useless until i have that score, but i would like a general idea of competitiveness and how to pick schools - there's so many and each app costs so much
No MCAT, no list. It's a waste of time without an MCAT