Narrowing Down The List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently trying to narrow down my list of schools, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what types of things to look at when deciding on a final list of schools. I have been taking into account the average GPA and MCAT (although I have not yet gotten back the results of my MCAT), and using that as a guide, as well as location, but I was wondering if there were any other factors that previous applicants could give as advice. Also, do you think that applying to 12 schools is a good number, or should I be applying to more? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ms2209 said:
Hello all,

I am currently trying to narrow down my list of schools, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what types of things to look at when deciding on a final list of schools. I have been taking into account the average GPA and MCAT (although I have not yet gotten back the results of my MCAT), and using that as a guide, as well as location, but I was wondering if there were any other factors that previous applicants could give as advice. Also, do you think that applying to 12 schools is a good number, or should I be applying to more? Thanks!

You got all the right factors already. It will all depend on your GPA and the MCAT score. Post'em, and you will get decent suggestions.

Is 12 enough? It depends on how competitive your application is. I had a 3.45/35 from a decent state school with loads of research, almost no ECs, and great letters. 9 applications, 5 interviews, 4 acceptances

The answers to your questions depend a lot on your own personal preferences, but I can tell you a couple things that were extremely important to me and maybe they'll be important to you, too.

Problem-Based Learning: Do you want a traditional lecture curriculum or would you rather have lots of small group work?

P/F grading: Many schools use pass/fail grading for the first two years, others use traditional letter grades or Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail grading.

Be sure you apply to a good mix of schools with median numbers below yours, around yours, and above yours. If you are a Texas resident, I would say applying to 12 schools is fine. If you are a California resident, I'd say you should definitely apply to more. If you are just a resident of any old normal state, 12 could be okay, provided you apply to a decent proportion that are "realistic," including, of course, your state school(s). If you can afford to apply to more schools, I would do it, just so you have more options and less of a chance of getting left out in the cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
ms2209 said:
Hello all,

Here are some guidelines I followed when trying to narrow my list:

1) Whether or not the school accepted out-of-staters. This REALLY narrowed the list!

2) Location. North/South, East Coast/West Coast, city/suburban/rural.

3) Type of curriculum (although this wasn't as important to me back then as getting INTO a school- but will become more and more important as you visit schools and learn about their intricacies)... problem based/traditional, etc.

4) Distance from home. Do I know anyone in the area? Do I have a support network there?

5) Cost, and potential scholarships/financial aid.

There are many other important factors which might come into play as you learn more about the schools, as well, such as exam scheduling (weekly, or block system). Much of the time your learning-style may influence where you apply.

I applied to 16 schools. I think generally it's a good idea to apply to 3 or 4 reach schools, or more if you can afford it. Don't go entirely based on average numbers and stats... you never know where you might get in!!

Other things to consider is curriculum. Is it traditional, system based, or problem-based learning. Also consider patient exposure during the first two years. Standardized patients vs actual patients. Can't really think of anything else right now

In terms of how many schools to apply to it depends on how competive you are. If you think you are a strong candidate then 12 is plenty. If you are borderline then you probably want to apply to a few more schools.

Another thing to consider is the likelihood you'll get accepted so you want to have a wide range of schools from "safety schools" to reach schools.

Okay, my stats so far (without the MCAT, because I am not sure what I got yet) are a 3.83 overall GPA from Columbia University. I have a 3.78 science GPA and a 3.87 non-science GPA. In terms of extra curriculars, I've been all over the place, doing research over the summers, volunteer work at a local hospital, writing for the school paper, and working as a computing assistant.

By the way, thanks for all of your suggestions so far, this is really helpful!! I really appreciate it :)!

ms2209 said:
Okay, my stats so far (without the MCAT, because I am not sure what I got yet) are a 3.83 overall GPA from Columbia University. I have a 3.78 science GPA and a 3.87 non-science GPA. In terms of extra curriculars, I've been all over the place, doing research over the summers, volunteer work at a local hospital, writing for the school paper, and working as a computing assistant.

These are some great #s. Break a 30 on the MCAT, and no school is out of reach for you! :thumbup:

Nice signature, the idiot one. Hah

idq1i said:
These are some great #s. Break a 30 on the MCAT, and no school is out of reach for you! :thumbup:

Nice signature, the idiot one. Hah

Thanks! I can't help but feel though that there are so many other people who are so much better off, and it makes me really nervous. Plus, one of the pre-med assistants was telling us that there's "no such thing as a safety school" - yikes.

ms2209 said:
one of the pre-med assistants was telling us that there's "no such thing as a safety school" - yikes.

They are right. Your job is to make your candidacy as desirable as possible, and it looks like you are well ahead in this task.

Don't worry about the intangibles

ms2209 said:
Thanks! I can't help but feel though that there are so many other people who are so much better off, and it makes me really nervous. Plus, one of the pre-med assistants was telling us that there's "no such thing as a safety school" - yikes.

I felt the same way. I had the numbers but I didn't feel like I stood out. In the end it all worked out and I'm going to a good school. You'll get in somewhere, don't worry about it.

It is true that there is no such thing as a safety school but I always find safety in numbers. In other words there is no single school where you are guaranteed an acceptance but if you apply to a number of these so called "safety school" you will most likely get into at least one if not more of them.

SarahGM said:

1) Whether or not the school accepted out-of-staters. This REALLY narrowed the list!

Where do you find this information? Thanks

Forget MSAR, the only thing you need is US News ONLINE edition. Check out the admissions stats for each school, it breaks it down by state, gender, race, etc. Even has interview %-ages. Its fantastic.

I wouldnt narrow schools down until you get your MCATs. 12 is a good number for now, and prolly not worth narrowing down from yet.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I'm sort of frustrated right now, because I'm getting "advice" that the schools that I think are good for a safer range are going to "overlook me" due to my stats, assuming that I will just turn them down in favor of much better schools. I am not sure what to do at this point in terms of my so-called "safety" schools, because if the "safety schools" turned me down for this reason and the top schools turned me down for not being competitive ENOUGH, where does that leave me? This process is so insane!!!! :eek:

SarahGM said:

1) Whether or not the school accepted out-of-staters. This REALLY narrowed the list

Yeah make sure it is not just one or two out of staters either. Make sure the school accepts 50 or 60 or more.

ms2209 said:
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I'm sort of frustrated right now, because I'm getting "advice" that the schools that I think are good for a safer range are going to "overlook me" due to my stats, assuming that I will just turn them down in favor of much better schools. I am not sure what to do at this point in terms of my so-called "safety" schools, because if the "safety schools" turned me down for this reason and the top schools turned me down for not being competitive ENOUGH, where does that leave me? This process is so insane!!!! :eek:

I felt the same way. But it's not really true. Maybe for some schools it is, but in general it's not the case. If you let the school know that it's your safety school then you might be in trouble. Just convince the school that you really want to go there and you should have no problem.

The only exception is that I have a feeling that schools know where you were accepted before may 15 and if they see you were accepted to a better school they'll put you on the waitlist and take you of it if you show an interst in their school

SarahGM said:

2) Location. North/South, East Coast/West Coast, city/suburban/rural.

3) Type of curriculum (although this wasn't as important to me back then as getting INTO a school- but will become more and more important as you visit schools and learn about their intricacies)... problem based/traditional, etc.

4) Distance from home. Do I know anyone in the area? Do I have a support network there?

5) Cost, and potential scholarships/financial aid.

There are many other important factors which might come into play as you learn more about the schools, as well, such as exam scheduling (weekly, or block system). Much of the time your learning-style may influence where you apply.

I applied to 16 schools. I think generally it's a good idea to apply to 3 or 4 reach schools, or more if you can afford it. Don't go entirely based on average numbers and stats... you never know where you might get in!!

Wow, these are about the exact same criteria I used, and in the same order.

ms2209 said:
even though that is somewhat common...theres nothing you can do about the randomness of the process...apply to about 15-20 schools that you want to attend and hope for the best. just make yourself the best applicant you can be and the rest should take care of itself.