Narrowing it down...how many programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK...so I have narrowed my program search down.

I am at 100 now! Well, maybe a little less than that.

This is such a tough process. How am I supposed to narrow it down to a select few programs? And HOW MANY should it be??

Of course I am looking at both osteopathic and allopathic programs, but its tedious.

The problem is I dont have any really major exclusion criteria. As long as my fiancee can work locally (she works for a large retail pharmacy chain) the program fits my initial rule out.

So I am sitting here with the list of programs spanning 7 states.

So far all I have done is cancel out Baltimore!

I have 2 electives these next 2 months at my top choice program. Then I am planning an elective at another program that is in my top 5. That leaves me with one elective near interview time so I need to chose that place wisely. My other electives are in February and March...a bit late to be rotating at places I am interested in.

Decisions, decisions!

Sorry...needed to vent!

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

JPHazelton said:

This is such a tough process. How am I supposed to narrow it down to a select few programs? And HOW MANY should it be??

Of course I am looking at both osteopathic and allopathic programs, but its tedious.

The problem is I dont have any really major exclusion criteria. As long as my fiancee can work locally (she works for a large retail pharmacy chain) the program fits my initial rule out.

I have 2 electives these next 2 months at my top choice program. Then I am planning an elective at another program that is in my top 5. That leaves me with one elective near interview time so I need to chose that place wisely. My other electives are in February and March...a bit late to be rotating at places I am interested in.

Decisions, decisions!

Sorry...needed to vent!

Any suggestions?

Hi there,
Send a PM to ExtraCrispy. This person applied to a huge number of places and had a huge number of interviews last year. Anyway, if I remember correctly, EC applied broadly across the board and may be a good source to help you narrow down even more. I think 100 is going to be a bit of overkill for you though. No one can eat that much "rubber chicken".
njbmd :)

P.S. ToxicMegacolon also had an insane number of interview invites. This person could be another resource for you.

Simple:
Give a list of 50 to your program director and LOR people.
It will take them 5 minutes to check "yeah" or "neah"
That's where you apply. Simple!

Also - check ACGME - make sure status is OK
Then apply to 35-40

JPHazelton said:

Decisions, decisions!

Sorry...needed to vent!

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, 100 programs for a DO in general surgery isn't too far out of the ball park. (This isn't because you're a DO, it's because all I know is DO).

Apply. Wait to interview.

Let them narrow you down- that's the program director's job.

You can make a more informed decision if and when you interview. You won't get 100 interviews, and you always have the option (not a recommended option, but the option) of declining an interview. That will narrow it down for you.

If you really, really need extra criteria: look at likelihood of tracking into residency for PGY-1 only spots (if you're interested in the program's residency program) and/or quality of fellowships (or PGY2+ residencies) that graduates of the PGY-1 year go on to.

hi, im an img with 3 yrs surg experience in india, step1 262 and step2 274, gvg my cs, wat kinda colleges do u thnk i have a shot at?mid level or lower?hw many programs to apply?