Nastiest interviewers of the 2007-2008 season.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJDIF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the adcom office thread...

...So for all of us that have concluded the 2007-2008 cycle, i'm sure there have been plenty of ball busters, nasties, and just flat out jerks.

My vote goes to my very 1st, at NYMC. the dude starts grilling me on obscure 70s baseball trivia, which i knew nothing about, then starts preaching politics until i agreed with everything he said.

RWJ also had a huge stone wall, emotionless ball busting interviewer. she would have done well as one of the guards outside of buckingham palace.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at the University of Florida, the first thing my interviewer asked me was:

So looking through your AMCAS application, I noticed that you scored a 28 on your ACT. You're obvliously not a good test taker; do you know medical school is all about standardized tests?

Pfffttttttttttttt

Members don't see this ad :)
One PhD rattled off how MDs are idiots and don't know how to think. I really didn't know how to respond to that one...

One PhD rattled off how MDs are idiots and don't know how to think. I really didn't know how to respond to that one...

:thumbup: Heh. Wonderful. Just, just beautiful.

i haven't heard of any nasty interview from my horses' mouth. may be that's why they went 7/9 collectively. one rejection was not unexpected and the other one, he was stranded on the waitlist at ucsf (because he had no experience in research?)

it might be a good idea to report incidence or prevalence of nasty interviews or (whatever it's is called) too.:eek:

i haven't heard of any nasty interview from my horses' mouth. may be that's why they went 7/9 collectively. one rejection was not unexpected and the other one, he was stranded on the waitlist at ucsf (because he had no experience in research?)

it might be a good idea to report incidence or prevalence of nasty interviews or (whatever it's is called) too.:eek:

I've heard of MDs bashing PhDs during MD/PhD interviews...go figure.

When I interviewed at the University of Florida, the first thing my interviewer asked me was:

So looking through your AMCAS application, I noticed that you scored a 28 on your ACT. You're obvliously not a good test taker; do you know medical school is all about standardized tests?

Pfffttttttttttttt

hello, since you went to UF (i assume), do you have MD apps? eh?

STANFORD

i interviewed at 13 schools and each had at least 2 interviews. So that means i interviewed with (13 x 2) 26 people during my interview trail. Of all of my interviewers, the top 2 coldest and nastiest interviewers (by far) were from stanford.

at buffalo the presentation included this older crotchety guy who told us they revamped the curriculum to include a lot of addiction stuff because "let's face it, you're all going to become drug addicts if you aren't already."

and then during one of my two interviews there (the dean, actually) the topic of scut came up and he hands me this book titled scut monkey from his bookshelf and I'm just holdin this book but he's still talkin to me and asking me questions so I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do, open this book and flip through it while trying to answer his questions or what. In the end it just sat in my lap and i gave it back to him at the end -- but it felt really strange. Was i supposed to look at it?? what the hell? lol.

the other interviewer was a lot of fun actually except I'm pretty sure he had no idea what occam's razor was even after i thought i explained it very clearly. So he ended up trying to convince me that squash is superior to racquetball.

edit: I suppose these are more strange than nasty. I didn't really get any nastiness but at Creighton my interviewer seemed like he really couldn't care less about interviewing me.

Also when I interviewed at Miami, my interviewer had some music on in the background. I thought that was extremely disrespectful :\

Members don't see this ad :)
like nice music? or laying down some techno/gangsta rap stuff.

Pop music. It was the radio.

yeah the song was funny, i was just a huge boy meets world fan growing up.

ill get the ball rolling again...

the guy at downstate made me sit at his desk for half an hour while he argued with his wife on the phone. then scanned through my AMCAS, and ended our conversation after 15 min.

At Univ. of Colorado I had an interviewer who told me that a med student is too busy to ever participate in any research after I told him I like the idea of academic medicine. This same thing happened at NYMC so I got annoyed and listed 5 people who published in medical school from my lab said I completely disagree. I really hated discouraging interviewers.

my favorite interview line was, "ok, then, what do you want me to tell the committee when we meet to discuss YOU, accept, REJECT, or put on hold?" i'm not even kidding, this is what the interviewer actually told me.

At Ohio State my interviewer asked me if I was mormon (because of some things in my background). When I said no he said, "Thats too bad because mormons are superior students." Douchebag.

At Ohio State my interviewer asked me if I was mormon (because of some things in my background). When I said no he said, "Thats too bad because mormons are superior students." Douchebag.

wowwwww

warning to any young , male interviewees of decent to moderate looks.

beware of old , white , female doctors/surgeons.

they want your balls...and not in the good way. =/

Last edited:
you mean interviewees, I believe...

I bought a tight pencil skirt with a conservative black lace ruffle that can peek out of the slit (it hides my legs in case there be too much showing heaven forbid)...hopefully it is conservative enough to please the interviewer ladies, yet sexy enough to tempt the gentleman. I am pulling out all my tricks.

warning to any young , male interviewees of decent to moderate looks.

beware of old , white , female doctors/surgeons.

they want your balls...and not in the good way. =/

If that's what it takes to get in, she can have them twice and once in the morning.

If that's what it takes to get in, she can have them twice and once in the morning.

Hah, I know. When I tell people "I'll do whatever it takes to get in," I mean exactly that.

one interviewer i had at umdnj actually answered his cell phone in the middle of our interview... and proceeded to talk on the phone for about 5 minutes in front of me as i awkwardly stared out the window and pretended not to listen.

one interviewer i had at umdnj actually answered his cell phone in the middle of our interview... and proceeded to talk on the phone for about 5 minutes in front of me as i awkwardly stared out the window and pretended not to listen.

That's just terribly disrespectful. You should report him or something.

NJMS or RWJ?

STANFORD

i interviewed at 13 schools and each had at least 2 interviews. So that means i interviewed with (13 x 2) 26 people during my interview trail. Of all of my interviewers, the top 2 coldest and nastiest interviewers (by far) were from stanford.

Also, the admissions office is REALLY rude, not to mention totally useless in answering any relevant questions. You'd think that an institution like that would have someone with at least half a brain working in their admissions office...

Hah, I know. When I tell people "I'll do whatever it takes to get in," I mean exactly that.

lol . *wink wink*

usually with my interviews i would just intiate and if they said anything i would look up at them like a lost perplexed puppy and be like "no tu gusta?"

Last edited:
lol . *wink wink*

usually with my interviews i would just intiate and if they said anything i would look up at them like a lost perplexed puppy and be like "no tu gusta?"

"no te gusta."

C'mon, a dog in a taco commercial speaks better spanish than you.

I've had a few people answer their phones during interviews, but they were usually on call, so that's understandable.

to my knowledge, one way to avoid nasty interviewers et al is to apply to mcv and wvsom. :thumbup:

have all nice interviews you can take, folks!:luck:

In the first minute of an interview:

"So I guess the one major deficiency on your application is your lack of clinical experience."

Alright, I'll make sure to go out and fix that before I apply. Oh wait. Too late for that.

Tried to talk about the 9 months I had volunteering at the hospital 3-4 hours per week with direct patient contact... and not being sure if I even wanted to pursue medicine until my senior year of college.

He didn't care...

So is this actually the grammar police thread then? LOL. You guys have spent too much time proofing your AMCAS app and PS!

Wait. Didn't you just post about one of your rejection letters having a typo?

Yeah, you did.

So is this actually the grammar police thread then? LOL. You guys have spent too much time proofing your AMCAS app and PS!

AH! I totally did, too! :-D You have NO idea how true those words are...

*Well, on a more positive note, it appears that there are not too many nasty interviews going on. I was afraid the thread would blossom to 6 pages over the past 20 hours -- and then I'd know there was something to worry about.*

Touro-CA. It was three interviewers and four interviewees at the same time - panel format. One was nice, one was a complete bitch, and the other acted like he didn't care (even looked disheveled).

It was clearly an act, but one of the other interviewees wasn't too bright and got defensive. They tore her to shreds like those man-eating pigs from Hannibal.

The mean interviewer kept going after me for having no osteopathic shadowing experience. Each time, I respectfully reminded her that I had extensive experience shadowing a primary care MD in an undeserved area, and that my pediatrician was a DO. The third time she bought it up, I gave an imploring look to the "disheveled" interviewer, who broke character and told her, "that's enough."

...And I was accepted.

Btw, I really think most of these interviewers are nice people, just trying to get a rise out of us or spice up the process. I hold no grudges.

Touro-CA. It was three interviewers and four interviewees at the same time - panel format. One was nice, one was a complete bitch, and the other acted like he didn't care (even looked disheveled).

It was clearly an act, but one of the other interviewees wasn't too bright and got defensive. They tore her to shreds like those man-eating pigs from Hannibal.

The mean interviewer kept going after me for having no osteopathic shadowing experience. Each time, I respectfully reminded her that I had extensive experience shadowing a primary care MD in an undeserved area, and that my pediatrician was a DO. The third time she bought it up, I gave an imploring look to the "disheveled" interviewer, who broke character and told her, "that's enough."

...And I was accepted.

Btw, I really think most of these interviewers are nice people, just trying to get a rise out of us or spice up the process. I hold no grudges.

"Man eating pigs in Hannibal"? Did not know..Used to work near there in E.R. when I lived in Missouri. How did you discover this.?

That's just terribly disrespectful. You should report him or something.

Happened to me too - and when I stopped when he picked up, he told me to keep talking. He also grilled me on my politics regarding the iraq war until I bent to his side. I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth showing up to that one.

Everyone I interviewed with was super friendly....lucky me I guess.

My worst interview was definitely SUNY Downstate. My interviewer was so rude, the best part of the day was DEFINITELY leaving. He was sure that i really watned to be an anthropologist/archaeologist and not a doctor and kept commenting on how my interests were too varied and i didn't have enough clinical experience (i've been in EMS for over 9 years, i'm an ALS provider, CPR instructor, Worked for three different ambulance companies (simultaneously) for years, worked ems at a state park for two years, was the "nurse" (EMT) at a summer sports camp for three summers, have shadowed, and done a year of clinical research with daily patiend contact and multiple publications...aparently that didn't show enough interest in medicine) and he brought up my LGBT activism and asked how i thought that "that type of lifestyle" could possibly fit into the field of medicine... I don't exactly plan to have sex with other women at work, and i thought that that was fairly obvious? After feeling discriminated against and generally hated, he proceded to seal the deal and make me sure i didn't want to go there by letting me know that my "type of student" woudln't fit in there. Somehow i still got in, but withdrew that day.

My worst interview was definitely SUNY Downstate. My interviewer was so rude, the best part of the day was DEFINITELY leaving. He was sure that i really watned to be an anthropologist/archaeologist and not a doctor and kept commenting on how my interests were too varied and i didn't have enough clinical experience (i've been in EMS for over 9 years, i'm an ALS provider, CPR instructor, Worked for three different ambulance companies (simultaneously) for years, worked ems at a state park for two years, was the "nurse" (EMT) at a summer sports camp for three summers, have shadowed, and done a year of clinical research with daily patiend contact and multiple publications...aparently that didn't show enough interest in medicine) and he brought up my LGBT activism and asked how i thought that "that type of lifestyle" could possibly fit into the field of medicine... I don't exactly plan to have sex with other women at work, and i thought that that was fairly obvious? After feeling discriminated against and generally hated, he proceded to seal the deal and make me sure i didn't want to go there by letting me know that my "type of student" woudln't fit in there. Somehow i still got in, but withdrew that day.

What? People say things like "your interests are too varied"? LGBT activism wouldn't fit in the field of medicine? Man. That's just unbelievable.

I think if someone told me "your type of student would never fit in here" I'd probably just shake the interviewer's hand and say "well, in that case, I won't waste any more of your time or mine. I'm going to go enjoy the city now."