1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Nate: medical school curriculum

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jim Henderson, Aug 23, 1999.

1. Jim Henderson

10+ Year Member

Hi! I'm a little confused about what medical school will be like. I know that there is
    actually four years of school followed by a certain number of years in a residency
    program, the number of which vary between programs. Are there other things that I
    don't know about? What constitutes an "Intern", and where to fellowships fall? I'm
    interested in Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine and I'd like to have an idea of
    how much school I have left. I appreciate any help you can give.
    ------------------
    Nathan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jim Henderson

10+ Year Member

Nate, thanks for you post. Medical school is 4 years. An internship is essentially the
    first year of residency. Residencies vary from 3 to 5 years and then more if you
    specialize. To be an orthopedic surgeon, you have to go through a couple years of
    general surgery and then several years of orthopedic surgery. To go into sports
    medicine, you can either do a 3 year family practice or internal medicine residency or
    go through an orthopedic residency and then do the sports medicine.
    Fellowships are subspecialty training after residency. Sports medicine, for example,
    comnstitutes a fellowship.

So, starting from your first year of medical school, you would have 7 to 11 years of
    training necessary for these fields.

Hope this helps and doesn't scare ya too much!

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net