Nate: medical school curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a little confused about what medical school will be like. I know that there is
actually four years of school followed by a certain number of years in a residency
program, the number of which vary between programs. Are there other things that I
don't know about? What constitutes an "Intern", and where to fellowships fall? I'm
interested in Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine and I'd like to have an idea of
how much school I have left. I appreciate any help you can give.
------------------
Nathan

Members don't see this ad.

Nate, thanks for you post. Medical school is 4 years. An internship is essentially the
first year of residency. Residencies vary from 3 to 5 years and then more if you
specialize. To be an orthopedic surgeon, you have to go through a couple years of
general surgery and then several years of orthopedic surgery. To go into sports
medicine, you can either do a 3 year family practice or internal medicine residency or
go through an orthopedic residency and then do the sports medicine.
Fellowships are subspecialty training after residency. Sports medicine, for example,
comnstitutes a fellowship.

So, starting from your first year of medical school, you would have 7 to 11 years of
training necessary for these fields.

Hope this helps and doesn't scare ya too much!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net