National Average Step 1 Score trending up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you could tell me the national average and sd for your score report and when you received your results. I'm wondering if average step 1 scores are trending up significantly.

I took the Step 1 on 06/26/2009. My results came back 07/15/09. The average was 221, the sd was 23.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice guys, so no one with scores back from late July and August can post their mean and sd from the score report?

why would the national average change?

Kids are preparing better. Obviously, the 50th percentile will always be the average...I'm talking about the 3-digit score. It used to be like 215. I think kids are using UW and studying harder so that the average increases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you could tell me the national average and sd for your score report and when you received your results. I'm wondering if average step 1 scores are trending up significantly.

I took the Step 1 on 06/26/2009. My results came back 07/15/09. The average was 221, the sd was 23.

the average can't change that dramatically. Senior AMGs who graduated in 2007, had an average was ~220.4 (s.d. = 20.3) (pg 11, http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf). most took the exam in 2005.

this average doesn't include the few people who didn't apply that round (either dropped out of med school after they took their boards or took time off after graduation), and Canadian med students.

Last edited:
Kids are preparing better. Obviously, the 50th percentile will always be the average...I'm talking about the 3-digit score. It used to be like 215. I think kids are using UW and studying harder so that the average increases.

The national average is calculated annually. It won't change again until 2010.

The national average is calculated annually. It won't change again until 2010.

But if the 3-digit numbers are not pegged to say 215...then they're probably based off of the means from those taking the test throughout the year. I'm not sure how an average in September of this year could not be 223.

But if the 3-digit numbers are not pegged to say 215...then they're probably based off of the means from those taking the test throughout the year. I'm not sure how an average in September of this year could not be 223.

You are losing me, here.

Just as the minimum score is adjusted yearly, so is the 3-digit mean. It is adjusted every year, along with the minimum 3-digit score.

What leads you to believe otherwise?

I took the test mid-May, received my score 3 weeks after that, and the average and SD were 222 and 22.

Last year when I took it in June, the national mean was 222 with a SD of 22 for what its worth.

So what was the national average for 2009? Has it really gone up significantly? Wasn't the national avg around ~216 just 2-3 years ago? Now I heard it is around 222??

So what was the national average for 2009? Has it really gone up significantly? Wasn't the national avg around ~216 just 2-3 years ago? Now I heard it is around 222??

It was 221 in 2009.

It was 217 in 2007 or 2008.

The scores are standardized each year, so that a 225 one year is the same as 225 the next year and in 10 years, a 225 is still the same as a 225 from previous years.

The averages are going up just as MCAT scores are going up. More people are taking prep courses, studying harder and longer.