National Boards Becoming Pass/Fail in 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PickMe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got this email today:

"Some of you may have heard that the National Board Dental and Dental Hygiene
Examinations will be moving from a scored exam to a pass/fail. The buzz is
true! Beginning January 1, 2010, candidate performance on Part I, Part II, and
the Dental Hygiene examination will be reported to candidates, state boards,
and dental schools only as pass or fail. The decision was made at the Joint
Commission on National Dental Examinations' meeting on March 11-12, 2008. The
Commission also decided that standard scores will no longer be developed or
reported. Further, they will continue to report raw score performance
information in the disciplines covered on the examinations for failing
candidates only.
This information on failing candidates will be provided to candidates and
dental schools.

Learn more:
-
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/act_jcnde.pdf
Unofficial Actions of the Joint Commission March Meeting

Forwarded from American Dental Association"

just thought you guys might be interested seeing that most of you will take the part I in 2010 or later.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats interesting, but I can't say I know how it will affect me...how will it?

"Approved a change in eligibility requirements such that candidates who pass the National Board examinations cannot retake the examination unless requested or required by a licensing jurisdiction."
What does this quote mean? Why would anyone want to take it twice anyway? If it is a simple pass/fail then this doesn't make any sense.
Thanks for posting.

Thats interesting, but I can't say I know how it will affect me...how will it?

"Approved a change in eligibility requirements such that candidates who pass the National Board examinations cannot retake the examination unless requested or required by a licensing jurisdiction."
What does this quote mean? Why would anyone want to take it twice anyway? If it is a simple pass/fail then this doesn't make any sense.
Thanks for posting.

As of now board scores play a huge role in gaining admittance to specialty programs. So the greatest effect will be to those students applying for those programs. Losing that score opens up the door for different possibilities of evaluation by directors of these programs.

I think the motivation in taking it more than once is to improve this score for the purpose of getting into a specialty program.

This change probably has little to no effect on students who were content on just passing it already for the purpose of going right into practice as a GP.