National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomaszt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
chicago school of professional psychology is accredited only by National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology , but not by APA. Does it dramatically decrease chances of getting job?
Please help to make decision

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you want to do and where you want to work. If your main goal is private practice, then no, it might not/probably won't. Conversely, if you want to work in academic medicine, the VA, or academia, then yes, odds are it will significantly hinder your employment prospects.

Prior to employment, though, attending a non-APA accredited doctoral program WILL significantly reduce your chances of obtaining an internship (and particularly an APA- or APPIC-accredited internship).

There are multiple other threads in this forum regarding various professional schools and APA accreditation. Browsing those could provide you with much more information.

chicago school of professional psychology is accredited only by National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology , but not by APA. Does it dramatically decrease chances of getting job?
Please help to make decision

OP, are you talking about masters or doctoral programs? you posted the same question over on the masters forum (somethin' you're kinda not supposed to do), where I just finished posting the same reply. Namely, that APA accreditation comes into play for doctoral programs, not masters (someone jump in here if I got that last part wrong).

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, are you talking about masters or doctoral programs? you posted the same question over on the masters forum (somethin' you're kinda not supposed to do), where I just finished posting the same reply. Namely, that APA accreditation comes into play for doctoral programs, not masters (someone jump in here if I got that last part wrong).

Good catch. As far as I'm aware, unless something's changed recently, the APA only accredits doctoral programs (in addition to internships and post-docs).

Status
Not open for further replies.