dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am an MS2 thinking of the new National Guard ASR Program, but I was wondering how people handled their drill during their residency (i.e. how hard is it to get off one weekend every three months per the Flex-Drill program and the two weeks of summer drill, or when did you complete OBC). Does it depend on your unit/CO or is it more flexible.
Also, while I know this is not an easy question, but do you think this "hurts" your chances at getting a competitive residency or is it neutral, positive? I assume it must be revealed on your application, so did people bring this up in the interview, or leave it be?
THANKS!

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am an MS2 thinking of the new National Guard ASR Program, but I was wondering how people handled their drill during their residency (i.e. how hard is it to get off one weekend every three months per the Flex-Drill program and the two weeks of summer drill, or when did you complete OBC).
OBLC can be completed at any time, but you can't be promoted from O-1 until you complete it. It's only offered five times a year, so fitting it in a med school schedule can be challenging until a third year elective or fourth year. Most folks I've talked to are taking it in fourth year. Those with more flexible schedules in third year are taking it then.
Does it depend on your unit/CO or is it more flexible.
Good advice I've heard is to find an assignment to a medical battalion during residency. Other units may sound more appealing, but at least at a medical battalion, you are amongst other physicians who understand what residency is like. Trying to explain your lack of schedule flexibility in an Infantry unit may get you a lot less sympathy.
Also, while I know this is not an easy question, but do you think this "hurts" your chances at getting a competitive residency or is it neutral, positive? I assume it must be revealed on your application, so did people bring this up in the interview, or leave it be?
THANKS!
It varies a lot by program, but overall I think it will be neutral at most places and neutral or slightly negative at particularly competitive residencies. It also probably depends a lot on your field.

I've spoken to a few residency folks at my school and asked them their frank opinions. Several said, "Wow, that's great, what a service..." and lumped it up there as any other EC like student leadership. Almost all of them were uncomfortable with the idea of me having a firm commitment outside of residency that I was obligated to do (and one that would possibly conflict with their schedule).

Several of them expressed concern about the possibility of having someone pulled out of residency for military service. When I explained that this wouldn't happen, they sort of nodded and said, "Yeah, but it's happened before."

You'll get some support from ex-military folks you speak to at residencies, but even amongst them keep in mind that at the end of the day, they are looking out for their program first and foremost (as they should). My approach is going to be to only bring it up if asked and bring in any and all assurances that I will not be activated during residency and discuss the policy of what my training commitments will be and the flexibility they will have.

tscottturner

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am an MS2 thinking of the new National Guard ASR Program, but I was wondering how people handled their drill during their residency (i.e. how hard is it to get off one weekend every three months per the Flex-Drill program and the two weeks of summer drill, or when did you complete OBC). Does it depend on your unit/CO or is it more flexible.

I am an M4 and in my second year of NG duty (after 6 years of AD). I am with a medical battalion, and the commanders are very understanding of the fact my "job" for the guard is to become a doctor. As a result, any school duties have priority over drill and as long as I provide a letter from whichever department I am rotating under that I was working on any particular weekend, that is all I need for pay purposes. During a recent conversation with my commander, the expectations will not change for me as a resident (assuming I get to stay in the area).

About the Ads

dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Great advice guys!...I think that even in residency the weekend every quarter is not too bad...the only problem i see is managing the two weeks straight of summer drill...i suppose talking to a CO would be the best bet to seeing how flexible it is...any residents out there with any advice?

Last edited:

dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also, a stupid question, but what does drill for a physician usually entail?

iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
hiding from a code
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just a heads-up...the STRAP program is SUPPOSSED to exempt you from any drilling responsibilities, both monthly and annually. HOWEVER, this is in principle only and every units different...mine rocks.

dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
thats interesting i had not heard that, but i think thats a 2:1 committment correct? just curious how people who are residents who dont take the STRAP or are attendings manage the two weeks...

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
just curious how people who are residents who dont take the STRAP or are attendings manage the two weeks...
For residents, I'd be curious to hear this too. I'd suspect you should get ready to use vacation time provided by the residency program for drill.

For attendings, you'd just use two weeks vacation time, like everybody else. Some hospitals may let you use unpaid time off rather than vacation, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i suspect that this is probably the case, but i would like to hear a residents perspective as well

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Arkansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Great advice guys!...I think that even in residency the weekend every quarter is not too bad...the only problem i see is managing the two weeks straight of summer drill...i suppose talking to a CO would be the best bet to seeing how flexible it is...any residents out there with any advice?

It may be different in different states but the med dept in my state doesn't do a group annual training AT in the summer unless there is a reason to (like a unit is demobilizing). AT is something you have to plan and as I understand it can be anything from attending military training, CME, a review course, a medical mission, or just about anything you can justify that improves your skills as a doc and you can get approved. It doesn't have to be done all in one 2 week block.

dogpython

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've spoken to a few residency folks at my school and asked them their frank opinions. Several said, "Wow, that's great, what a service..." and lumped it up there as any other EC like student leadership. Almost all of them were uncomfortable with the idea of me having a firm commitment outside of residency that I was obligated to do (and one that would possibly conflict with their schedule).

Wondering if you learned any other useful tidbits from speaking with these people about their perspectives on national guard duty

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.