National Guard during med school w/ MDSSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone who has joined guard during medical could give their opinion on what it is like? I am interested since my state offers 100% tuition waiver. I would also take the MDSSP money so I can service existing student debt. I know many advise against this and I would like to hear what people think about this. Has anyone taken the MDSSP money? I'd really like to know if people recommend this guard option to help pay for school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to definitely avoid MDSSP.

Personally, I think it is a pretty rotten program from a benefits versus obligation standpoint.

You can take it for four years of medical school, getting $2000 per month. In exchange, you will need to drill for eight years post residency.

So basically, for the sake of $100k, you are looking at being required to serve in the military for 15 years (assuming a three-year residency). That is a ridiculously long commitment if you are unfamiliar with military service. Committing 15 years to something that you may not like and which will restrict your employment opportunities later is just bad juju. You also will be in eligible for special pay or loan repayment while you are paying back that drill obligation.

What about this alternative? Join the National Guard without any additional obligation. You will get free tuition in New Jersey apparently, and Max out on the loans that you can take out. Immediately after residency each year you stay in the guard will wipe out about $30,000 of those loans. You will wipe out your debt and be free of obligations for sooner doing it that way then with MDSSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, all of the above is assuming you have a legitimate primary interest in military service. There is nothing the National Guard offers in way of benefits that is enough to compensate for not legitimately want them to serve.

I have been in the guard passed my obligation requirements and I don't have any intention of resigning soon. I have enjoyed my service. But this would be a pretty rotten job if I didn't have that interest legitimately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk