National Guard...reality check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmyoooo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-med looking to join the National Guard. I want to run my thoughts by you guys here in the forum, and I'd like to know if I'm being naive about my career plans.

(To give you an idea of my timeline) I am currently applying to a master's in medical science program (special master's program) at BU and Tufts, and I hope to be enrolled in one of their programs by September (2011). It will take me two years to finish my master's. I intend to enroll in med school immediately following the completion of my master's (Fall 2013).

It looks as if joining the NG as a med-student would require a commitment of 1 year active drilling for every 6 months you receive benefits as a student. Personally, it's just too much time to commit to the NG following graduation.

What I'd like to know is if it would be a viable alternative to simply join the NG as an officer with my bachelor's in Physiology and Neuroscience. I am also certified as an Emergency Medical Technician - Basic. By the looks of it, I would be qualified to work in the Medical Service Corps as an administrator of sorts and that I would have to remain in the NG for 6 years...

The pay really doesn't matter too much to me at all, though it is certainly a perk and would help me be a little more financially independent from my parents... I am really only wanting to do this to be able to volunteer my skills to the country and gain some valuable life experiences. My main concern is whether or not I'd be doing anything of value and if this experience would interfere with my education.

To specify...
What type of job am I qualified for? I'm looking for job where I can actually practice my basic life support skills or gain clinical experience while I'm deployed or during my 1 weekend/ 2 week commitments. I would have absolutely no qualms about joining the NG if the work that I would be doing would be participating in humanitarian efforts or doing something worthwhile and/or clinically relevant to my interests in medicine.

Related to this is whether or not I would be able to volunteer myself for deployment over summer breaks...with the idea that I could lower the chances of being deployed during the school year (and thus compromising my education).

Members don't see this ad.

It looks as if joining the NG as a med-student would require a commitment of 1 year active drilling for every 6 months you receive benefits as a student. Personally, it's just too much time to commit to the NG following graduation.
Correct. The program (STRAP) is a 2:1 commitment.
What I'd like to know is if it would be a viable alternative to simply join the NG as an officer with my bachelor's in Physiology and Neuroscience. I am also certified as an Emergency Medical Technician - Basic. By the looks of it, I would be qualified to work in the Medical Service Corps as an administrator of sorts and that I would have to remain in the NG for 6 years...
Your EMT doesn't matter to the Guard. Your bachelor's does and makes you eligible for an MOS called 70B (Health Services Administrator). It's a non-clinical position in AMEDD.

The issue is whether or not your state has any demand for them. Many states are over-strength on 70B, as it's a somewhat popular career path. Aside from many non-clinical folks interested in working in heatlhcare, you also have clinical folks looking to gain experience in administration.

Any commissioning will result in an 8 year obligation, of which 6 years are in drilling status and 2 years are in IRR (google it... very little activity and very little chance of being activated given your role).
The pay really doesn't matter too much to me at all, though it is certainly a perk and would help me be a little more financially independent from my parents...
If the pay doesn't matter, you could consider holding off on commissioning until you are accepted to medical school and do so without taking STRAP. Your obligation payback would start on joining, but your only financial incentive would be drill pay and a $4,500/year tuition waiver (plus whatever bonuses your state offers).
I am really only wanting to do this to be able to volunteer my skills to the country and gain some valuable life experiences.
To be honest, little is of less value to the Army than a medical student. Doctors are very helpful, students? Not so much. As a 70B, you'd have a role to play, but it would not be clinical.

My main concern is whether or not I'd be doing anything of value and if this experience would interfere with my education.
If you join now as a 70B, you'll be sent to BOLC (RC) with special training for 70B. You'll learn basic skills the Army teaches all officers (how to fire an M16, how to call in a medevac, how to navigate with a compass, etc.). You'll also get some specialized training for your 70B MOS for medical administration.

Will it interfere with your education? Probably/slightly. Unless the SMPs are a much smaller beast than I'd heard, they tend to be pretty all-encompassing and work you pretty hard. Taking a minimum of one weekend out of your schedule every month (which weekend is determined by your unit, not you) can cause occasional issues. If you have drill immediately before a test, your unit will likely not care and nor will most professors (again, at the SMP level; might get better mileage with this at a regional college).

The bigger interference will be if you are deployed. You'll be in for at least two years, which is plenty of time for a deployment to come up. If you get called up as a 70B, you can be deployed for many months at a time not of your choosing. This can push out your graduation date by as much as two years if your departure and return comes in mid-semesters. I haven't heard of 70B's being non-deployable due to being in SMPs (med school, yes).
I'm looking for job where I can actually practice my basic life support skills or gain clinical experience while I'm deployed or during my 1 weekend/ 2 week commitments.
Clinical position as an officer are limited to advanced-level clinicians (physicians, PAs, nurses, and allied health folks). The enlisted side has EMT-level positions (68W being the main one that comes to mind), but not the officers. Without having any license/certification beyond EMT, you wouldn't qualify for a clinical position I can think of at the officer level.
Related to this is whether or not I would be able to volunteer myself for deployment over summer breaks...with the idea that I could lower the chances of being deployed during the school year (and thus compromising my education).
You might be underestimating the length of deployments. You'll hear folks around here mention 90 days Boots On Ground (which comes to a total of 120 days with pre/post-deployment activities thrown in). But that's only for physicians, dentists, and nurse anesthetists. PAs are limited to 180 day deployments. There is no policy limitation for 68W enlisted or 70B officers, but in the past they've deployed for upwards of a year at a time. Asking for a summer deployment as a 70B probably wouldn't work.

OP- At this point, far and away your best bet is to call 800-Go-Guard and ask for the contact information for your state AMEDD officer recruiter. They can give you guidance into what paths fit your goals, education, and state needs.