National guard without mdssp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted480308

Ms1 seriously looking at signing up for guard while in school. Not planning on mdssp or strap because I don't want a 8-12 year comittment after residency hanging over me.

It seems the standard enlistment is 8 with the last two being IRR...so I can take drill pay/gi bill/state TAP and then decided near the end of residency if it still works for me

Has anyone else done this? Have some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest thing is making sure you're joining as a medical student. That means a direct commission and no sort of MOS/AOC training. No OCS, no basic training, just BOLC.

The other thing I recommend is finding what unit they plan to have you assigned to and talking to the leadership there before signing. You need to find out their expectations. Some places will barely expect you to show up and others will won't you there no matter what. Personally, I think the ideal is in the middle where you have a role in the unit but they understand that medical training is the priority and you won't make it to every day. Be wary of being assigned to a non-medical unit, you need physicians around you who understand medical training and will advocate for you when school and the Guard conflict.

The pay and benefits are much less than the AD options but it's a great way to test out the military thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Biggest thing is making sure you're joining as a medical student. That means a direct commission and no sort of MOS/AOC training. No OCS, no basic training, just BOLC.

The other thing I recommend is finding what unit they plan to have you assigned to and talking to the leadership there before signing. You need to find out their expectations. Some places will barely expect you to show up and others will won't you there no matter what. Personally, I think the ideal is in the middle where you have a role in the unit but they understand that medical training is the priority and you won't make it to every day. Be wary of being assigned to a non-medical unit, you need physicians around you who understand medical training and will advocate for you when school and the Guard conflict.

The pay and benefits are much less than the AD options but it's a great way to test out the military thing.

that's a good idea, is that a pretty normal request to make?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about doing this to help provide Tricare for my family. However, I already served eight years on active duty in a non-medical branch and I would prefer to not be tasked with the duties befitting my experience while in medical school. Is this even realistic?

I was thinking about doing this to help provide Tricare for my family. However, I already served eight years on active duty in a non-medical branch and I would prefer to not be tasked with the duties befitting my experience while in medical school. Is this even realistic?
If i had 8 years active already, I'd look into the navy hscp.....your time in school counts for retirement so you'll more than hit 20 by the time you pay off your obligation

If i had 8 years active already, I'd look into the navy hscp.....your time in school counts for retirement so you'll more than hit 20 by the time you pay off your obligation

How does residency work with this program? Am I still able to do a civilian residency? Would I be a reservist or active duty in the Navy?

Also, would I be required to cheer for Navy every December? That would be a deal breaker.

How does residency work with this program? Am I still able to do a civilian residency? Would I be a reservist or active duty in the Navy?

Also, would I be required to cheer for Navy every December? That would be a deal breaker.
That navy program is active so you do a military resodency, the army guard program has you do civilian residency

Were you able to join the Guard as a medical student without taking MDSSP?

Interesting. I've had conversations with both NG and AR recruiters (and even a CO of a recruiting Company) and they all said no, I have to sign for the stipend if I want the Med student AOC.

Interesting. I've had conversations with both NG and AR recruiters (and even a CO of a recruiting Company) and they all said no, I have to sign for the stipend if I want the Med student AOC.
Nope, tell them you want to see the regulations stating so

Are you currently in the AR/NG as a med student w/o the stipend?
Yes, in the ARNG with 6 years prior service enlisted experience. We have about 6-7 med students in my state (all of us have the 00E67 AOC which is the med student status) and none of us took out MDSSP. It is your choice to take the stipend. If you've never been in the military before you're required to start with an 8 year contract with the last two being IRR.

how has your experience been with flex drill, adt, overall?
It's likely unit dependent but our unit commander has been really flexible with letting us take a month off when we want. And if one of us has a test coming that weekend but is drilling the rest of us pretty much cover for them so they can study all weekend.

My unit has not required ADT out of us but remember to get 50 pts or your year doesn't count for retirement.

And if you haven't swon in yet, be aware the rule is finishing BOLC within 3 yrs and they just added to it....3 wks at ft still, 80hrs online, then 4 wks in san antonio

Last edited by a moderator:
how has your experience been with flex drill, adt, overall?
I agree with sb247 about the flexibility. I typically drill every 3 or 4 months (of course, have to have a passing PT test, height/weight, medical, etc.). You get 15 points just for being in and each drill counts for 4 MUTA (points). We fill out a document each month we can't make it to drill stating we're studying or testing and this replaces drill for that month, thus, that month counts for 4 points. However, not all states are going to be this flexible. If your state has a whole bunch of nurses without any physicians in your chain of command they likely won't understand what it takes to pass medical school so they may not be as flexible with missing drill. My unit wants me to do ADT with them but if I can give them a good reason as to why I can't then I'm okay without going. Some of the reasons in the past have been medical mission trips with the school that improve clinical competency, summer classes, and research. Also, I was speaking with my State Surgeon last month about that BOLC in 3 years rule and he stated that it's a hard rule for non-medical officers but not for med students since we literally CAN'T just skip school for an intro to the military gentleman's course outside of the summer between M1-M2.

I agree with sb247 about the flexibility. I typically drill every 3 or 4 months (of course, have to have a passing PT test, height/weight, medical, etc.). You get 15 points just for being in and each drill counts for 4 MUTA (points). We fill out a document each month we can't make it to drill stating we're studying or testing and this replaces drill for that month, thus, that month counts for 4 points. However, not all states are going to be this flexible. If your state has a whole bunch of nurses without any physicians in your chain of command they likely won't understand what it takes to pass medical school so they may not be as flexible with missing drill. My unit wants me to do ADT with them but if I can give them a good reason as to why I can't then I'm okay without going. Some of the reasons in the past have been medical mission trips with the school that improve clinical competency, summer classes, and research. Also, I was speaking with my State Surgeon last month about that BOLC in 3 years rule and he stated that it's a hard rule for non-medical officers but not for med students since we literally CAN'T just skip school for an intro to the military gentleman's course outside of the summer between M1-M2.
Yeah, in my state, we can miss drill but we don't get points or paid if we do.

And while I doubt the army's resolve to boot med students for missing the 3 year rule...at amedd bolc they were absolutely claiming they would do that while announcing the additional 3 wk req...I discussed it personally with full cols there and they said the students would just have to figure it out. Again, I question the follow through but the "threat" was 100% aimed at us med students too

I would only recommend HPSP to people 1) going to an expensive school and who are 100% set on a being primary care physician, 2) with enough prior service where post HPSP will allow them to retire, or 3) just 100% want to try the full-time military thing. If your desire is simply to be a physician who serves, the NG/RC route is the way to go. The NG/RC allows you to live where you want, work where you want, and generally is the economically superior option. Your family can finally settle down somewhere after residency, you can choose to work somewhere that continues to refine your skills, you can vacation when you want instead of requesting it, etc.