National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G Costanza

Psychologist - Private Practice
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has joined the national guard after licensure. I'm getting bored on the weekends and this seems like a good fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's my understanding the guard is usually the last to be deployed overseas. And deployments are usually only 3 months or less. My interest in the guard over other branches is for that very reason.

They are also having a lot of trouble meeting recruiting targets. After we enter into a war with North Korea and probably some of our former allies when our Tantrum in Chief loses it, the Guard will be an attractive option for the military to mobilize.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the link. I do think we are on the cusp of war. And if we look back at the last sixty years, that's almost always true.

It's still surreal that Donald Trump is our president. He is is one of many reasons I'm thinking about joining. Vets are going to be screwed under his regime and I want them to receive good care anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the link. I do think we are on the cusp of war. And if we look back at the last sixty years, that's almost always true.

It's still surreal that Donald Trump is our president. He is is one of many reasons I'm thinking about joining. Vets are going to be screwed under his regime and I want them to receive good care anyway.

Well, if half of the rumors about changes to the VA are true, I'm just early in the mass exodus of the VA system. So, I'd worry more about the healthcare they receive after active duty than before. And, if you want to make real change to their QOL run for Congress and do something about the SC system.

Well it's my understanding the guard is usually the last to be deployed overseas. And deployments are usually only 3 months or less. My interest in the guard over other branches is for that very reason.

Deployments are not restricted to overeseas. You can be deployed to such awesome places as Oklahoma to fill a gap.

Deployments are not restricted to overeseas. You can be deployed to such awesome places as Oklahoma to fill a gap.

Yeah and I'm totally fine with that. I'm assuming it would be much more likely to be deployed within the US which is part of the mission of the NG.

Does anyone have a friend who has done it? I'm really curious about the type of work...therapy vs assessment etc.

@G Costanza - I commend you...even if you don't join, then your thought process.

Agreed - Veterans are getting screwed by new administration's lack of a 'moral compass' and greed. Protection of women's health is also failing (we're certainly not "winning"). And the role of federal government in education. And proposed defunding and executive orders regarding setbacks for Environmental Protections saddens me daily (Man, I could go on and on and on..but won't.):smack:

Whatever your decision, best of luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a friend who has done it? I'm really curious about the type of work...therapy vs assessment etc.

I spoke with a few neuropsychs who were in active branches (Navy and Army) about working as a neuropsych in the service. Totally killed my interest in it. If you have any problem whatsoever with healthcare system hierarchy and bureaucracy, times that by about 100 and you'll have an idea of what you're in for. Their report of being overruled in healthcare decisions for their patients by someone who had much less training, but a higher rank, was more than enough for me to look elsewhere.

That seems pretty frustrating. I've heard similar things from my friends who served. I have to believe that it wouldn't be as intolerable if you're only doing it one weekend a month though.

Sometimes you just need a new adventure.

That seems pretty frustrating. I've heard similar things from my friends who served. I have to believe that it wouldn't be as intolerable if you're only doing it one weekend a month though.

Sometimes you just need a new adventure.
When I feel the need for adventure, I hop on the NYC "A" train. That usually takes care of it.

Well, if half of the rumors about changes to the VA are true, I'm just early in the mass exodus of the VA system. So, I'd worry more about the healthcare they receive after active duty than before. And, if you want to make real change to their QOL run for Congress and do something about the SC system.

I'm curious, what changes are you referring to?

I'm a guard psychologist. It's a pretty nice gig. Right now you can earn about $1k/mo for drill, $3k for annual training, $25k/ year lump sum bonus for 3 years, followed by $25k/year student loan repayment (again for 3 years). As far as deployment goes, it's not bad as a psychologist (however, I'm prior service and didn't think it was that bad as a combat arms officer either, so opinions will vary). Regardless, I've heard nothing about any potential deployments on my horizon. You can DM me with any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious, what changes are you referring to?

Changes to the pension system (employees paying a lot more into it), increased productivity demands, cluster**** as they try to get a new version of Choice rolled out, etc, etc. No idea what will be implemented and what won't, but I am not optimistic that professionals in the VA will gain any ground. The are an easy target, a nice symbol of "Big Gubmint" and an easy way for the current administration to make some cost cutting moves to trot out some misleading statistics to push some faux agenda. Things got worse for providers in the VA under a liberal administration, expect that change for the worse to intensify in the current climate. I'll take my significant pay raise, better benefits, and hopefully higher job satisfaction at my new job.

Changes to the pension system (employees paying a lot more into it), increased productivity demands, cluster**** as they try to get a new version of Choice rolled out, etc, etc. No idea what will be implemented and what won't, but I am not optimistic that professionals in the VA will gain any ground. The are an easy target, a nice symbol of "Big Gubmint" and an easy way for the current administration to make some cost cutting moves to trot out some misleading statistics to push some faux agenda. Things got worse for providers in the VA under a liberal administration, expect that change for the worse to intensify in the current climate. I'll take my significant pay raise, better benefits, and hopefully higher job satisfaction at my new job.

Thanks WisNeuro, I appreciate the detailed response!

Where are you working now?