National Health Corps: How was your experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nico0313

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

Rising sophomore here. I've decided to take a gap year starting this fall given that my school will be conducting online classes and I don't think it's a good use of my time and resources. I applied to a couple of the National Health Corps programs in hopes of it being my gap year experience. For context, I'm really interested in public health (MD/MPH maybe? who knows) and issues of health equity.

I would love to hear your experiences! While I'm gunning for the San Francisco branch, any program experience is welcome! If you've applied to medical schools, how has it been received by interviewers? Any tips on how to get the most out of a term would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I did NHC a couple of years back and it was an incredible experience! It gave me such a great public health foundation. There are such great learning opportunities, and at the same time it is very satisfying to be serving in communities that especially need additional support. I did not apply to med school, but a lot of the people in my cohort did and got accepted to really great schools. It will give you great things to talk about in your application and interviews for sure, but definitely don't do it if that's your main objective! There are definitely difficult things about it like living off of a stipend, and working in under-served populations. I wouldn't trade my experience for the world, but also I don't think I could do it again!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all!

Rising sophomore here. I've decided to take a gap year starting this fall given that my school will be conducting online classes and I don't think it's a good use of my time and resources. I applied to a couple of the National Health Corps programs in hopes of it being my gap year experience. For context, I'm really interested in public health (MD/MPH maybe? who knows) and issues of health equity.

I would love to hear your experiences! While I'm gunning for the San Francisco branch, any program experience is welcome! If you've applied to medical schools, how has it been received by interviewers? Any tips on how to get the most out of a term would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !

I am not familar with NHC, but I hope you get it because this is the most thoughtful use of time I have seen from an undergrad during the pandemic! I hope you have a meaningful experience that brings you closer to your ideal life path :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am not familar with NHC, but I hope you get it because this is the most thoughtful use of time I have seen from an undergrad during the pandemic! I hope you have a meaningful experience that brings you closer to your ideal life path :)
Very kind comment. I appreciate it :)