SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

national health service commitment

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by jimjones, Jul 5, 2001.

1. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Has anyone gone about getting on the program? Where it pays for your education and you commit to working in an underserved area for 4 years?
    What i want to know is how hard it is to get (is it competetive and what is the selection criteria) and how many options is there for location- are there areas in every state?
    thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Fort Worth
    I looked into the program and found out some interesting things. It is available all over the US. However funds run out early each year which is applied to the "most" needy areas---typically Urban inner city. The list of people in the program and who want to sign up is staggering. They don't all get funds to repay their education because there is such little resource available. On top of that, Pres. Bush has just cut funding to that program and similiar health programs.

In Texas, towns can apply for federal aid that lack adequate physicians. This program matches physicians to those towns requesting help. Sometimes the town pays 50/50 with the Government to pay back your loan. This will probably be your best bet. Check with your state's health department for more information. Many times, the program is limited to those physicians who seek to specialize in family practice. Good Luck.

4. wren1976

wren1976 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Canton, MI USA
    I went for an interview for the scholarship and was told this past year there were between 2-3,000 applicants and about 800 interviews were given. There are around 300 scholarships available, of which a fixed percentage has to go to PA, LPN, etc.

There is also the loan repayment program, and I know there is a whole thread about this stuff under NHSC scholarship or something like that. Popoy's thread.

5. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Thanks, I've been reading over some old threads. But does anybody know how they select people to interview from the applicant pool?

6. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Michigan
    The selection process for the interview is based on your responses to the application. In the application there are questions regarding your leadership, ability to work in a team, your desire to work with NHSC, etc.... You bubble your answers to the best of your ability.

NHSC then takes there answers and numerically judges whether or not you qualify for an interview

Hope that help a bit.... If you want to see specific questions regarding NHSC please let me know and I'll post some of it up.... There's many, but I'll post up the interesting ones if you'd like...

7. flipper

flipper Member 10+ Year Member

Hey Grahmcracker -

I'm from Texas and was wondering if you have spoken with anyone in the state health department? Is there a websight with info on the program you were talking about?

Thanks,

Eric J
    UHS2004

8. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Hello Eric J,

I spoke with a guy at one of our health fairs at UT austin that represented the National Health Service Corp at the state level for Texas. He was trying to recruit people and reluctantly admitted that there really weren't enough funds. But he told me about two websites to get more information. The first one is for the Federally funded program: http://bphc.hrsa.gov/nhsc and the second one was specific to Texas for the state/town 50 split. It is http://www.crhi.state.tx.us/programs/Texprairdoc.html It is the Center for Rural Health Initiatives.

If you go to http://bphc.hrsa.gov/nhsc/main/new_home.htm
    then you can search for opportunities in Texas by clicking on "Search Air" then filling out what specialty and stuff and hitting search. The most opportunities seem to be in Family medicine.

I hope that helps. I know I'm going to need to pay off my debt ASAP after school so I have been researching everywhere. I have a husband who wants to return to college (electrical engineering) as soon as I'm done and I also have a child who will probably be attending with him. So I'm in for a lifetime of loans.

Another option for debt relief is military reserves. But I want to try everything else first. Good luck. Let me know if the sites are incorrect.

9. apple638

apple638 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Metairie, La
    where exactly are the old threads about the NHSC scholarship program?

If there are any people on this network that received this scholarship, can you let me know exactly when you were notified of the award?

I'm biting my nails...hoping I don't get my letter in July because from my understanding, they send out rejection letters in July.

Popoy give me some info on this please.

10. wren1976

wren1976 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Canton, MI USA
    This is the one of the threads, but if you just click on search, chose one of the forums (everyone, osteopathic, allopathic, etc), type in NHSC or national heatlh service corps, you're bound to come up with something.
    NHSC dated January 2001