1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

National Health Service Corps Scholarships

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wistarrat, Nov 18, 2005.

1. wistarrat

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are there any other pre-allopaths thinking about applying for the NHSC scholarship prior to matriculation? There's so much information regarding this scholarship in the archives, but I was hoping to build a current SDN support group.

My main worry is the possibility of not having an acceptance in hand prior to the march deadline. :scared:

Also, I'm sure most of us will have taken out loans prior to the November notification. sigh. We, allopaths, seem to be at a disadvantage for receiving this: the 300-something scholarships go to mostly DOs, but also dentists, family nurse practitioners, and midwives.

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

Anyone else out there wondering about this scholarship and/or have any insightful info?

2. titoincali

titoincali SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm most likely going to apply. I called them a month ago asking when the applications would be sent out and they said "soon". Not very helpful. I think the notifications come out in August or Sept., you just get the money in Nov.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was very interested in this scholarship but really can't adhere to the location requirements due to family. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am applying. What are the location requirements. I noticed many places in Chicago, Denver and other major cities. Was I missing something?

5. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I called and asked them about this. Although there are several places all over the country, you cannot choose a location. So, it's possible you could be placed somewhere you have no interest in. I tried to find out how frequently this happens but couldn't get a straight answer. It seems you can ask for a certain area but there are no guarantees.

This just wouldn't work for me as I will need to stay in or near Cleveland 'til my husband gets tenure.