National Health Service Corps ????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by chrsburr, Jan 19, 2001.

1. chrsburr

chrsburr Member

I was wondering what are the pros and cons of this program? Also if you get accepted to the program and then decide not to take it can you decline the acceptance? Looking for any comments on the National Health Service Corps Scholarship. Any comments appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. richierich

richierich Senior Member

I am currently applying to the scholarship and my interpertations of the pros and cons are:

Pros:
    1) you get tution, books, fees, stipend, and other reasonalbe fees.
    2) reduces the amount of debt you have in the end.
    3) if you have already decided in primary care, you will get experience to market yourself with. In other words, you will have a job when you graduate.
    4) the pay is competitive in the clinics.
    5) you are only required to work at least 32 hours, leaving time to moonlight. (this may not be true in a private practice)

cons:
    1) you have to be sure that you will want to do primary care.
    2) you must be flexible enough to practice where needed.
    3) if you decide that this is not what you want you must be prepared to pay 3X the value of the scholarship.
    4) currently the entire scholarship is taxable and does count against your finacial aid budget

Yes, you can decline the acceptance. In fact, they create a wait list just for this instance.

I hope I have helped.

Richard
    USF co 2004

4. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

You have two weeks after notification to decline the scholarship in writing. If they hear nothing, you have accepted the scholarship and entered into a contract with them.