National register hsp list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCParent

Board-certified psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else on that list? The intellectual level is shocking. I just had a post rejected because I criticized someone’s advice to use hypnosis to treat panic and a specific phobia. Earlier this week there was a request for a referral to a vegan identified therapist. No reference to presenting concern or approach preference, just vegan. WTH

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Most psychologists show a similar brand of intellectual rigor.

A colleague of mine had an ABPP clinical sample rejected because in CBT "exposure retraumatized the patient".

Reactions: 1 user
Most psychologists show a similar brand of intellectual rigor.

A colleague of mine had an ABPP clinical sample rejected because in CBT "exposure retraumatized the patient".
This is what happens when people separate the science from the practice. People claim to be good science consumers and that they apply it to their practice without rigorous science training and research experience, but more often than not it seems that they just selectively use research to support their a priori beliefs, preferences, biases, etc. I'm really sick of people just saying "look into research on the dodo bird effect" to justify doing whatever they want in clinical practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Never been on that list - and now never will.

I can also say that the APA early career listserv offers a bleak view of the profession.

This is what happens when people separate the science from the practice. People claim to be good science consumers and that they apply it to their practice without rigorous science training and research experience, but more often than not it seems that they just selectively use research to support their a priori beliefs, preferences, biases, etc. I'm really sick of people just saying "look into research on the dodo bird effect" to justify doing whatever they want in clinical practice.

Do you how a causation analysis is done? Hint: I've seen less than 5 psychologists ever get it right.

is anyone else on that list? The intellectual level is shocking. I just had a post rejected because I criticized someone’s advice to use hypnosis to treat panic and a specific phobia. Earlier this week there was a request for a referral to a vegan identified therapist. No reference to presenting concern or approach preference, just vegan. WTH
Both of these made my day in the sense that they made me cry a little.

I am on it. I rarely read the emails but you have piqued my curiosity.

Yeah, I can see that the lack of presenting concern/approach preference was a problem, but to be fair, the client requested a vegan therapist. I guess I would try to find a patient a vegan therapist if that was the only way that they would do a needed treatment... but I would probably try to find one that could address the clinical question.
I'm pretty sure I saw your response, how was it rejected? It was in the thread.

Yeah, I can see that the lack of presenting concern/approach preference was a problem, but to be fair, the client requested a vegan therapist. I guess I would try to find a patient a vegan therapist if that was the only way that they would do a needed treatment... but I would probably try to find one that could address the clinical question.
I'm pretty sure I saw your response, how was it rejected? It was in the thread.
But wouldn't you also say what the presenting concern is? i.e., "someone who can treat PTSD, and the client really wants a vegan." That would be fine. My problem was with a dietary practice being the sole criterion.

My second response was not allowed by the moderator. He insisted I give citations for my assertion that CBT and exposure are the treatments of choice and that other approaches are so lacking in empirical support that they reflect poor clinical practice. I replied that the original poster was not asked to present their "clinical evidence" that hypnosis is better than CBT.

Before I unsubscribed, someone replied that a panic attack on a NY subway is a reasonable reaction to living in New York and maybe not pathological. So, literally Why I Do Not Attend Case Conferences right there.

Reactions: 3 users
But wouldn't you also say what the presenting concern is? i.e., "someone who can treat PTSD, and the client really wants a vegan." That would be fine. My problem was with a dietary practice being the sole criterion.

My second response was not allowed by the moderator. He insisted I give citations for my assertion that CBT and exposure are the treatments of choice and that other approaches are so lacking in empirical support that they reflect poor clinical practice. I replied that the original poster was not asked to present their "clinical evidence" that hypnosis is better than CBT.

Before I unsubscribed, someone replied that a panic attack on a NY subway is a reasonable reaction to living in New York and maybe not pathological. So, literally Why I Do Not Attend Case Conferences right there.
Instead of EULAs, psychology listservs, fora, etc. should require users to read Meehl's writings about case conferences and actuarial/statistical prediction vs. clinical intuition.

ha ha nope, everyone knows Vegan Psychologists are the best at treating and assessing everything!

Last edited by a moderator: