National SAEM meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrubbs

Chisellers beware!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you...

I have the opportunity to go to SAEM this year with my medical school EM department, after graduation, to present a poster. I worked on the project, but really didn't do all that much.

Thing is, I'm supposed to move that weekend. I can't do it the weekend before b/c of graduation, and if I wait until after the conference, I won't have a lot of time before residency starts to get settled. Also, my lease is up the end of May, so I'd need to pay extra to extend my lease.

Do you guys think its really worth my going to the conference?? Anyone been to the national meeting in the past??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Scrubs,

To answer your question...presenting would probably be good practice but you'll have plenty of other opportunities to go thoroughout residency. There is a lot to do between medical school and residency there's no use stressing out to try and make it to Boston this year.

But the real reason I responded to your question is because your avatar is Monique from Sinfest.net!!!!

Hey Scrubbs,

I agree with tonem, it sounds like you are pretty busy up until residency starts and this could be a bigger stress. If you aren't totally ready to go (all moved in etc) it would probably be in your sanity's best interest to relax.

That being said, national conferences are great (both SAEM and ACEP's) and are worth getting to as often as possible. There is something there for everyone, from the medical student to resident to veteran attending. Both SAEM and ACEP being in Boston this year should be fun, that town is GREAT!

I'll be in SAEM in Boston if you do go, they have a cool medical student symposium planned.

Members don't see this ad :)
With all you have going on, it doesn't seem to be a good idea....especially since you are starting your residency soon, etc. You can always go next year I guess.......

The rest of this post is for any medical students interested in EM that may be checking out this forum:

You should do what you can to go to the SAEM meeting, and especially the Medical Student Symposium. I won't be going this year as I'm taking Boards 3 days later, but I went to the one last year in St. Louis, MO. It was outstanding...you'll hear some great information on EM and it will help you decide if you are really interested in it....

You also get to have lunch with program directors from different residency programs.....HOW OFTEN DO YOU GET A CHANCE TO DO THAT???? They provide great insight and feedback about their program or about applying/getting accepted to programs in general.

At the end of the day there will be a residency forum where programs will have booths set up and you get to talk to residents about their program, etc.

I really wish I could go....and I might try to go next year....Hopefully it'll be closer to home...

Good Luck!

Can you guys give me the information on when and who to contact in order to go to these meetings this year, and will the school pay for it?

Thanks
Pegasus

Your school MAY pay for it...check through your student affairs or activities office. Our school gives student organizations a capped stipend to attend National Conferences of their respective specialties.

If you do go...make sure you go to the EMRA social. EM Residents' Association is not JUST for residents. You'll get to socialize and schmooze with PDs and residents in a laid back, free-alcohol environment! Enjoy!

The SAEM meeting's medical student symposium is worth its weight in gold. If you are interested in EM, you should attend by all means. PDs and pannelists give great advice as to what they are looking for, how to get the residency of your choice, etc. Seats are limited but you can sign up on the web ($75). (Check the SAEM site). Afterward the formal talks, you can visit (i.e. network) with representatives of EM residency programs from all over the country. I attended the meeting in Philly a couple of years ago by chance and was very impressed. I bought a ticket for this year but probably won't be attending due to a change in residency plans.