National Society of Collegiate Scholars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilleAngyl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently recieved a letter inviting me to join this organization. I was just wondering if it was worth the $60 membership fee to join? Has anyone out there had any experiences with this organization and would it carry any weight if listed on a med school app? Or is it just a waste of money?

Members don't see this ad.

they send endless email messangers to members

Originally posted by movingonup
they send endless email messangers to members

I second that.

Also, I don't know how much weight they carry on an app, but I do know that although I am in the organization, they dont do much on my campus. But, I listed them on my EC's. The more, the merrier

Members don't see this ad :)
it's meaningless. Get involved in original things that will set you a part form the rest of the apps. Any student with a good GPA can become a member of things like Gold Key. Do research, volunteer, excel at a sport, anything that shows your personality

The envelope and everything that they sent to me was pretty and made me _feel_ important, but all in all, I regret sending the $. Other opportunities I have engaged in have been far more valuable.

Thanks for the responses guys! Yea I dont really think it is gonna be worth $60 then.

Yeah, I regret wasting my money joining NSCS, so I didn't throw down money for Golden Key either.

If anything, hold out for Phi Beta Kappa. It's the only society that holds any kind of credence.

Back when I was a freshman, I was invited to join, but threw the envelope away because there is no real credence to the organization, and I don't think its worth the money.

My brother said the same thing when he was invited to become a part of it.

I think I can volunteer and do important things without the organization.

Also there are other honor societies if you want them.

However, I second the notion posted by LP1CW.

As LP1CW said, anyone with a good GPA can get into honor societies as long as they pay their dues. It is much wiser to do things that set you apart.

For instance, don't think that being a club president is going to carry more weight than a person who spent several hours volunteering and actually gaining good patient experiences.

But at the same time, don't think if you volunteer x hours of volunteer service that makes you better than the person that had to work to pay their bills but didn't get time do much volunteer work, and so forth.

Everyone has their good and bad qualities, but ultimately its what makes you different from the rest of the applicants that sets you apart.