naturopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Hello,
what is your opinion of naturopathic medicine? I think there are only 3 accredited schools in the U.S. (Bastyr, National, and one other one)
I was considering this at one time but figured if I wanted to work internationally as a physician, it would be better to have an M.D. degree, which is probably more recognized in other countries.
Also, does anyone know if you start off at a foreign school if you can transfer to a naturopathic school? This could be a good option for those wanting to get back into the U.S. (that is, if they believe in naturopathy)
thanks,
PB

Members don't see this ad.

N.D's sound like modern quack medicine. Similar to D.O's when they first started ages ago. I was looking into one of their schools just does not seem like a good area for me. However, N.D's problaby do ok seeing that alot of people have a distrust of M.D's nad D.O's (mainstream medicine). I to am interested in international health but N.D schools I would stay away from.

------------------
There is more joy in giving then there is in recieving.

Actually, the degree is NMD (which I feel is purposefully misleading to patients..too close to MD.) I can tell you that I worked at a hospital that employed MD's, DO's, and one NMD. The NMD was the butt of many behind closed-doors jokes, and no one took him very seriously. Personally he was a really nice guy, and I liked him a lot. I don't really have an opinion of naturopathic medicine, but that is how the hospital I was at reacted to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naturopathy is BARELY a recognized form of practice in the US let alone the rest of the world. It's a very loosely-based profession that's been around a long time with little to no growth. I'd stay away from them.

Tim of New York City.

Yeah i'd stay away.