Naval Operational Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have read a lot on operational medicine in the army SF but not much in regard to the navy.

What are the opportunities to work in the Naval special warfare community as a physician. What does the job consist of? How hard is it to get a billet? Does one see combat, or is it mainly a supportive role?

Any info would be great, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I have read a lot on operational medicine in the army SF but not much in regard to the navy.

What are the opportunities to work in the Naval special warfare community as a physician. What does the job consist of? How hard is it to get a billet? Does one see combat, or is it mainly a supportive role?

Any info would be great, thanks

There are several docs working in the Special Warfare community. They are typically Undersea/Dive Medical Officers doing GMO type work. Not overly hard to get the billet once you finish UMO school, but it depends on how many want the spot when you do. You do not complete Basic Underwater Demolition School (BUDS). Doctors are not combatants, but that does not mean we don't see combat. We are not supposed to kick in doors and such.

Our job is to keep them healthy and patch them up when they get injured, not jump out of perfectly good airplanes and crawl through mud.

Thanks, great info.

Besides becoming a DMO, is there any other specialized training? I realize you are not kicking in doors, and are in a supportive role. The doctor who is running and gunning is an exception, if not a myth. But what I would really like to know is what makes the job different from a general naval GMO tour.

The reason I am asking is I'm contemplating enlisting while my body can still handle something akin to BUDS. I've been interviewing at medical schools, and have realized that I will be far too old and probably tied down to handle anything like BUDS/or Q course. If there is anyone who has done both, and has a good perspective, please lend some advice.