NAVLE after COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roseyposey112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my 4th year of veterinary school, and I am worried about the NAVLE. My school has a 99% pass rate under normal circumstances, but my 3rd year courses were all open book and take home, so I don't feel like I really learned much of the information. If I just complete VetPrep and my clinical rotations, do you think I will still pass? How important is that last year of coursework - when you learn all the diseases but it is kind of just thrown at you to be relearned on clinics?

Members don't see this ad.

If I just complete VetPrep and my clinical rotations, do you think I will still pass?
This is virtually how all vet students approach NAVLE. Get one of the study services and get through the start of clinics.
How important is that last year of coursework - when you learn all the diseases but it is kind of just thrown at you to be relearned on clinics?
The "real" answer is that all the years are important. The true answer is that you learn more in clinics than all didactics combined. And remember, not every school has the same curriculum. Some schools teach my schools third year stuff first semester of first year.

This is virtually how all vet students approach NAVLE. Get one of the study services and get through the start of clinics.

The "real" answer is that all the years are important. The true answer is that you learn more in clinics than all didactics combined. And remember, not every school has the same curriculum. Some schools teach my schools third year stuff first semester of first year.
So you're saying, I'll most likely be fine in passing the NAVLE with having a less than adequate 3rd year?

So you're saying, I'll most likely be fine in passing the NAVLE with having a less than adequate 3rd year?
Yes; doing the prep programs will help and if you run into things you struggle with you can always go to the reference books and notes from third year. The prep programs do have premium versions that have additional study resources; if they look like they will match your learning style you can always go for those for some extra peace of mind.

I passed NAVLE fine with having 4 months of online clinics. I'm also bottom 25% of my class.

I personally wish I had simply used the ICVA disease list and studied off of that than spend the money on a study program.