Navy Navy 3rd year FM rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FermiParadox42

Terminal GMO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very much leaning towards Navy EM, but still have a slight interest in FM.

I had planned on using my 3rd and 4th ADTs to do an EM rotation in Portsmouth and San Diego. I can easily do my first one in June or July of my 4th year.

I know a lot of students then do their last ADT right after the Fiscal year starts in OCT so they can get in an interview before applications for PGY-1 close. But due to 4th year requirements for my med school I won't be able to do another Military Rotation until after Thanksgiving.

So, since I likely wouldn't be able to do another Navy EM rotation until essentially when (or after) the GME board meets, I am thinking about using that ADT to do a Family Med rotation during 3rd year. It would give me an opportunity to look into Navy FM - plus it gets me out of doing my schools FM rotation, which I've heard not so good things about.

-Is this a reasonable plan -- or should I try to get that second EM rotation in?

Members don't see this ad.

I am very much leaning towards Navy EM, but still have a slight interest in FM.

I had planned on using my 3rd and 4th ADTs to do an EM rotation in Portsmouth and San Diego. I can easily do my first one in June or July of my 4th year.

I know a lot of students then do their last ADT right after the Fiscal year starts in OCT so they can get in an interview before applications for PGY-1 close. But due to 4th year requirements for my med school I won't be able to do another Military Rotation until after Thanksgiving.

So, since I likely wouldn't be able to do another Navy EM rotation until essentially when (or after) the GME board meets, I am thinking about using that ADT to do a Family Med rotation during 3rd year. It would give me an opportunity to look into Navy FM - plus it gets me out of doing my schools FM rotation, which I've heard not so good things about.

-Is this a reasonable plan -- or should I try to get that second EM rotation in?

IF you use your 3rd ADT during 3rd year for FM and you can't do your 4th year ADT until after thanksgiving of 4th year (which is after residency selections have been submitted) when will you be doing an EM rotation?

I think a better plan would be use your 3rd ADT on EM in the summer of 4th year and then use the 4th ADT later after thanksgiving for exploration of an interesting subspecialty as it would be too late to use it as an audition rotation.

You can still replace your school core FM rotation with a nonADT rotation in Navy FM. I know Fort Belvoir and Camp Lejeune allow 3rd years to do this. Downside is that cost will all come out of your pocketbook.

IF you use your 3rd ADT during 3rd year for FM and you can't do your 4th year ADT until after thanksgiving of 4th year (which is after residency selections have been submitted) when will you be doing an EM rotation?

I think a better plan would be use your 3rd ADT on EM in the summer of 4th year and then use the 4th ADT later after thanksgiving for exploration of an interesting subspecialty as it would be too late to use it as an audition rotation.

You can still replace your school core FM rotation with a nonADT rotation in Navy FM. I know Fort Belvoir and Camp Lejeune allow 3rd years to do this. Downside is that cost will all come out of your pocketbook.

Thanks for the reply! So, the 3rd year FM rotation would be in AUG in 3rd year, before 1 OCT - meaning they would be different fiscal years, so I could still do FM 3rd year and EM 4th year.

I'm also thinking if I do this out at Camp Pendleton, I could drive down to San Diego for a day or two an see the ED there. I know doing it so early in third year isn't exactly ideal, but with the way the fiscal years, and my school schedule line up, it might be the best way for me to see both EDs before GME apps are due without having to pay anything out of pocket.

I'm still open to other ideas. I do like the idea of saving that last ADT to do something fun late in 4th year -- maybe looking into Flight Surgery or something. And I think I could probably find free housing with some friends near Ft. Belvoir, that ideas not too shabby.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you looking to accomplish with a visit early in 3rd year? If it's fact finding for you, maybe you'd get something from it. If you want them to know you, it's pointless and maybe even harmful (you won't be ready to impress).

What are you looking to accomplish with a visit early in 3rd year? If it's fact finding for you, maybe you'd get something from it. If you want them to know you, it's pointless and maybe even harmful (you won't be ready to impress).

A fair point.

I understand that early in my 3rd year it wouldn't be a good idea to try and impress anyone, and would be there for the educational experience, and to get a sense for what it's like to live in the San Diego/Camp Pendleton area.

Life would surely be easier if we could take both ADTs during audition season - but since that's not possible, I'm just trying to find the best use for that extra rotation.