Navy Corpsman/Medical Lab Technician(ASCP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MW1N5D4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently serving in US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and as well as Med Lab Tech(ASCP). My current sGPA is 3.63 and cGPA is 3.47. Still 11 more courses to finish for my BS and to meet the prerequisites. Hopefully, finish BS by the end of this year and finish all other courses by Spring 2015. I haven't take MCAT exam yet, did terrible on AAMC exam 3 about 6 months ago. What is the lowest possible MCAT score that I need to get into any MD or DO schools? I'm also planning to take MCAT exam within this month with very little preparation and if it turn out really bad, will take it again on Jan 2015. Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently serving in US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and as well as Med Lab Tech(ASCP). My current sGPA is 3.63 and cGPA is 3.47. Still 11 more courses to finish for my BS and to meet the prerequisites. Hopefully, finish BS by the end of this year and finish all other courses by Spring 2015. I haven't take MCAT exam yet, did terrible on AAMC exam 3 about 6 months ago. What is the lowest possible MCAT score that I need to get into any MD or DO schools? I'm also planning to take MCAT exam within this month with very little preparation and if it turn out really bad, will take it again on Jan 2015. Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Horrible idea! Do NOT take the MCAT until you have completed all the pre reqs and have adequately studied! You still have 11 courses to complete so why are you in a hurry to take the MCAT? Adcoms want to see someone who makes good decisions, and taking the MCAT when you have not adequately prepared is most definitely a bad decision. If you can be ready to take the exam in January, take it then and save your money and application from a poorly-thought out attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
Horrible idea! Do NOT take the MCAT until you have completed all the pre reqs and have adequately studied! You still have 11 courses to complete so why are you in a hurry to take the MCAT? Adcoms want to see someone who makes good decisions, and taking the MCAT when you have not adequately prepared is most definitely a bad decision. If you can be ready to take the exam in January, take it then and save your money and application from a poorly-thought out attempt.
Thanks for the insightful advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not take the MCAT unprepared, you'll do poorly and it won't demonstrate good judgement on your part to adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user

In addition to the good advice already given, a key point in not taking the MCAT until you are ready is many schools average all of your MCAT attempts so a poor attempt will hurt you more than just having to take it again, it will bring down any good score you get later. Wait till you finish your pre-reqs. You don't need to be out of the military to have the time to properly prepare, but you need to have a job that gives you time outside of work to study.

To answer your original question, shoot for a 27 for DO schools and at least a 30 for the MD schools. (I say shoot for those, you can get lower to get in, but you never want to have your goal for a lowest possible score)

First, many thanks for your service to your country.

For MD schools, with your service, I'd say high 20s, and 23 for DO schools. Unfortunately, low MCAT scores correlate with poor performance in medical school, and high performance correlates with good performance on Boards.

In addition to the good advice already given, a key point in not taking the MCAT until you are ready is many schools average all of your MCAT attempts so a poor attempt will hurt you more than just having to take it again, it will bring down any good score you get later. Wait till you finish your pre-reqs. You don't need to be out of the military to have the time to properly prepare, but you need to have a job that gives you time outside of work to study.

To answer your original question, shoot for a 27 for DO schools and at least a 30 for the MD schools. (I say shoot for those, you can get lower to get in, but you never want to have your goal for a lowest possible score)
Thank you

For MD schools, with your service, I'd say high 20s, and 23 for DO schools. Unfortunately, low MCAT scores correlate with poor performance in medical school, and high performance correlates with good performance on Boards.
Thank you.

Do you have any suggestions regarding MCAT Test preparation, strategies, Useful books for self study students like me? Thank you very much for your optimism and encouraging post reply. Do I really have a chance for DO schools if I get 23 on MCAT? I am going to cancel the exam for this month and schedule again on December 2014 or January 2015. Will that be a good decision? I hope next time around I'll be more well prepared. Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Hello. I am a former corpsman, as well as @corpsman33 who are active on these boards. I will say that I was once in your shoes, trying to rush things. Let me just say that it is counterproductive and will lead to a subpar application. I understand where you're coming from, being an older applicant, but realize that medicine is a long, lifetime commitment. A year or two to better prepare yourself for a successful career is a good investment. Aim high.

Check out the MCAT forum

Do you have any suggestions regarding MCAT Test preparation, strategies, Useful books for self study students like me? Thank you very much for your optimism and encouraging post reply.

Some. You'd be rejected from mine, alas. I believe that you should take the exam only when ready.
Do I really have a chance for DO schools if I get 23 on MCAT? I am going to cancel the exam for this month and schedule again on December 2014 or January 2015. Will that be a good decision?