Navy "Doc" to doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc to doctor

8404 Corpsman
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a hospital corpsman in the US Navy. I had a clear career path that would've helped me get around my 70 credit hours of filler classes and horrid GPA from previous college, but then I had to jump out of a moving vehicle in Afghanistan that was on fire. Now the military programs aren't an option as I will soon be medically retired after my 11th knee surgery.

Every doctor I have worked with has told me that i need to go to med school. The MD route if they were an MD, DO school if they were a DO, or PA school if they were a PA. I understand the majority or differences in scope of practice and learning path (notable exception a DO being a surgeon).

My questions are these:

1) Will my experience doing everything from general sick call (complete SOAP notes that a provider would look over then sign off on my recommend plan) playing Mr Miyagi on combat injuries (not the serious ones, just have to make guys laugh and believe it'll be fine no matter what) and my soon to be honorable discharge count for anything in the application process?

2) My GPA with 70 credit hours is a 2.4. None of these hours are math/science. I understand that I need to bring my GPA up as much as humanly possible, that isn't an issue. I am no longer a dumb kid, I realize what I want to do. Would it be better to demonstrate my newfound sense of responsibility by retaking these courses after being out of school for 5 years or should I just essentially start a new degree program?

3) Knowing that I won't have a strong GPA, what is a good goal to shoot for on the MCAT?

I know I will become a doctor one day, whether that is MD or DO I am not sure. I just realized that I never want to have the feeling of knowing that there is medically something that can be done to help a patient but that I am not trained to do it again.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sup doc.

1) It will help. What you have there is a HUGE EC that will set you apart from the more traditional herd. It will point to medical dedication and experience, and hint at some clinical experience. It will help during the application process and give you something to talk about during the interview...but it won't off-set...

2) Your GPA, bro. As you stated, that GPA needs serious work. But if you buckle down and use that new-found focus we get as Corpsmen, you can help it out. Afterwards, if your GPA is not >3.3, consider a post-bacc for GPA repair. The 9/11 GI Bill (that sexy beast) will take care of your undergrad...and considering how many courses you will redue, could help you out with the post-bacc as well. I will leave it to more experienced people on this site to explain that bit to you.

3) As far as MCATs, shoot for the moon. As we say in the Corps, "don't cheesedick it." Study study study, pay attention during your pre-req classes whose info will reflect on the test, and take your practice exams. Always try to max out your MCATs, bro.

Good luck, mate. If you truly want to be a physician...there is nothing stopping you.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation as you, although I had really bad advisors when returning to school. There is a heavy adjustment period from service to school for a lot of members, so be prepared for that. It will be easy to lose sight of your goal, and your aspiration requires much planning. I suggest asking a physician if you can shadow them once or twice a month - preferably one you already know that's in the mil. This will ease this transition as well as keep you focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your service.

You do have a "killer EC" in your field experience. But I suggest putting that aside, emotionally, as best you can, while working on your academic bona fides. After you have the grades and the MCAT score that make you a compelling candidate, then your field experience will set you apart. Your experience does not put you ahead in lieu of academic credibility. Also: get some non-military clinical volunteering to balance things out.

Look into which states offer redemption for low GPA. Texas has a fresh start program that wipes out a 10 year old record. Michigan has 2 public med schools that only look at the last 2 years of coursework. DO schools will count only the better grade for retakes.

Otherwise, my back-of-the-napkin estimate is that if you pull a 3.7+ in 2+ years of hard science schoolwork, about half of MD schools will look at your new work seriously instead of letting that 2.4 bury you. You must apply early (June) and broadly (20+ schools) to get seen, when you have damage.

Average MCAT for MD is 31+. Average for DO is 27-28. An above average score, obviously, helps against a low cumulative GPA (but doesn't overcome it). My suggestion is to think long term with your MCAT prep, because hours-long multiple choice exams are what happen almost every week in med school and beyond. So learn test prep as a career asset.

Best of luck to you.

As a corpsman, you are the original ideal PA, as you likely know. There is a new grant to help veterans become PAs. You DO need GPA repair in order to be competitive for any of your proposed interests (PA, MD, DO).
You WANT to be a physician, so you should direct your energy toward that goal. As a corpsman I am sure you would make a fine PA, but if you already know you want to be independent, get yourself in good shape for medical school.
Thanks for your service and best wishes :)