Navy EM Info?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by HotCARLton, Dec 29, 2008.

1. HotCARLton

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was hoping that a few of you could donate some info about Navy emergency medicine. I am a 2nd year medical student, and the closer I get to my third year, the more I feel uninformed. As an Osteopathic student, would you recommend taking the USMLE if I am interested in EM or other moderately competitive specialties? On the average year how competitive is EM in the Navy? Are most deferred to civilian residencies? Would one recommend a surgical, transitional, or internal med internship?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also as a second year I have no idea what I will eventually go in to, so if any other specialties would like to comment please do.

2. BOHICA-FIGMO

BOHICA-FIGMO Belt-fed Physician
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure that matters. Just do as well as you can on the COMLEX.

Very. Portsmouth has taken exactly one intern straight through training (without GMO tour) in the 20 odd year history of the program.

Not this year my friend. We had two GME-1 deferments: 1 for neurosurgery and one for IM, presumably for hardship reasons. What they do in future years is still up in the air.

Any of those will work for EM. Transitional has about half the call months of either IM or surgery.

3. HotCARLton

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the reply. You mentioned straight through training being very competitive. Do you know how many EM residents they take per year including GMOs? Post GMO, does EM still remain as competitive as you described?

4. BOHICA-FIGMO

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    San Diego takes 8 and Portsmouth 10. There isn't any program at Bethesda. I've been told it is still very competitive coming off a GMO tour, but I don't know the stats (mathc vs didn't match) off the top of my head. I have met at least a couple of residents (some EM, some not) who had to do more than one GMO tour in order to get their residency of choice.

5. HotCARLton

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, once again thanks for the info. Given that I haven't taken step one of my boards, I don't want to get too caught up in competitiveness, but do you know of any specialties that are less competitive in the Navy than in the civilian world (excluding primary care)?

6. sethco

sethco Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That is the exact reason I would recommend that the OP take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX. If they decide to burn up their commitment with a 4 year GMO tour (i.e. Never chosen for Navy residency), they would be much more competitive in the civilian world by taking the USMLE for ACGME residencies

7. J-Rad

Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would also be wise to get the word on the street as to the general quality of the training at the military EM programs (vs. civilian). Especially useful would be people who trained civilian and worked at these programs or trained in these programs and have experience in civilian training institutions.
    Do a little legwork and I think you'll find (I think) at least two posters on this site who fit that bill.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. BOHICA-FIGMO

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, you have to realize that neither Navy EM program is at a level I trauma center, so they have to do a lot of off site work to get the necessary quals. On the flip side, the academics seem strong (from what I've seen) and I haven't heard of folks having trouble with their EM boards.

9. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor Practicing Doc and Blogger
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't PM me all at once now. :)

Posters above are accurate. The didactics are very, very good. They teach a lot to the test and the residents are quite sharp. Clinical experience at the MTF is lacking, faculty is frequently deployed, acuity is low, procedures are rare. But the residents spend something like 8 months of their 3 years elsewhere to try to make up for it. Is that enough? I don't know. I do know I'm glad I got deferred. I would trust the residents coming out of this program to care for my family members though, although I think it would take them awhile to get up to speed in a high acuity, difficult procedural environment. I think they'd get there though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor Practicing Doc and Blogger
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. You get some points for the GMO tour. But if you did crappy in your internship or have rock bottom med school grades/USMLE scores you're probably not going to get selected no matter what you did during those GMO years.

And don't count on straight through training in Navy EM unless you luck into a deferral.

11. DogFaceMedic

DogFaceMedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to add to the numbers: USAF deferred half of EM (~12-15) civilian. Army = none, all 28 matched in army programs and 3 at MCG on DoD contract. Don't know how many were rejected from EM, although the 2008 briefing states 1.63 applicants per selection in EM, up from 1.23.
    Civilian match also highly competitive this year of last.

USN says it will have more straight contracts for EM, but that is what they call a "promise" from the gov't, for what its worth. Sometimes they do what they say, somtimes they don't. But, good people in USN EM.