Navy EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some questions about Navy EM

1) It looks like the Navy does not currently have a Navy EM Intern year, that EM residents just do a transitional year, then a GMO tour, and then apply. Is that correct?

2) If that's correct, is there any particular reason why I should rotate at Navy EM sites as a medical student? I mean, I've heard they're not particularly educational, so is there any advantage to my career if I spend my time there and show I'm a good student? It seems like everyone there would have rotated out by the time I'd finished my GMO tour and got around to applying.

3) I know the Navy gives out a decent number of deferments for EM. Is there anything I can do to enhance my chances of getting a deferment? Does rotating at a Navy EM site help with that?

4) For those that have trained in the Navy, any particular site look better than the rest? I've heard that Navy EM is really mostly acute care, but is there one site that's less like that then the others?

Thank you all again. Hopefully I'll stop starting threads soon.

Members don't see this ad.

1) It looks like the Navy does not currently have a Navy EM Intern year, that EM residents just do a transitional year, then a GMO tour, and then apply. Is that correct?

2) If that's correct, is there any particular reason why I should rotate at Navy EM sites as a medical student? I mean, I've heard they're not particularly educational, so is there any advantage to my career if I spend my time there and show I'm a good student? It seems like everyone there would have rotated out by the time I'd finished my GMO tour and got around to applying.

3) I know the Navy gives out a decent number of deferments for EM. Is there anything I can do to enhance my chances of getting a deferment? Does rotating at a Navy EM site help with that?

4) For those that have trained in the Navy, any particular site look better than the rest? I've heard that Navy EM is really mostly acute care, but is there one site that's less like that then the others?

No need to rotate at any of the programs. Although, recently some people have been going straight through without having to do the GMO thing. I got the deferment and I just had to show I was competitive enough to match at a civilian program. I talked to the specialty leader at the time over the phone and that was it. Every day I'm glad I got the deferment. Based on what I have picked up from my colleagues who trained at the two Navy EM sites, they're both fairly similar. They all brag about what great out rotations they do, but trust me, we all know what that means (bottom of the totem pole).

So is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting a deferment? Anyone I can rotate will and impress? Does research help? High stats? How is who gets a deferment decided?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the emergency medicine thread and do a search. All of your questions on getting into a residency will be answered.

The Navy is HURTING big time for EM docs. They basically deploy the instant they graduate residency. There apparently is some consideration to partner with either Georgetown or GW (can't remember which) to start an EM residency at NNMC Bethesda in the 2013-ish time frame to try and increase Navy EM numbers. I really don't keep up with GME-1 selection lists, but I heard there were a number of deferments this year.

And to answer your questions:
(1) Navy EM is 3yr AFTER your GMO tour. So TY or IM or GS plus 3.
(2) It always helps to apply to get your name and face out there, i.e., show your interest.
(3)I imagine this is determined more by the overall number of people in your HPSP class than your actual credentials. As long as the Navy can fill their GME-1 slots and you are competitive for a civilian EM residency, you may be given the chance at deferment. If the Navy is short of people to fill GME-1 slots, forget about it.