Quantcast

Navy Flight Surgery vs. Dive Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LD2011

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Could some of our current / recent FSs & DMOs offer their reflections on this part of their military service? Do you like it? Would you do it again? What did you not expect that disappointed you?

One reason I signed up for HPSP was to serve as a GMO/DMO/FS after my intern year. Now I'm an MS3 getting ready to apply for residency, and I'm not sure whether I'd like to do FS or DMO (probably not GMO). I'm thinking about using my 2011 AT to do a rotation with one of them, and I'd like to hear opinions or advice if you have any.

Also, I'm applying for Ortho, and my understanding is that Ortho is all categorical now. So ortho interns would most likely do a GMO of some type but then still be guaranteed a PGY-2 spot when the come out. Is this true?

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could some of our current / recent FSs & DMOs offer their reflections on this part of their military service? Do you like it? Would you do it again? What did you not expect that disappointed you?

One reason I signed up for HPSP was to serve as a GMO/DMO/FS after my intern year. Now I'm an MS3 getting ready to apply for residency, and I'm not sure whether I'd like to do FS or DMO (probably not GMO). I'm thinking about using my 2011 AT to do a rotation with one of them, and I'd like to hear opinions or advice if you have any.

Also, I'm applying for Ortho, and my understanding is that Ortho is all categorical now. So ortho interns would most likely do a GMO of some type but then still be guaranteed a PGY-2 spot when the come out. Is this true?

Well...FS and DMO are still GMO, just 3yrs vs 2yrs because of the training. As for FS, pretty much if you get selected you pass. DMO, you need to like PT. If you are a slug who can barely pass the PRT, you probably shouldn't apply to be a DMO. Either way, you will probably end up doing a lot of tedious paperwork as the primary part of your duties.

Don't know about FSO, but DMO is very undermanned because BUMED recruiting basically sucked for 3 yrs straight. This has caused some consternation among the current DMO class who were basically handed their assignments by edict based on, go figure, needs of the Navy. But hey, this is the military; our job is to defend democracy NOT to practice it.

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for FS, according to some "senior" FS, we are undermanned as well, I heard about 40-50 spots total but I have no idea if that is correct. I know at New River, we are short a couple FS. I agree w/above, for DMO, you definitely have to be physically fit and like to PT. For FS, you could probably get by if you are a slug as long as you are not afraid of water and can swim a mile.

I was the same way after med school, I initially wanted to go straight through IM but also was in intrigued by flight medicine and going operational. Once I decided IM wasn't for me, doing FS was a no brainer because I could be operational for 3 years and get out. If you want to deploy, have a chance to fly and do pretty easy primary care stuff, then FS is the way to go IMO.