Navy Navy FM vs Civ FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DONavy2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an OMS3 Navy HPSP that will be applying FM as my primary specialty choice. My dilemma is unique to the mil match process. It is my understanding that on our rank list for mil match we can choose up to two specialty choices with civilian deferment being one of those choices. I plan on applying to all Navy FM programs available as choice #1 (Ft Belvoir, Jacksonville, Lejeune, and Pendleton). The dilemma - I am torn between applying for a second specialty choice in the Navy (IM or TY) versus applying for civilian deferment FM. Seeking advice on which to choose as my second choice and why. Ultimate goal is FM with Sports Med fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read you end up with an overall net gain [financially] when everything is said and done if you do military for the entire ride versus civilian (this is specific to FM only).

Why would you choose something else if your goal is FM?

List all your FM choices. You'll almost certainly get one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the financial incentive is with the Navy programs long term.
@backrow I certainly hope to match Navy FM as it is my #1 choice, but was just trying to figure out the best plan B on my match list.

Navy FM residency is very OB heavy. Civilian FM residencies can be OB heavy or just meet the minimum requirement.

I would also apply for a deferment. Right now the Navy doesn't have enough spots for all the FM docs they want to train so some people will get deferred.

I am an OMS3 Navy HPSP that will be applying FM as my primary specialty choice. My dilemma is unique to the mil match process. It is my understanding that on our rank list for mil match we can choose up to two specialty choices with civilian deferment being one of those choices. I plan on applying to all Navy FM programs available as choice #1 (Ft Belvoir, Jacksonville, Lejeune, and Pendleton). The dilemma - I am torn between applying for a second specialty choice in the Navy (IM or TY) versus applying for civilian deferment FM. Seeking advice on which to choose as my second choice and why. Ultimate goal is FM with Sports Med fellowship.
If your goal is sports then you can get there from IM too.

But if you really want FM then civilian deferment is a good plan.

If your goal is sports then you can get there from IM too.

But if you really want FM then civilian deferment is a good plan.

Possible, but very uncommon...peds/EM/PMR are all much more common. But agree if you want FM, then go FM. Rank AD, civ, then a PGY1 only somewhere.

Pendleton and Belvoir have the active duty fellowships so if that's your goal then those would be good options

No kidding. Does she get to practice what she wants? I'm surprised the IM SL let that happen.
Yes, my wife has a very specific vision on how she wants to practice. It is a very different path from most people who gravitate to IM. She does her own thing which is one of the many reasons she's so great :D

But it is worth noting that her sports program is within the FM department. I would hazard that most sports programs are under FM and they would probably be more likely to look after their own. FM is still probably the best route, OP, and if your goal is FM don't compromise on that.

Yes, my wife :D

It is uncommon, most go via FM. But you can get to sports via FM, IM, EM, and peds.

Keep in mind that in the military the sports med billets are usually very specifically FM, because they need to be on the FM call schedule for OB. Since sports medicine probably ties ID as the specialty that is the most attractive in the military compared to out of it would be best to do FM to keep that door open.

Keep in mind that in the military the sports med billets are usually very specifically FM, because they need to be on the FM call schedule for OB. Since sports medicine probably ties ID as the specialty that is the most attractive in the military compared to out of it would be best to do FM to keep that door open.
You're probably right, I was thinking along the lines of ACGME requirements rather than milmed. I agree that OP should probably stick to FM if sports med is their goal.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Sports med is without a doubt the long term goal, so the plan is to rank Navy FM 1 and Civ FM 2.
Also makes more sense to do that to not lose a few years lost in GMO land if I ended up with a random PGY1 --> GMO route. FM needs 3 categorical years so doing IM or TY --> GMO would set me back. Hoping for the best (Navy FM) but planning for the worst. Thanks again!

This is not entirely true. The Sports Med billet at MCRD does not take OB call. Same for the billet at BUDS and the Naval Academy. Probably same for Paris Island and Great Lakes, but I'm only speculating on those.

I would suggest to strongly consider TY as your second specialty. Modify your electives to fulfill all the FM requirements so they are easily transferable. If you do a FM or TY intern year then 2 yr billet then finish the last 2 yr of FM, all you have left is 2 yr of commitment time. Add one year for sports fellowship. You don't lose any extra time for your 4 yr payback and you get GMO time to add to your points when applying for sports. You can get the whole TY internship transferred and navy FM programs will work with you to get as many rotations to transfer. Again, this only matters if you don't get selected for FM which is very unlikely!!!

@suitup! Thanks for the recommendation! I was under the impression that a TY year would not transfer to FM because it does not count as a 'categorical' year and FM is only a 3 year program. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you needed 3 "categorical" years to complete an FM program for board eligibility? I understand your recommendation, and agree that is a great plan for payback and increases my chance for selection in a mil sports fellowship, but my concern is that the TY year would not count and I would have to start over as a FM-PGY1 post GMO. Not that one year is a deal breaker, but it would be nice to not have to repeat PGY1.

I would suggest to strongly consider TY as your second specialty. Modify your electives to fulfill all the FM requirements so they are easily transferable. If you do a FM or TY intern year then 2 yr billet then finish the last 2 yr of FM, all you have left is 2 yr of commitment time. Add one year for sports fellowship. You don't lose any extra time for your 4 yr payback and you get GMO time to add to your points when applying for sports. You can get the whole TY internship transferred and navy FM programs will work with you to get as many rotations to transfer. Again, this only matters if you don't get selected for FM which is very unlikely!!!

Unfortunately that won't work. One would only get partial credit for the first year and would probably need to do at least six months of repeated internship if they did a TY-->FM in the Navy. They are much better off doing civ FM over TY or some other internship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm stating what I was told previously from a coordinator. I think you should contact each navy fm gme coordinator and ask them. Get the info from the horse's mouth. To be honest a few additional months is nothing when looking at a career that lasts decades.