Navy GMO-Asst. Battalion Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout many of the military medicine forums I've noticed a prevalent trend regarding attitudes towards Navy GMO tours; that being, unless volunteered for, GMO tours are usually an inconvenience and a detriment to a physician’s career, medical training, and specifically the maintenance of advanced skills.

According to many on these forums, while FS and UMO tours provide a physician with many unique military experiences (i.e. going to flight/dive schools) which are attractive to physicians that desire those unique experiences (myself included), they, along with primary care GMO billets, often ****** medical training b/c the vast majority of patients are healthy active duty personnel. (Which makes sense—it’s hard to learn anything substantial from “coughs, colds, diarrhea, and rashes.”)

My question is, what about the GMO opportunity—Assistant Marine Battalion Surgeons? I would presume that being deployed and treating marines with traumatic injuries would be a good opportunity to hone one’s medical skills—especially for someone pursuing a career in EM or Surgery as I am. Although the thought of deploying is far from ideal, it seems to me that if one was going to complete a GMO tour, an Asst. Battalion Surgeon would provide the best opportunity to improve one’s medical skills and to care for our men and women in harm’s way.

Is this an accurate assessment? I would appreciate input from anybody who has a working knowledge on the subject and who could tell me what exactly what this opportunity looks like. Thanks and Gig’em.

Members don't see this ad.

Throughout many of the military medicine forums I've noticed a prevalent trend regarding attitudes towards Navy GMO tours; that being, unless volunteered for, GMO tours are usually an inconvenience and a detriment to a physician’s career, medical training, and specifically the maintenance of advanced skills.

According to many on these forums, while FS and UMO tours provide a physician with many unique military experiences (i.e. going to flight/dive schools) which are attractive to physicians that desire those unique experiences (myself included), they, along with primary care GMO billets, often ****** medical training b/c the vast majority of patients are healthy active duty personnel. (Which makes sense—it’s hard to learn anything substantial from “coughs, colds, diarrhea, and rashes.”)

My question is, what about the GMO opportunity—Assistant Marine Battalion Surgeons? I would presume that being deployed and treating marines with traumatic injuries would be a good opportunity to hone one’s medical skills—especially for someone pursuing a career in EM or Surgery as I am. Although the thought of deploying is far from ideal, it seems to me that if one was going to complete a GMO tour, an Asst. Battalion Surgeon would provide the best opportunity to improve one’s medical skills and to care for our men and women in harm’s way.

Is this an accurate assessment? I would appreciate input from anybody who has a working knowledge on the subject and who could tell me what exactly what this opportunity looks like. Thanks and Gig’em.

I have enjoyed my time green side. You might even end up as Battalion Surgeon with a PA as your ABS.

Experiences are quite variable, but if your unit goes into hot zones, you could get some decent trauma.

I want to go on the record and say that a Marine Corps battalion rates a board certified internist or family practice doc. I don't think its reasonable for a physician extender to practice independently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the thought of deploying is far from ideal, it seems to me that if one was going to complete a GMO tour, an Asst. Battalion Surgeon would provide the best opportunity to improve one’s medical skills

Not really. The great majority of a Marine GMO's practice is very basic primary care ... maybe, maybe a bit of trauma sprinkled in during deployments. But with both Iraq/Afghanistan being such mature theaters, virtually all nontrivial trauma is going to go straight to echelon 2 and bypass you completely. I was lucky and found myself colocated with a FRSS and was able to get myself folded into their ER for triage ... even found a couple of nice anesthesiologists who let me deliver some anesthesia on occasion.

On a personal and professional level, there's something to be gained (and risked) with theindependent practice GMOs have, but I didn't find it to be a challenging or fulfilling job medically speaking.

That said, I liked my Marine GMO time so much I extended my 2-year tour for a 3rd year.

and to care for our men and women in harm’s way.

Absolutely.

I have to give it to anybody who can do GMO for 2, 3, or 4 years. At my current MTF, about two hours a day is dedicated to "sick call" for young active duty personnel (Army, Marines, Airforce). Everyday I want bang my head against the wall. Without fail it's viral URIs, back or knee pain that brings them in. I couldn't imagine doing that all day long for 4 years.

Are there any females who have been a battalion surgeon that wouldn't mind providing me some feedback on your experience? I'm a long way off from a GMO tour, but I'm thinking that is what I would like to do (I am a female, contrary to my screen name on here). I know a few guys that have done it, but I would really love a female perspective! Thanks!

Are there any females who have been a battalion surgeon that wouldn't mind providing me some feedback on your experience? I'm a long way off from a GMO tour, but I'm thinking that is what I would like to do (I am a female, contrary to my screen name on here). I know a few guys that have done it, but I would really love a female perspective! Thanks!

At present no females have been BN surgeons. Infantry has just been for the guys. they have added gals in the past couple of months, but have not talked with any. It will likely be OK, but they are rather unrestrained.